1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to hookup once in a while?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fragile, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Fragile

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't had hookup in a while.. (5 month) but for some reason I get this urge to do it. Whenever I get this feeling I just jack off and get it over it but then I have the feeling coming back to me again. I guess I am addicted. The thing is I don't want to through that road where I hookup with random guys and then I start to feel bad about myself and get depressed. But I don't know if feeling depressed will happen again. When I hookup I do get shaky since I'm the host and it's my parents house. I also made a to do list on my wall and one of them says ''no sex''.

My question is will it be okay if I hookup once in a while?

or

How can I get rid of my sex addiction?

^ There's another story. I remember when I was at LGBT group and we came up with a topic about sex. The leader of the group said if you are in a relationship that is just mostly about sex then it's not a relationship. You won't find that true relationship later on in the future if you're addicted to it.

2. AKTodd

Wanting sex with another person from time to time is not the same as being addicted. Unless you were doing a LOT more sex in the past than you mention here.

I don't see anything wrong with hookups as long as one understands what is going on and what the goal is. The goal is to get off and get sexual release, not to find the love of your life, nor even necessarily a friend. If you're looking for either of those you will most likely be disappointed statistically speaking. Not that it never happens (in a sense it did with my partner and I), but the odds are not high. If you're fine with all that, then go forth and conquer (while being safe of course, both in terms of safe sex and just safe behavior since you're dealing with a stranger).

The other side of this issue is how doing it makes you feel. If you feel bad about it and get depressed, that to me is more important than issues of whether hookups are objectively good or bad per se. If they make you unhappy, then they aren't good for you.

I guess I would ask why you don't take steps to maybe meet someone you could have sex with on a regular basis, whether that be a relationship or a FWB/fuckbuddy situation. Either of these seem likely to be safer than random hookups, although I don't know how you will feel about the latter options.

Todd