1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it what I think it is or something else?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SamAlex728, May 16, 2008.

1. SamAlex728

Ok, so I have an idea why I sound like a dying frog when I sing lately. Now is it just the stupid puberty? The reason I'm asking is because it hurts. So much that I can't listen to songs I wanna sing along with, because it hurts too much. Is it something else? Or just what I've been wanting to "get it over with" for about a year? So annoying.

2. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its just puberty, your trying to strain your voice into areas it just cant go anymore thats why it hurts. Dont worry about it too much, my advice would be to lay off the singing until you get a good idea of what your new range will be.

And getting over it will take some time, im 17 and my voice can still crack from time to time (though its usally when I drink coffee) I know how much us teens hate to hear it, but sometimes you just have to be pacient.

3. LOVEjames

I don't recall my throat hurting when I was going through puberty... so I'm not really sure. If it weren't for that then I would definitely say that it was puberty. But it could just be because you sing so much and it's just hurting because of excess strain.

4. KaraBulut

When you say "hurts"- are you saying that your throat hurts or that you're emotionally hurt because your singing is messed up right now?

5. darkestknight

When I got a bad sore throat and also a bad case of nose block, I sound like Max Payne. :grin:

Well, the lozenges are there for you first... :grin:

6. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds like what one of the posters above said. If your voice is breaking and you're still trying to reach notes that your voice can no longer handle, it'll hurt.

7. Adrian

Adrian Guest

I was attempting to pass a singing exam just before my voice started breaking and I started feeling discomfort after singing, etc.

It's most likely just your voice changing. Maybe try singing an octave lower or something?

8. Defraction

Hehe, I kinda got depressed when my voice was breaking. All my songs had a soft voice to them and I was really disappointed when I couldn't sing to them without sounding strange.

Even still, there are loads of songs that I listen to often that have high pitched vocals, but I either try to strain doing it myself or just sing deeply as if I'm singing a male/female duet. I got used to it in the end.

If you're feeling pain... that'll be the strain... (rhyme!) If you're emotionally hurt, then you'll get used to it. At least you're becoming to sound like a man now. :slight_smile:

9. SamAlex728

i dont sing that much
    throat hurts
    the thing is, im not
    thats basically it, the softer voice
    IT HURTS!!!

10. Nitro

The above clarification certainly does help. There is however one point I would like to mull over a bit:

It *could* be that you are not aware of the extent of your voice change - even if it is quite rapid. I remember in the space of 2 months my voice lowered from a high-pitched squeaks to a "This is CBC Radio" voice. Talking over the phone got a whole lot funnier for the first bit after that as my tessitura was nearly the same as my father's. And of course those telephone mix-ups were my only clue that something had changed.

Recommendations thus far: (i) investigate this further to make sure something more serious is not at play (ii) pain is your body's sign of warning you "don't do that". Listen to your body. (iii) if you play your cards right, at the end of voice change you can end up with a great lower range and a decent falsetto. For this reason, not singing for the rest of the year is not the most desirable course of action to take.

---

As a side note that isn't really relevant to the topic, what is your range anyway?
    (for myself it is E2 to G4 [remember C4 = middle C])

11. SamAlex728

idk
    i just sing along with the music on my comp
    no way will i sing anywhere else
    just 4 fun

12. LOVEjames

Well, if it hurts, then stop. That's about as simple as it gets.

13. Gumtree

I sing as a performer and have for a long time but i had to stop for 9-11 ish weeks when i was 12 because my voice was breaking; it took a long time for me to get to know my new voice range and what i should and shouldn't try to reach (that includes volume and depth aswel as trying to hit high notes; sometimes soft notes would hurt just as much).

14. JSG

JSG Guest

My voice is pretty deep, most high sounds are impossible for me. I can go very deep, deep, medium and thats about it, even the sortof higher pitched sounds have a bassy vibration to them.