1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cuts in my mouth and lips (non-std related)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anthonythegamer, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Today, I woke up with a few split lips and the inside of my mouth has a cut and I don't know where they came from. Maybe it's the hot and dry weather in SoCal lately (90-100 degrees fahrenheit and 10-20% humidity).

Any tips to help them heal quickly?

2. TraceElement

Vasoline and Carmex help me. Try not to lick your lips and don't play with the cuts. Since the temp is high, drink a few extra cups of water to keep hydrated.

3. Gen

Gen

The mouth is full of sensitive tissues so if this is the first time, and it doesn't become a common occurrence, it's probably just some hyperactivity from your sleep added with the dry weather. The mouth contains some of your fastest regenerating tissues, which is fortunate because we are clearly restricted on the creams and bandages we can put in there.

If they're very small cuts, the best thing to do would be to just leave them alone. Though if they have some depth too them, it could help to wash out your mouth with warm water and around a spoon full of salt (morning and night).

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

As Gen said, I'd highly advise mouth/salt washes. Simply because the mouth is the dirtiest part of the human body, full of all sorts of bacteria. He's also right about the regenerative part however so it'll heal quickly.

Don't bother covering it with gels or that sort of thing. They don't block bacteria entering, and they contain antiseptic qualities. While antiseptic stuff does kill bacteria, it also slows down the healing process, so you're better off sticking to salt rinses every few hours and it'll heal fine.