1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moisturiser?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LinkLarkin, Aug 9, 2013.

1. LinkLarkin

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking that when I'm fully out (hopefully within the next six months) I should start taking care of my skin better, but I am completely clueless about anything relating to gay stereotypes (apart from musicals!). Is there a preferred brand of moisturiser among gay men? (English or international of course.) Is twenty too late to even start moisturising? What is the routine? Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge about anything, I promise I'm intelligent enough in other areas. But any advice on this would be appreciated! (&&&)

2. Night

Night Guest

No such thing as being too late to moisturize! As for there being a preferred brand, I would doubt it. Aveeno is a good brand, as they have a lot of natural substances in their skin care products if I remember correctly - if things like that matter to you personally.

I don't like moisturizer because it makes my skin feel disgusting, but I think the most important thing is that when you use it, don't overdo it. The last thing you want is to have your skin be abnormally slimy. Less is more with moisturizer!

3. JPC

JPC Guest

It's definitely not too late and I was pretty much the exact same when I came out! Up until then I just washed my face with soap. Now I use Guerlain 'Secret de Pureté' facial cleanser and Bulldog Original Moisturiser and my face is so much better now than it used to be. They're both a little on the pricey side but they're definitely worth it.

4. TraceElement

Personally, I like body butter or shea butter on my hands and feet because they can get very dry. I like Lubriderm for my body and Clean and Clear or dove for men face moisturizers.

5. Jordz

I use Bulldog Original Moisturizer, I really like it. I only started using it a couple weeks ago and my skin already looks better. I Use it morning and night.

6. LD579

You could always start moisturizing now, if you like. It's not just something that only gay men and straight women do.

There's no preferred moisturizer brand among gay people, heh. There are many good ones out there and it's different for everyone and their skin type and what they want out of their moisturizer. It's not too late to start, heh. Some good information to consider would be what your skin type is (I assume you mean facial moisturizer?). If your face is oily, it'd be best to use a moisturizer for that kind of skin type... In contrast, if it's dry, it'd be best to use something different.

As for 'the routine', you just cleanse your face (If you don't have a cleanser, you could buy one, if you think it'd be helpful. For many, they are helpful, and it's easier to cleanse your pores with an actual product than with soap or water alone... but maybe you already have a cleanser, I suppose), wash it off, dry your face, and then put moisturizer on. That's it =) Oh, and while cleansing, it'd be best to use warm (Emphasis on warm) water so that you can clean out as much as you can get out of your pores. Make sure your hands are clean while you cleanse your face and put on moisturizer, and don't touch your face afterwards. That's pretty much it.

7. BooksJeansTea

I'm not a man but like Luthan said it really depends on your skin type. For your face try Neutrogena oil free (you can find that in the cosmetics section) they have it for every skin type. I use combination skin because some parts of my face are oilier than others. I have very sensitive skin and it does not cause breakouts or make my face shiny at all. For everything else I use bath and body works lotion (in fact, currently in love with Pure Paradise, but if you're not into feminine scents they have a line of great products for men- my ex was obsessed with "oak" or something like that).

8. LinkLarkin

Thanks guys (*hug*) You've given me a lot to think about. IT's good to hear that there isn't a preferred type, that gives me some more flexibility and I'll be sure to look into all of the brands that you've recommended to find one that's right for me.

I'm very tempted to do this! It's just that I'm planning to come out to my parents in January and although I think it would be good to drop subtle hints before then, I think that starting a moisturising routine may not be seen as particularly subtle in a lot of people's eyes :roflmao:

9. KaraBulut

The attitudes about guys and skin care are beginning to change. Historically, guys have taken better care of the exterior of their car than the exterior of their own body. These days it's not unusual for guys to moisturize and use sunscreen. Guys can even go to salons and get facials.

Exfoliation is still the line between gay and straight, though. :slight_smile:

For skin care products, it's a matter of how much you want to spend. If you're on a budget, there are lots of over-the-counter products that are fine- products made by Olay, Lancome or the Cetaphil line. If you have skin conditions that make you prone to breakouts or you have allergies or you have a little extra cash to spend, go to a day spa or the cosmetic counter at a better department store and ask to try some samples.

#9 KaraBulut, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

#10 Z3ni, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  11. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it odd that you think gay means you have to march in lock step with the stereotypes or that a 'gay' moisturizer is magically better than regular moisturizer.

Any product that has basic oils and a minor sunblock effect does the job. I personally use Vaselines line of moisturizer, usually one with E added. Its cheap, effective and doesn't stink as much as all of those other perfumed ones and it really dries without leaving an oily residue.

12. LinkLarkin

I don't know, just stereotypes I guess :slight_smile: Plus I certainly don't personally know any straight guys that concerned with skincare!

Oh, and for embedding videos, copy and paste the series of numbers and letters at the end instead of the entire URL. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure I said that. Coming out is a transition to a new stage of my life, this seems like the perfect time to me to experiment with how I want my lifestyle to be from now on, and the stereotypes seem like a perfect place to start experimenting since they're stereotypes for a reason. And I definitely didn't say there was such thing as a gay moisturiser, I just said that since so many gay men are into skincare they will probably have an opinion about which moisturisers are particularly reliable.

Thanks for the advice though!

13. Pocky

I was kinda forced into considering moisturising fairly recently. I'm taking acne medication (most people know it as accutane) which really dries out your skin.

I've found Aveeno to be quite good, as Night already suggested. It's a bit on the expensive side though.

I also use cheap Nivea hand cream - but that's just because I love the feeling of soft hands on a guy so I figure that maybe others feel the same :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sunscreen is important if you want to look after your skin. You only need about 10-15 minutes of sunlight exposure per day (to keep up your vitamin D levels) but other than that, prolonged UV exposure eventually leads to wrinkles developing sooner rather than later.

Search around, find whatever feels good on your skin and works for you :slight_smile:

14. Wells

Wells Guest

I never knew that there were gay moisturisers...
    But I always use cocoa butter

15. Pocky

I know of one...it's called Dylan O'brien :eusa_whis

16. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you have to wait until you are 'fully out' to start taking care of yourself?

It's just got me curious why you wouldn't want to start taking care of yourself now...it's not really a 'gay' thing to do you know?

17. Pocky

Because...

It's a scientific fact that gay men spend 23.7456 hours a day grooming themselves and straight men are all called 'Bruce' and wash themselves once a year with turpentine.

18. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Pppffttt....lol

I must be str8 then...and all those metro's must be....Hmmm :slight_smile:

19. Pocky

To me, it seems the idea of metro being something different to 'regular' straight guys is dying out. It's just being accepted as part of being a guy...look at how many guys are fully waxed etc. now.

20. LinkLarkin

Didn't want to start a controversy! And I don't remember saying that all gay men fit into this stereotype. I merely pointed out that this is a stereotype pertaining more to gay men than straight men, which in my personal experience is overwhelmingly true. As I said previously, I've never personally known any straight guys who are into skin care. And I don't have a problem with starting to look after my body now, I just have a problem with leaving countless bottles of moisturiser/conditioner/exfoliator lying around.

Thank you to everybody who gave helpful advice about the topic.