1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hippocratic Oath - dealing with doctors

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tightrope, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the term which applies to medical doctors, and maybe other health professionals, that basically says a patient's well-being is their most important concern and comes ahead of passing judgment on the patient. That means that they are to remain neutral with regard to personal characteristics or lifestyle, what a patient presents with, and how a malady was obtained.

I've been fairly vigilant about the read I get when first going to a primary care provider. For one, I try to read their bios if on a website. I try to talk to other patients who have had them. I've generally liked who I've had, on average 2 out of 3 times. I've had some who were marginally rude, and some of the nicer ones don't seem to like being asked too many questions or the fact that you do reading and research. In a way, I think that a lot of them can't relate to the ordinary person on the street since they tend to make good coin.

Have you liked your doctors and do you feel that they honor the Hippocratic Oath?

2. lukeluvznicki13

I know my doctor follows the Hippocratic Oath :slight_smile:
    Some doctors and Health Departments in certain countries have tried changing the wording and that so like for example, abortions were made legal for doctors to perform etc.

3. pippi

I have two very nice doctors. Both seem to follow the Hypocratic Oath. Both are pleasant, and I feel take the time to truly listen to me! Of course they charge me extra because I take up more time, hehehe. But they both seem genually concernced for my well being. I'd say that if someone isnt getting that in a medical health care provider, then they need to keep looking. It's important that we have good physicians that we can trust! I know a lot of friends and family who feel as if their physicians "rush" them along. And possibly don't even fully hear what they are saying. Sometimes I wonder if thats due to lack of time, or just job burnout. Maybe a shortage of physicians and an over abundance of patients. I don't know. But there are great doctors out there. Just have to find them!

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I have had about 6 doctors in the last 3 years for my back condition. The first three dismissed everything I said, saying I was to young to have the back pain I was describing, claiming I should be in therapy because I was crazy, and it wasnt till I screamed bloody murder to be referred to a PMR doctor, that I started getting results. She sent me to MRI and I had a set done of my lower back, come to find out I have pretty bad artritis and Juvenile Degenerative Disk Disease, which caused my disk to collaps on my right nerve arm between L3-L4.

So yeah, doctors are not always "all knowing" perfect people. But you should still trust them. It took me a while to find someone who was good, but the point is that I DID find someone. And now I am improving very much!