1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medication taking it's toll on me

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by rusteejay, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rusteejay

I have recently come out and am concerned about my mental health (physical a little too). basically now Im out I want to begin trying relationships. Im concerned about what kind of a mental state my medication has left me. I have ADHD so naturally, I have been taking an amphetamine-based medication for over 10 years now. I stopped taking it last year and didnt take it for a long time. I started working in a stressful sales office in February and took it habitually again in March. Since then I've experienced a lot of anger and anxiety. I also feel like I now struggle to see logic and connect the dots. I feel socially isolated again. There's no real problem with my social life. It's the best its ever been. However, I still feel anxious when I say things and they aren't taken like I intended. Is it possible that the reason my teen years have been so difficult is down to this medication and its finally taking its toll on me mentally? I don't know whether I could handle day to day activities without it. Its all aboutt being professional where I am, especially when we have reps from giants in the fuel industry coming into the office regularly. It was only last week we had a visit from Shell! What im saying is that if I can't control myself then I'll be out the door. Also my anger and paranoia will affect any relationship I may end up in.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or know anything about this?

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2013 at 10:29 PM ----------

one thing I forgot to mention is that my social anxieties come from me having Aspergers' syndrome too. Not a great mix.

2. endear

Hey Rusteejay,

I think you need to sit down with your doctor and tell him/her your concerns. Perhaps you would want to use what you have just written to make sure you have a complete list of things to discuss with your physician. Do you have any co-workers at work that you can really trust? I ask that because the filter between my brain and my mouth does not always work especially when I get passionate about an issue. My friends have been told this by me and they will give me signal to chill out. I can also bounce things off of them to make sure I am not misinterpreting something that's said. Sometimes I will misinterpret statements and take things personally and then I become defensive. I found that when I shared this with a couple of co workers I trusted that they have similar issues and we all watch each others backs so no one gets out of line. Hope this is helpful.

3. rusteejay

Yeah spot on matey thank you very much! :slight_smile: