1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysmorphia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LinkLarkin, Aug 11, 2013.

1. LinkLarkin

Please tell me somebody else on EC has struggled with BDD/some form of dysmorphia? I just almost burst into tears on a train because I caught sight of my reflection in the window :confused:

Do you have any tips on how to get past it or at least reduce its effects? :frowning2: (Short of extensive plastic surgery, that is.)

I'm already on an SSRI for depression, and I only found out today that they're meant to act against dysmorphia as well. But if anything my body image has gotten worse since I've been taking them. I really want to get off them but I don't have enough of a backbone to tell my doctor that. And I'm in counselling but I'm too embarrassed to tell my counsellor the full extent of my body image problems. So any suggestions outside of the professional help realm would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys. (*hug*)

2. KnownSecret

I have never suffered with anything like dysmorphia or anything but I have suffered from a bad body image and sometimes still have problems with that.

If the medicine you are taking is not helping and seems to be making things worst you really need to talk to your doctor/counselor because medicine is supposed to help you, not make you worst and if it is you really need to fix that because it could get a lot worst then it is and that wouldn't be good at all. It's understandable that you're embarrassed about people knowing the full extent to your body image issues, but your counselor should never judge you. If you feel really uncomfortable around your counselor and it seem like he/she is judging you I think it's time to change counselors because you need someone that will make you feel comfortable to tell them anything so that they can help you. The first step to getting help is getting everything off your chest into the open, I know this is easier said then done but it's necessary. Your counselor has probably seen it before and I bet you won't be the first person coming to him/her with dysmorphia/BDD. I myself am not the person who can really give you some advice on how to make it better, that's why your going to a counselor to have someone to talk to about these kinds of things. Your counselor will most definitely know how to help you and if not I bet she/he would refer you to someone that does! Just remember everything you say to your counselor is confidential so only you and your counselor will know it. If I was you I'd really try to tell my counselor, even if you don't tell her everything in one day it's better then keeping it bottled inside without trying to find a way to work it out. I hope you take my advice and talk to your counselor, I know that your counselor will try and help you with the best of his/her ability. I hope that everything turns out okay and that you will figure some way to make yourself feel better about yourself. I know that one of the things that makes me feel better about myself is just doing the things I love with the people I love. Good luck on your journey, again I hope you figure this out its sad to hate your image because no one around you thinks about those things to much especially if you are a good person. Just try and talk to your counselor I know it is going to be difficult but believe me sometimes things that are super hard for u are the best for u!

~Zack~

#2 KnownSecret, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. LinkLarkin

(*hug*) Thank you for the advice. I think I'll have to tell my doctor that the antidepressants aren't working, it's just stupid because I really did feel better on them for the first three months or so and it's only recently that I've gone downhill again. And to be honest I think I'm probably in a worse state now than I was before I started taking them.

It's not so much that I'm uncomfortable telling my counsellor in particular about it as that I'm uncomfortable telling anybody about it. I mean, I pointed out to her the main features that are making me uncomfortable because I was pretty sure she'd already have seen them and formulated a judgement of them, even if she's too professional to make that obvious. But I just don't know if I can bring myself to be honest about every little physical flaw I have because a) I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to it and b) she'll probably just think I'm being vain. Which I guess I am in a way.

I like your idea about just doing what I love with who I love as well but that just opens up a whole new can of worms. The depression is preventing me from enjoying anything anymore and the BDD/whatever it is that's making me feel this way is preventing me from wanting to spend time with anybody in a social context. My other coping mechanisms are not recommended, I really just need a way to be able to leave the house every morning without expending all my energy on having to motivate myself. :confused:

Has seriously nobody else around here had BDD? :confused: :frowning2:

4. endear

Sometimes it is easier to write it out first rather than blurt it out. If it seems that would be easier for you than write your concerns down to your counselor and hand them the note. Then they know what is troubling you and will assist you in discussing the issue.

5. Amerigo

personally, i hated my appearance and took less care of it before i accepted myself as being gay, hence learned to love myself. perhaps it's not your appearance itself, perhaps it's a deep-rooted hatred of your overall self?

to this day i have trouble liking my appearance, i just think - it could be worse

and i look forward to getting a nose job! :eusa_danc

6. LinkLarkin

Thank you for the advice (*hug*) I guess writing it all down is a good way of getting it out of my system anyway. I'll ask my counsellor first though because I'm really having sessions for depression so she might not think that this is a priority.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do hate myself very much, but believe me when I say that this is a result of my appearance. If you knew what I looked like you would not consider me to be boyfriend material. I know I wouldn't date me if I met me.

Good for you having the courage to get a nose job though, although I'm sure you don't need it. God knows I need a nose job, a facelift, a stomach tuck... All I can afford at the moment is a haircut...

---

It looks like I really alone in this then. That's disappointing. Not for you guys, obviously, but it feels rather lonely in this dysmorphic bubble...