1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rhinoplasty

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by etiggy, Sep 3, 2013.

1. etiggy

In the middle of moving to London.That's the plan.
    I just had rhinoplasty yesterday, spent the night in the clinic. I'm a bit worried, that the whole experience won't turn out as good as I imagined. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, bot of course still curious what to expect.
    My nose was not that horrible to begin with, but it was pointy and the ridge was narrow, so when I smiled I reminded myself to a stork.
    After I booked the appointment my pal was joking with the south park episode on this matter, that I would become increadibly handsome after the surgery and now it's quite hard no to expect great results from it.
    I'm a bit worried that the whole affair gonna fire backwards. Life does that sometimes, and I just spent 31 years living with a nose I was self concious about, I'm not prepared to spend another 31 with an incredibly ungly one.
    Anybody got some first hand experience?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations for going through with it.
    No experience here - but I wished I had had the courage to do it at your age!! Now I probably will not.
    Best of luck with the unveiling... It will take time to lose the swelling I bet !!

3. etiggy

Thanks. Plastic surgery is still frowned upon, so I did not tell many of my friends and practicly nobody of my family. Just some info for others who think about it: it does not hurt. Like AT ALL. The biggest risk lies in anesthesia, which was a shot half an hour before the operation to calm me down and reduce the production of saliva, the next one comes directly on the operating table an boooooy it's a kick! :slight_smile: The anesthesiologist told me to think something pleasant and then I'm gonna dream about that, but in reallity I did not dream at all, the next thing I remember is that I'm lying in my bed. The first night was mainly about drowsiness and dry mouth, that was quite uncomfortable actually. Next morning the tampons were removed and now I'm cooking milk-rice at home because I had a craving for it :slight_smile:)))) Of course, I know, the first two weeks should be resting at home and I'm fully intended to do that.

#3 etiggy, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it frowned upon in London? Really? I know so many people in the U.S., girls and guys, who have had that procedure done. Depending on where in the U.S., it is now really accepted. I know about 10 girls and 10 guys, at least, who had this done before 25. I think that being a cosmetic surgery junkie is less accepted, in that it is ridiculed. As for nose jobs (rhinoplasty), I think that some guys are crazy to get rid of their large noses while others look better with smaller noses. The ethical surgeon sometimes steers people he or she doesn't think is a good candidate away. Evidently, your surgeon thought you were a good candidate. I'm glad it went well. They can do them under "twilight sleep." Yes, the anesthesia is the biggest risk, but that risk is reduced significantly by a local anesthesic, or "twilight sleep." When I had all my wisdom teeth pulled out, I did not go the referred oral surgeon, because he used a general, and went to one who used "twilight sleep." It was great. Also, in some cases, the nose is actually broken during the procedure to reset it. Whack! Another risk is the formation of scar tissue, but it's relatively rare, less than 2%. This is because there's a cavity, so to speak, as the nose is adjusting to new contours, and some tissue might accumulate in some such areas. Also, most of the swelling goes away in 2 to 4 weeks, but for all of it to go away, it takes longer than that. Wear those black and blue eyes like a badge of honor, sir, and congrats on going through with it!

For a laugh, here's a star who doesn't need a nose job (Peter Miller of "Mambo Italiano")

http://images3.cinema.de/imedia/5269/1985269,MRum1fCz2O6_eLuS_9LWpLPsl+_dc+gypBT4ClHIYRs8v08QtOX2DQwrnNiUnZDUI7Ha2thhvrFfFi_5u51tnA==.jpg

And here's a star who does (Jamie Farr of the "MASH" TV series), but it was his calling card

http://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/jamiefarr.jpg?w=620

#4 Tightrope, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  5. Mrcake

If you think that a nose job would help you out, then go ahead and get one. I personally think that they are a waste of cash, but some people really do have crazy body features that need some fixing up sometimes. I'm sure that your nose job will be fine, and I'm sure that you will enjoy the results. Just don't be one of those people who becomes a plastic guy and gets nose jobs and plastic surgery\botox all the time - botox is bad and looks bad, don't do it :grin:

6. etiggy

Thanks for extra bits and pieces and the encouragement! :slight_smile:
    Yeah, I'm not in London yet, a bit to the east. Ok, much more to the east. :slight_smile:
    I have never in my life met a person, who admited he or she had any kind of plastic surgery. Once one of my workmates "confessed" with teary eyes that she regularly has botox. She was a bit drunk at the xmas party, believe me, it was quite comical. :grin:

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

Thanks for the kind words!
    :grin: :grin: :grin: Yeah, I got some links saved just to be sure I stay on on the right track :grin: :grin: :grin:
    The best one is this

7. Ohhai

Sure it'll turn out fine :slight_smile: I'd love a nose job, been self conscious for years!

8. Diego89

I'ld love a nose job as well, my nose isn't actually that bad but I think it could look better and improve my side face view. I wouldn't tell people either until it's done. Let us know how it went!

9. etiggy

I had the same thing going on! I was fine looking from the front, but from the side... ehm, like a swordfish :grin:
    Now it's much smaller, even with the bandages, and the tip looks much-much better. I'm sure it's not gonna make me more handsome or change my look drastically, but it should diminsh the inconsistency my old nose caused when I turned my head to the side.
    Second day is a charm, the puffiness around my eyes are finally going down and I'm not dizzy from the anesthetics anymore. Next monday the bandage comes off, I cannot wait to go out to the street again! :slight_smile:))

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    etiggy:

Just curious, did they apply a bandage or bandages, or does it have a rigid component to it, sort of like a splint?

Out of the 20+ I've known who have done this, everybody got a result they were pleased with. For about half of them, I'd say their nose was not textbook shaped, but they didn't really need it but, hey, if they wanted it ... For the other half, they sort of needed it, in the sense that their appearance would benefit greatly from it.

It's always interesting to see before and after pictures in the literature of people who are willing to "share." Most would not be!

11. etiggy

Yes, it does have a rigid component, the base covers my whole nose and it's connected to a top part on my forehead, running above my eyebrows. It's taped aaaaaaall over to keep it in place, it feels like I have glasses on.
    And this brings us to the thrid day's story. :slight_smile:
    This morning I woke up to a weird noise. It sounded like when somebody takes off a band-aid. I jumped out of bed immediately and run to the bathroom, looking into the mirror - I mean trying to look and see something at all, I'm not exactly a morning person. I was touching the tapes all over my face, looking for the one that got loose. It were the bottom ones on my forehead, the little bastards did not stick to my skin anymore. Thankfully the top ones do the majority of the job, so the whole thing kept in place just fine, but I got four more days to go, cannot afford even one renegade tape on my face! So I cleaned my skin in the area, picked up the roll the doc gave me and put another layer on top of the current one, half covering it, half extending over it. Hope it holds until monday.
    Bruises: my eyelids and the skin under my eyes turned yellow overnight. I mean the parts that were not red. Because the red spots just went magenta. Yeah, really :slight_smile: I guess they gonna go throught the regular blue-green phase first. Boy, I'm gonna be sassy! :grin:
    Shape of my nose: I'm in the phase when I'm more and more convinced that the whole operation did not worth it. I have a feeling that the outcome won't be visible. See, I opted out of nostril-opening reduction because the doc said they would leave a visible scar and I definitely did not want that. Now, looking in the mirror, I think when the bandage comes off my nose just gonna be as big as it was before, because at the moment it's just pressed down. I searched for some photos of myself in my computer to remind me how my nose used to look. Well, if everything else fails it's still gonna be shorter and the tip is definitely gone. The problem is I'm not sure shorter-width-the-same-width gonna look so good. We will see, we will see, four and a half more days to go! (!)

#11 etiggy, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've got days/ weeks of swelling to go down so don't jump to early conclusions ... I bet you'll be happy with it..

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stay cool. Your doctor probably told you that you won't see the final result until the swelling subsides. All of it. Swelling and discoloration are mother nature's way of telling you there has been a trauma to the area and that it is healing. Heck, even when I go for a physical and a blood draw, if the phlebotomist didn't use the Midas touch, I go from yellow, to purple, to yellow, and then back to normal. Cheers.

14. etiggy

Day four:
    I sneezed this morning. Twice.
    I managed to let it out through my mouth as instructed to. It sounded like the loud coursing of an old, toothless, very-very drunk man. Hope the neighbours heard it. I'm running a little social experiment in the block with the rent prices.
    The stuffiness in my nose is getting better, hopefully at least partly because I started saline washes yesterday. My sense of smell came back yesterday for an hour or two, but it's gone again. I should be thanksfull though. There is no nice way to explain why, so lets just say blood is quite sticky but won't stay fresh for days without refrigeration.
    Eyes are still yellow and magenta, no new colors today, it's a bit of a bummer. I had to put on my squirrel socks to gain a little more style. Those were my big guns, got nothing for tomorrow if blue patches don't appear on my upper eyelids.

Amm, I gonna fry some turkey with peas for lunch. Or dinner. Something halfway between lunch and dinner. (What would you call that? Dunch?) I've got a sh*tload of peas, courtesy of my mother. Anybody got some recipe for peas, please pm me. I'm officially getting sick of peas.

#14 etiggy, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Etiggy ... do keep us posted .... give time for the swelling to be resolved ... before you know it ... you will see the nose that you had always wanted on Monday.

16. etiggy

Thanks for your kind reply, lostman! :slight_smile: Next monday is the date the bandage comes off, my nose gonna be still pretty much swelled up then. The doc estimates I gonna need another week and a half before all the bruises and major swelling diminishes to a level that it won't be noticable in public. I intend to make daily updates in the following two weeks about my healing process.

#16 etiggy, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  17. etiggy

Day five:
    I dreamt of blowing my nose. And washing my face. I'm at a pont when my skin start to gently itch under the bandage. It's an unsettling sensation for multiple reasons. For once I feel like a dirty, dirty boy, second I feel like a dirty, dirty boy. My skin got so oily under the post-op tapes that they started to come loose, especially the ones on my forehead. But I come up with an ingenious idea. I took a belt - yeah, belt as in pants and belt - and hook it around my head. Now I look reeeeeally badass, Rambo badass.
    Stuffines continues to get better, now I can breathe trough my nose most of the time. I keep doing the saline washes for now. Bruises around my eyes seem to get better, the red spots are visibly healing and turning yellow, and when I mean quick I mean reeeeeally quick. I don't know if this supposed to happen naturally or using heparin sodium gel on them twice a day has anything to do to it, but either way, I'm happy for the results.

18. etiggy

P.S.: Some tips for nasal congestion in this phase: get some mint or camphor candies, they work great. Sipping hot tea also alleviates stuffiness somewhat. Combine these two with saline washes, you will feel much-much more comfortable!

19. etiggy

Day six:
    I've got week-old raccoon carcasses burried in my nostrils. That's pretty much all I can say about it. Probably scabs started to come off and, well, the smell is no less than penetrant. I had to put some parfume on my upper lips to make it bearable. Other than that my left nostril still bleeds a little sometimes but the right one is pretty much healed.
    The secondary tapes on my forehead - the ones I put on as an extra support on day two or three - started to "leak" glue. My hair sticks to it, my fingers stick to it, everything sticks to it! Tomorrow, tomorrow evening finally I will be able to wash my face properly once again. I'm gonna wash it, wash it hard, wash the frak out of the little bitch until it screams and than I'm gonna stop and wait for it to beg to wash it again, yeeaaaaah!
    Bruises are fading, even the yellow ones. I had to look for the edges this morning where the yellowness stops and I must say it was exceptionally hard to find it. If things keep healing like this my educated guess is I won't have any visible discoloration by wednesday.
    Cannot wait for tomorrow afternoon. Doc said between 4 and 5 pm. It's 27 more hours. I'm counting the minutes now, not the days, yeeey! :grin:

20. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All the best !!!!! :slight_smile: