1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Northern, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Northern

So get to the basics I am a 5'8 16 year old teenage guy. I weight according to the scale 112, but it is supposed to be ten pounds off meaning 122. I want to know if that is normal?

Also this ties into my other question, you see I was bulimic for a while and that wasn't because I had weight problems, I have always been underweight but I was afraid of gaining weight so I was for about just shy a year. For quite some time I have been trying to stay in the 110-120 range for weight. I know it probably isn't healthy and I should see someone but, it isn't that simple.

I also have a very strong metabolism so I can eat what I want, and despite my eating disorder which I am still dealing with I have been trying to gain weight. So I also want to know if anyone knows some tips for gaining some weight?

Any help is welcome :slight_smile:

2. KnownSecret

The best way to healthily gain weight is to eat frequently. Try not to let more the 4 hrs pass before eating again. Your body is like an engine and it needs to be refueled frequently. To start off as the website at the end says, don't throw on a lot of calories just start slow.

If you are confused on what things to eat and stuff, maybe try and find a doctor that can help you find the best things to eat. Don't go the route of eating fast food, or eating things that are things you should only eat every so often. Like loosing weight there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to gain it.

This website seems to have some good information on gaining weight healthily Here

#2 KnownSecret, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Use this:
    Weight and health risks

It looks like your BMI is 18.5, which is the border between normal and underweight, so you definitely don't want to go any lower.

Why do you want to stay in a lower weight range?

I am also pretty thin (BMI 18.9) and have a high metabolism. I was always on the low end as a kid, though my growth curve was normal. That said, I never thought about losing weight, and only recently have I thought about gaining weight.

From what I've read, the main thing is to eat more frequently and increase your caloric intake (though still choosing healthy options). You may not feel hungry, but you can still eat more. Eating small snacks throughout the day will help avoid feeling too full.

4. Northern

Well I sort of have this silly fear of getting fat :icon_redf I have some issues with self image and stuff so I kind of want to stay skinny. Thing is lately I have been eating quite the amount, not junk food but still food and nothing seems to stay, and it worries me because I can lose a pound or two within a day but gaining a pound takes really long time

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So your 8 Stones in British weights, you should be between 9 Stones & 12 Stones which is 126 - 168 lbs for your height, you are under weight dude :slight_smile:

6. KaraBulut

Based upon the standard growth charts, you are about in the middle of the height chart for a 16 year old boy.

However, on the weight portion of the chart, you are in the bottom 25% of the chart which means that you are under the typical weight for a 16 year old of your height.

If you want to gain weight, then you should invest time in doing resistance and weight-lifting exercises. You might also want to keep a food journal and then calculate how many calories you are eating daily. For a 16 year old male who is moderately active, you should be consuming at least 2500 kcals per day to maintain your current weight.

7. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are 16. You are in a phase of your life where growth is 'super fast' and its hardly ever even. some guys suddenly sprout upward others suddenly expand outward. Weight should be variable and increasing over time. While its OK to have low weight to height periods due to growth spurts, its not ok to be perpetually underweight.

Its not until about age 20 that your height to weight ratio 'sets' in any clear way.

A quick BMI calculation puts you at 18.5 - that is by the charts 'underweight'.

Since you are 16 and only 5'8" - I suspect you have at least one more sudden upward growth spurt. If that happens now and you fail to gain weight along with that upward growth you will be a bag of bones.

You are most likely also expanding at the shoulders, and should be increasing in muscle mass on the long bones, back and chest. The hormones in your body are still working their magic.

I suggest that you eat more proteins, lean chicken breasts, eggs, nuts - all have pretty high levels of protein. and i suggest you start doing simple exercises, like sit ups, pull ups, push ups. This will lead to lean muscle mass growth.

Bulimia is not a thing we ignore, we seek medical attention for this eating disorder. If you are forcing yourself to purge (vomit) you are doing serious damage to your body.

The horror is by binging and starving oneself you are setting yourself up for swelling up like a balloon as your body is going to kick into survival mode and start storing as many extra calories it can in the form of your secondary fuel source: Fat.

As a child my mother starved me - forbid me food as 'punishment' more often than was healthy. As an adult I have poor joint health and other nutritional issues, such as I don't uptake and hold on to salts like a normal person, thus I am prone to low salt which makes be have moderate to severe LOW blood pressure.

One needs all the food one can get when going through puberty. It is highly possible for an under eater to not reach their full potential height. If you are genetically predisposed to be 6' tall and are not eating sufficient nutrients, you could end up being only 5'10" - and once you have passed that critical period in your life and upward growth stops, you will not grow taller.

Fitness is not found in a measurement of Weight. Arnold Swatzeneggar weighed 260 pound off season. If one does a BMI calculation for his height and weight it says he is obese. But everyone knows he was a body builder and was very fit in those years.

8. Northern

Thank you for the advice, I know I am still growing. Mostly because my legs have are not proportionate to my torso so I have ways to go.

I was just trying to get some tips on how to gain weight and be healthy. Thank you to those who have left tips or tricks or any help, it is very much so appreciated, thank you.