1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased walking and foot pain, college lifestyle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by theMaverick, Sep 4, 2013.

1. theMaverick

As many of you may recall, I was planning on moving on to the campus of the University I am attending and living in the dorms. Well, I did it. It's been going pretty well, except for one thing I have noticed in the past couple of days. I walk a lot (walked a lot, I actually just bought a bike to ride on campus and today is day two for that). I tried wearing proper shoes for walking, but they made my feet hurt, which I found odd, plus it has been so incredibly hot, that I said screw it, I'm just gonna wear sandals. No foot pain or anything, until this weekend. My right foot, near the arch, sometimes feels like it's strained. I know I'm a big guy and I weigh a lot and I shouldn't have worn sandals to do the kinds of walking I've been doing (several miles a day), but since I've bought the bike I've gone back to wearing tennis shoes. The pain in my foot is not constant, and on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd rank it maybe a 3 or 4. Will it go away eventually or did I mess up something bad? My feet aren't swollen and I've been increasing my water intake this week. The first week or two I was drinking a lot of soda and I wasn't eating very well, but this well I've resolved to change all that.

2. RapidJoe

RapidJoe Guest

It should go away if you let it heal up. I had that same problem when I fist joke the Military. Especially basic, we marched everywhere (something like 90km total). The best thing I've found is getting a good pair of shoes (or boots) with good padding and a cheep little brace. I bought one when I got to AIT and haven't had foot pain sense. It's more than lily just a small sprain.

3. LigLog

You might need inserts in your shoes or arch supports. It sounds like a mild version of what I have.

4. Mysz

Inserts do the trick for me, especially when wearing shoes with little to no padding, like converse. If your tennis shoes are old, then they'll also cause pain.

5. suninthesky

You should work on foot strengthening exercises. Also be sure to stretch out your calves, because foot pain can come from tight calves sometimes.

6. RapidJoe

RapidJoe Guest

Take a tennis ball and roll your foot around on it. That helps to stretch the arch out.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gel insoles with some arch support do the trick for me. They could help with your problem, but no promises.

8. Ticklish Fish

Ah0hahaha, texas weather college problem.

When I first started college, it was so much more walking than high school, and the heat was terrible for my stamina too! xD

I will say bring some water with you to ease the heat, and like others said, work on leg muscles a little. Also, it might be because your feet is not adapt to so much walking yet, so on days you dont have classes and stuff, try to rest up your feet. Maybe your backpack have quite a bit of stuff and it's weighing on your feet? I notice you didn't include that? I don't know ._.

9. LigLog

Definitely arch support. My advice would be to see a podiatrist.

10. theMaverick

Well I've taken to riding a bike more than I walk now, and today it feels better, so maybe it just needed time. The shoes I have are kind of old and starting to wear out, but I'm stuck with them for now.

11. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I broke my foot my foot a few years ago, and what the podiatrist suggested was to wear running shoes with superfeet in them as much as possible, I haven’t had a problem since.

Probably would work for you as well.

12. theMaverick

I'll have to check into that! Thanks!