1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by qwr42, Aug 25, 2013.

1. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im about 16. Not really active, i eat sorta healthy. So acne would be a sort of an unavoidable problem. But normally its been under control under a few products. But now its crazy! ive been using everything and it wont go away! What sort of stuff do you guys know works?(besides exercising, there isnt much i can do under the circumstances)

2. lukeluvznicki13

Well I don't have a serious problem but I know my sister takes prescripted medicine for heavy acne so that it is controlled and doesn't go out of control. You can also always experiment with using different acne creams etc. :slight_smile:

3. Pocky

A good diet and exercise are just always good for your wellbeing, but won't treat acne.

Acne is the result of an overproduction of sebum (due to hormonal changes) which gets clogged in your pores. Bacteria absolutely love it in there so they come on in, feed on your dead skin cells etc. (Yum!)

You want to use facial cleansers that are low on alcohol but contain either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid (I found salicylic acid to be more effective) and use a soap-free body wash.

You can use a cream called differin to treat the acne itself. If it's quite bad then you can also take antibiotics as well. You need to see a doc for both of these.

Moisturise with a very light, non-comodogenic moisturiser for sensitive skin. Again, cetaphil do these but you can also get ones like Aveeno.

If your acne just continues to get worse, consider seeing your doctor for accutane. It's pretty potent stuff and has some potential side effects so you need to be careful, but it pretty much eliminates acne.

4. lukeluvznicki13

why did i find this part hilarious o.o xD

5. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ive heard acutane is really good. If it doesnt get better (from what you said) by next check up or whatever ill ask my doctor.

6. RoguesWolfe

So I'll be the odd one out here. I don't use any acne products at all, mainly because most of the stuff made it where going outside hurt my face. I have super delicate skin so I have to watch it. But being curious one day I found using oatmeal and then after rinsing my face and using Irish Spring Aloe soap works wonders and makes your skin soft. But, that's just me.

7. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had some serious acne flare ups when I was your age and I tried everything. Nothing worked, but when I went to the dermatologist and got some professional treatment, it cleared immediately.

Since serious acne does have the potential to scar I would advise you not to wait to go to the doctor.

Hope this helps you.

Milan

8. Randy Renaud

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    drink a lot of water..it wil drain out the impurities out of the body..this might help a lot.

9. catatonie

i always found that the harsher I was with my skin, the worse it got, which meant all the different products became useless. It really depends on your skin type, and what kind of pimples you are getting, but I found a few simple things worked a lot better than those bottle regimes.

Pore scrubs, low or without alcohol and acids, there's really no reason for your scrub to have "active ingredients" since it's just to loosen dead skin. You can look up sugar scrubs, they're super easy and cheap to make at home too.
    A light cleanser (Which I found became unnecessary after a while), like a mild soap, without alcohol or acid.
    Pure tea tree oil!! Holy fuck this worked like no other for me. My friend who had terrible acne found out about it and recommended it to me, so I gave it a shot, and it cut down on the size and redness of my zits nearly immediately. It's very strong stuff though and has the potential to "burn", though I use it without diluting it and haven't had a problem yet (just don't get it in your eyes/on your lips)
    I have really greasy skin and find moisturisers are really gross and uncomfortable, but I started using aloe (non-alcohol based gel) instead, it's more of a personal preference, but moisturising to your skin type will help.

Other things I found helped were starting to drink tons of water like Randy says (i did this for other reasons and found my skin was a lot healthier overall), keeping up on hygiene, sleeping on clean pillows, keeping your hair out of your face, avoiding touching your face too much, and steaming/icing your face occasionally to really get in the pores.

Also, if you're getting zits where you shave (if you shave!), be aware that shaving equipment can be gross and that mosturising/shaving correctly to avoid razor burn will help.

#9 catatonie, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    cool, going out to the store today, ill try to pick up some of that stuff. I have heard that works really good too so ill try it out. I think you are right about treating it harsher makes it worse. Ill try just moisturizing and using a light cleanser. Ill post here if it works :thumbsup:

11. jae

jae

Qwr42,

Depending on the type of acne you have, and it sounds like a serious case, consult with your dermatologist about doing a swab on your face. After they do the swab they will grow the bacteria in a petri dish to determine what medicines will be more effective in resolving your acne issue.

I went through this with my eldest son, it took over a year for us to allow him to take the accutane due to the many side effects. accutane is typically a last resort in curing any type of bacterial infection that causes acne, but there are other forms of medicine that they can give you ( if the right strain of bacteria is found) that will have the same affect minus the side effects that accutane comes with.

the accutane regimen usually last about 5 months but you will notice substantial clearing in as little as 6 weeks. that combidned with ultraviolet treatment to your face will reduce or eliminate any scarring that is already occurred.

12. Northern

A good tip I have and use is this.

Sleep on a towel (new one) each night. I know that sounds weird but it works, you see if you just sleep on a pillow it will rub the oils all over your face. With a good towel however, it will take all the oils and so when you wake up less oily face and it takes care of the oils all night long :slight_smile:

13. Colours

I've had mild acne for the past 2-ish years, I've tried a few facewash things but they never really helped, and I'm scared of trying out new products in case it would get worse. Instead I try to stick with things like drinking more water, getting more sleep, sleeping with a fresh towel on your pillow tends to help as well. Those kinda things. And of course stop touching your face! I feel that in periods where I try to pay attention to such things, my skin generally is much clearer. It's just really hard to keep up

14. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I am starting to become an expert on acne it seems. I have been on many high strength drugs, and have finally been stuck with Roaccutane and Isotretonoin (steroids). These are a last resort as I have been dealing with a really bad case of Acne for over two years.
    Just to let you know, it took 6 months to get from a doctor to a dermatologist, so if its bad get to the doctors ASAP.
    With mine, no products worked. And the only way they managed to get it under control was to put me on an unusually high dose of meds.
    I had sebaceous cysts and lots of blackheads, and many spots.
    If my symptoms, sound similar to your. Go to your GP tomorrow. And when you see a dermatologist, if its bad enough, ask about Roaccutane.

15. Bryar Thorne

Another thing to remember about Accutane is sometimes it gets a lot worse before it gets better but not to stop on it if that happens no matter how discouraging it may seem. :slight_smile: It just takes time to make it all better. I took it for a while when I was younger and it got a bit worse for me before it got better but it was well worth it in the end. :slight_smile:

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Rub some olive oil on the affected areas of your face. Will clear it up in no time.

17. CuriousFrosty21

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ive found tht going through all the medications and acne help kits say they will help clear acne. and yes some do. but each person has different reactions to the medication. back in my teen age years i had horrible acne. i went through clearasol and proactive. sure they went away. but then they came back twice as horrible. i quit tht ish in an instant so heres wht ive been doing [again it may help, it might not because we are all different. so im not promising tht itll work, but give it a try]

rinse your hands with hot water [dnt use soap. the chemicals in the soap are for hands not yer face] then cup yer hands with some hot water and rub it on your face as if you were washing it. once the waters gone from the 'cup' fill up and continue. it may be gross but if you have any acne while your rising your face, pop them [i kno i kno gross. but acne is dirt trapped in your skin. if you pop them and then use the cup and rinse method, youll be cleaning out the dirt from the pore.] when it comes to around the nose, use your index finger on the side of your nose to get those crevices. when your done with all tht, take a simple one use towel, and dry your face and simply throw it away and your done.

another good place to wash yer face is before you get out of the shower. if you take hot showers more power to ya. the steam from the hot water opens up you pores and with the constant running water running on your face from the shower head, you can get a good amount of the hidden 'dirt, oils, etc.' thts trapped in your pores.

hope it works and best of luck trying to subside your acne :grin:

18. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    true about Accutane. because of the type of drug, it might be worse in the first three months. but its designed as a cure. so although there is flaring but it should stop completely after 6 months to 2 years, depending on how bad.

19. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I previously used Minox 50mg Tablets from my doctor. They are routed off minocycline so it makes them fairly potent. They cleared up my acne completely but they caused irregular liver function so I had to be taken off them. (I literally collapsed after 6 months and had to be rushed to hospital). Now that doesn't happen to everyone and I know people who have had so much success.

Minox is a last option from a doctor before they refer to dermatology though so ask them about medicated topical treatments. I've tried a few, some work better than others and some might smell going on but nobody notices I Swear.

As far as at the moment. Just be very careful about the products you use. Avoid soaps/shower gels that are "fragranced". And Clean your face thoroughly twice a day.

20. Jay1983

Jay1983 Guest

It's advisable to change your bed sheets and pillow cases once in a week. Our bodies shed millions of skin cells each day. In addition, our bodies secrete sweats and oils.

And don't forget, dust mites.