1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Shift

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by cali, Sep 1, 2013.

1. cali

Hey, I'll be going onto night shift in a few months and was wondering if anyone here does or has done night shift before? Was it easy to adapt? Did you develop any health problems? Thanks in advance!

2. KazTastic

Are you working night shift all week, or alternating between different shifts? If it's the former, it probably isn't much worse for you than working 9-5, but if it's the latter, your body will get messed around a lot, which can cause all sorts of health problems.

It will probably take a couple of weeks to get used to night shift. Make sure you set up a good sleeping pattern, and stick to it all week, even on days off.

3. AAASAS

I've had friends do the nightshift.

THe only way to avoid problems it can cause is to get as much sunlight as possible while you do the nightshift, and to sleep properly during the day.

I wouldn't recommend night shift to anyone, everyone I know that has done it absolutely hated it.

4. cali

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good, I'll be working 4 nights on, 4 nights 2nd on call and 4 nights off.

5. vinznitintin27

Floating around the internet. City of Angels
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've worked night shift before. How many hours are you working? Best advice is sleep when you get home, try the best you can to rest up. Like most things, I'm sure it takes some getting used to though. What kind of job are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

6. Stephany

I work T-F 11pm-830am at a group home for Traumatic Brain Injury adults. It's tough.
    I refuse to do shift work (where it changes) I just flat out do nights. I can tell you, no one will respect that you work nights. I get calls all day long... I try and remind people that it would be like me calling them at 2am, but no one seems to care.

Get a routine down. Don't try and be a hero and stay awake for 48 hours because you want to hang with friends or family. It will kill you. You need sleep. Find time to sleep. It's crucial for night shift survival. Drink a lot of water. Stay away from energy drinks if you can.

Good luck!

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work 5p til done usually 3-3:30 and it doesn't bother me cause if I were unemployed and didn't have an alarm clock I'd stay up til about sunrise and sleep til about 3pm anyway.
    My only problem is right now I live with family and like Skyriclyn said they try getting me outta bed at like 10am but complain if I wake them up at 1am.

The bigget thing I like about night shift is that it is typically more relaxed. Durring the day there is usually a boss there with a title like "Regonal Manager of...." or "Vice President of..." and dude is a complete ass who wants everything done by the book. Usually he goes home when I come in (maybe 30min after) and all I deal with is a night manager who, as long as you get your stuff done, will basically let you get away with murder.

8. Pocky

1) Make your bedroom as dark as possible and go to sleep as soon as you get home. Turn off your phone and let those close to you know that it's sleep time for you on the days you work.

2) Ensure you still eat breakfast, lunch & dinner. Just push it all back a few hours. Prepare meals in advance so you aren't tempted to go for junk food.

3) Keep away from coffee or energy drinks in the last 2 hours of your shift.

4) A bit of exercise and sun exposure between when you wake up and start work

5) Make the most of your days off (within reason). You do miss a bit working night shifts so sleep/wake up at regular times on your days off.

Pretty much all the stuff I didn't do when I spent 6 months working 10pm-6am, 5 days a week :dead:

9. cali

Thanks for all your comments! I'm a vet btw, so I'll be doing overnight emergency work. Not sure about length of shift yet. Will keep all your comments in mind, think I'm going to need all the help I can get :slight_smile:

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I've done 5:00pm - 3:00am 6 days a week before, first few days I was tired, but you just adapt to it I guess, besides I'm more of a nights person.

Just don't think about it, you feel better.

11. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have done 'Graveyard' shifts for 2 years, my health suffered because I couldn't sleep during the day, I was eating at odd times if at all.

A person I know is in his 28th year of doing Graveyard shifts and wouldn't have it any other way.

It depends entirely on the person, some people can and some people can't work those hours....give it a go and see what happens.