1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i stop cutting myself

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by michaelman, Aug 20, 2013.

1. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i use to cut myself when i was mad at myself but now it has become adickting HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go see a doctor...like now...seriously

3. Lucky Oshawott

Think about how even though you're doing this to yourself, you deserve better. You don't have to cut to solve anything. Seeing someone like a Doctor is a good idea. It could help you to have a professional to confide in. At least then, you'd have someone to help talk you through the tougher times knowing that anything you say is in confidence.

Just remember that no matter what happens, you won't be judged by a doctor or anyone who truly loves you. Stay Strong.

4. Data

Data Guest

:frowning2: Sad to hear that you're going through this.

I don't really know what to say, so I'll fall back on a logical thought pathway.

If you're addicted to cutting and it makes you feel good (the pain?), your brain is releasing endorphins when you do it.

Perhaps if you stop cutting when you get angry and instead lift weights or run till you're exhausted or in pain, you can substitute excercise instead of cutting. Excercise releases the same endorphins, so it's worth a shot.

Other then that, I think it'd be best if other members give advice. Sorry. :frowning2:

5. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this...

I think that going to see a professional, such as a doctor or a counselor, might be a good idea. They would be able to help you overcome and beat this urge to cut yourself, or it could at least give you someone to talk to about this. Or, if you feel uncomfortable about going to see someone like this, at least confiding in a very close friend would do better than not talking to anyone at all, but I do think that going to see a pro would be more beneficial...

Aside from that, like Data said, whenever you get the urge to do it, do anything you can to prevent yourself from doing it. Occupy yourself through exercise, or a hobby, or going to be with friends that will take your mind away from it. Actually, why not sing? You love to sing right? Doing something you love to do is a great way to take your mind off of things, and as a fellow singer, I find that singing is a great way to convey emotions and get things off your chest, while also being relaxing!

I'm sorry I can't really be much help, since I'm not really all that great with advice, but I try! I really hope things will start to look up for you. You can overcome this, everyone who has ever had this problem can, they just need willpower and that extra helping hand. Stay strong, stay positive, and we'll all be here to support ya (*hug*)(*hug*)

6. Data

Data Guest

Mmmmm, yes if I can just stress one thing it's that nobody here will judge you. Nobody here wants you to hurt yourself. Neither will a therapist, so please do keep that in mind.

7. Kyllani

Talking to a therapist is a great idea. They can help you learn better ways of coping, and can help your process the way you're feeling.

Until you can see a counselor or therapist of some sort, try holding an ice cube in your hand when you want to cut. Hold it until it you can't take it anymore, or it melts...whichever comes first.

You are strong enough to beat this, you just might need a little guidance along the way. You can do it though. I cut myself for a long time, but I finally started getting help and it's been 6 years now that I haven't self-harmed...so, I believe that you can do it too.

Just remember, we'll all be here for you!

8. smokey-knows-all

i went to my doctor and got put on meds which didnt work and made me a psycho killer basically but she wouldnt listen and kept raising the dose and i got worse and worse and finally I was suicidal and I told my dad and he took me to the mental hospital and they put me on prozac and i got a bunch better and I quit drinking and it has now been a month since i've cut or drank. You just need support and maybe some sort of a replacement behavior until you get to a better spot in life. I started smoking (not healthy i know) and i suddenly didnt have the urge to cut or get wasted or anything. I think I'm addicted to addiction or something... but seriously dude if you need support message me I'm usually on here every night (*hug*)

9. LinkLarkin

Yep go and see a doctor. That's what I did and I haven't self harmed for over two months.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    One word: PSYCHIATRIST.

11. Jim1454

The advice you've got so far has been great. With this or any addiction, you've developed a coping mechanism that has now become a problem itself. And if your coping mechanism is also your problem, then you have a vicious cycle that is difficult to get out of.

So I would agree that when the urge strikes, you need to do anything else. And if you slip and give in to the urge, think about what you were feeling or doing before the urge struck you - and develop an action plan of sorts to prepare for next time. Does that make sense? Let me - or any of the advisors - know if you want to talk one on one. Don't ever hesitate to reach out for help.

12. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had cut myself for three years before I stopped, I know how addicting it is/ can become. When I went through the process of quitting I found that putting some rubber bands on my wrist and snapping them pretty hard helped a ton when I was feeling really stressed/angry. It'll leave welts for a while but it's better than scars :slight_smile: I still did cut while doing that but eventually stopped cutting and then gradually stopped using the rubber bands. I know it sounds kind of silly, but hey whatever works. Also, try getting into some hobbies, or anything to get your mind off the urge to cut. Talk to someone, a friend, parent, counselor if things get out of hand. They are there to help :slight_smile: best of luck :slight_smile:

13. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Tank you allllll!!!!!!

14. Aldrick

Hey Michaelman. (*hug*)

Cutting is unfortunately not that uncommon - you'll find that quite a number of people here on EC suffer from it. So, you aren't alone with this problem.

I mostly agree with the advice that you should see a medical professional. I would encourage you to bring up the topic with your General Practice doctor and ask for a recommendation or a referral to someone who is experienced in dealing with people who self-harm.

I've heard of an interesting tactic that could help you avoid cutting. When you feel the very strong urge coming on, instead of cutting yourself - go to your freezer and pull out some ice cubes. Hold them in your hands. This allows you to avoid doing damage to yourself, but at the same time allows you to feel intense sensations in your hands. This is suppose to be an intermediate step between stopping the cutting all together, while at the same time trying to deal with and manage what you're feeling. It will hopefully allow you to avoid scars and serious harm.

You might want to try that and see if it helps you avoid the actual cutting. It's not ideal, but if it is helpful it's an improvement over your current situation. You're still going to want to speak to someone who is trained and specialized in helping people with issues with self-harm.

15. Bryar Thorne

This helped me as well as having a therapist to talk to just about what was really bothering me. Another thing that helped for me was eating more fruits during the day instead of other junky snacks to keep my blood sugar more normalized.

You really do deserve better than the hurt you're feeling, I'm sure you're a great person with a lot to offer the world, even if you don't quite know what it is yet. Things will be okay even though it maybe seems bad now. (*hug*)

16. A Girl of Grey

I'm not going to say I'm sorry because I know it doesn't make it better. I went through something like this and finally stopped about...a month ago? Yeah. You have some options:

1) SEE A DOCTOR. RIGHT FREAKING NOW.
    2)Tell a friend and ask them if you can call them when you feel like cutting. It helps.
    3)Look at your scars. I'm sure you have them. Do you really want to have more of them?
    4) Throw out whatever it is you're using; scissors, shaving razors, heavy-duty razor blades; throw them out!
    5) Put what it is you use in a box with a combo lock and have someone else set the lock. Lock it.

I hope this helps. You really do feel better when you stop. I wish you didn't have to go through the destructive pain, but things will get better. (*hug*)

#16 A Girl of Grey, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013