1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very very VERY sore legs :(

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Helen, May 14, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

Right, I did some 'body conditioning' in PE yesterday for the first time, which involved a lot of aerobics, and a lot of nasty exercises. Bear in mind that I haven't really had any proper exercise in weeks.

My legs felt kind of like jelly afterwards, & when I got home, mum (an avid swimmer and marathon runner) said 'ooh...that's going to hurt in the morning', after I told her what we did in PE. I didn't really think I was in that bad a state, fitness-wise, but evidently I was wrong. Because when I woke up this morning, and started to get out of bed, something was wrong, and at first I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong. Then it hit me.

I WAS IN AGONY. A-G-O-N-Y.

I have been in said agony all day, been late for all my lessons because all I can do is hobble, and have had to crawl onto the school bus. For an almost severely unfit person like myself, how long will it take for this muscle strain to go away, and do painkillers work?

2. Louise

Firstly your PE teacher should have made you do warm up exercises before starting and streaching exercises at the end! What was he thinking of! Anyway now you are all hurty, I know what you are going through, I started running last year... nearly crippled myself :lol:

So mama's remedy... relax your legs in a nice hot bath and gently streach the muscles as much as you can bear, do this for 5-10 minutes then sit or lie with your feet slightly raised. Take two paracetamol before going to bed and the pain will be slightly better tomorrow. The pain should only last for another day or two but it really isn't funny having to hobble everywhere and as for going down stairs! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! OW.

Your mum will be able to show you the stretching exercises you need to do.

Hope your legs feel better soon. :kiss:

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Oh, we did do warm up exercises beforehand, I'm just severely unfit :/

Thanks for the advice ^_^

4. Trumpetplyer23

Eat a lot of food with protein in it. Stuff like red meat or bananas. Or the ever popular (but really really bad tasting) protein shakes.

Also, you can buy creams to rub on your legs to help get rid of the soreness.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put deep heat on your legs, should ease the pain a bit.

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Thats normal lol, it mean the exercises works! ^_^ the more you do it the more your body will get used to it, I kinda like the feeling coz it means your progressing

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Bit of advice if you are hurt DO NOT eat chicken i dunoo why but your not spose to :]

8. KaraBulut

The name for what you're feeling is delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS. It's a normal occurrence after strenuous exercise. It is worse the morning after exercise and usually goes away within about 3 days afterward.

If you have a case where you have done strenuous exercise like this, take a dose ibuprofen or naproxyn within 2 hours of the exercise and repeat the following morning and you'll find that you will not be as sore. The other thing that will help is to do some gentle exercise like walking or massage of the sore muscles the following day since this seems to help hasten the recovery period.

If you are still sore after a couple of days, apply a sports balm that contains wintergreen (methyl salicylate) before you go to bed (in the US, Bengay or IcyHot are two common brands). It will help reduce the inflammation, it numbs the pain and helps increase the circulation in the area to promote healing. And it smells good, too.