1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it the right time to have sex in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Rolando4, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Rolando4

I'm sorry, I know this question's a little weird. But I was just wondering, when do you think is the right time to take your relationship to the next level? And by that I mean sex. It seems like some people do it the first week they're with someone, which seems way too early for me. Am I the only one nowadays that would rather wait a few months....?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

As in anal? If so then that would usually be up to whoever bottoms. While there are some tops who would like to wait too, usually they're not too fussed. The right time is when you're ready and generally want to have sex.

Personally I'm not fussed about time, I'd be up for it the first day and also willing to wait a few months if the bottom isn't ready. I don't really think sex is a big deal though, not for me anyway.

3. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It just depends on what you think is the right time. When I'm single it is nothing out of the ordinary for me to have nsa sex (usually just oral). If you are someone who I want a relationship with and we fool around on the first date then the relationship will probably wind up being a fling I had sex with for a while. If you are willing to wait a bit (say a month or so) to actually let feelings develop before we do anything then there is a better chance of the relationship going somewhere. And as it progresses and I become more trusting/used to you I tend to open up more sexually.

But the right time for sex varies from person to person. Nobody can tell you when it's 'the right time' thats up to you and your partner.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

It just depends on what you think is the right time. When I'm single it is nothing out of the ordinary for me to have nsa sex (usually just oral). If you are someone who I want a relationship with and we fool around on the first date then the relationship will probably wind up being a fling I had sex with for a while. If you are willing to wait a bit (say a month or so) to actually let feelings develop before we do anything then there is a better chance of the relationship going somewhere. And as it progresses and I become more trusting/used to you I tend to open up more sexually. It really depends on what someone is looking for the first two can be hella fun but not near as rewarding as the last one.

But the right time for sex varies from person to person. Nobody can tell you when it's 'the right time' thats up to you and your partner.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

It just depends on what you think is the right time. When I'm single it is nothing out of the ordinary for me to have nsa sex (usually just oral). If you are someone who I want a relationship with and we fool around on the first date then the relationship will probably wind up being a fling I had sex with for a while. If you are willing to wait a bit (say a month or so) to actually let feelings develop before we do anything then there is a better chance of the relationship going somewhere. And as it progresses and I become more trusting/used to you I tend to open up more sexually.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd have to say it's when those involved in the relationship are all ready, and how long you anticpiate the relationship lasting. I have to agree with redneck, the longer you wait to get your pants off togeather, the longer the relationship is likely to last, primarily because if you have sex too early in the relationship, that's all it's going to end up being about. If you wait, typically, you'll be able to find more common interests, and things to help fuel the relationship to the long term.

#4 confuzzled82, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. Saint Otaku

Agreed.

And I must say how I respect those who will wait for such intimacy! All in your own time, and in the time of your (boy/girl)friend :slight_smile:

6. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the sharing .....

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must confess that my first thought when I read the thread title was: "between 9 and 10PM. Though just after waking up is a good time too!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On the more helpful side: I agree with the others it highly depends on the actual people involved, and how they go about the relationship. Having sex after knowing each other for a week is very different depending on whether you spent the week going on 2 dates that each lasted 2 hours, or if you spent it going on a hiking trip, talking to each other 24/7

Generally, I think my preferred time is "after both really had a good talk about what they expect from the relationship, and what exactly they expect from sex".
    That way, both can be really sure they're not doing it because of a sense of "it's expected of me", or in the first fit of hormones.

Mind you, the above is how it works for me, personally. It cannot be stressed enough that that's not really a general rule. I know people who went slow and broke up, while other people ended up in years-ling stable relationships that were originally based on nsa sex. So the most important thing is to know when the right time is for you!

8. lukeluvznicki13

When you and your partner both feel you are ready to go to the sex level in your relationship then do it.
    Don't pressurize your partner and don't let him pressurize you.
    It can be a casual, comfortable conversation and you can even ask your partner when he think you can have sex etc.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had sex with one guy months after we first started dating.
    With another guy, I had sex three hours after meeting him for the first time.

It just depends on what you both feel like doing. You can take things as fast or as slow as you'd like.

...incidentally, the guy I had sex with right away? That's my longest lasting relationship. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. LinkLarkin

I'm with you OP. I think there's a lot to be gained by waiting. Personally I'd probably wait a few dates before going so much as first base. So don't worry about it. If your partner wants to have a proper relationship, they'll respect your feelings - and if they don't, they're not worth chasing after.

11. ScatteredEarth

Slow is good. Don't rush into things because if something bad happens that breaks you guys up, atleast you can know that he really doesn't have much to use against you :slight_smile:

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you and your partner are ready. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

13. frkn frk

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    When you and they are wise enough to know that you will be together for life. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on the couple I think. Some people wait a few hours, some wait months or years. Personally speaking, I would wait two years before I slept with someone. It sounds crazy but I deal with serious trust issues regarding sex that I have to know the person well enough for that. For those that aren't looking for something serious though, I don't see the problem with fast banging. But I think It's better to wait IF you want to build a long relationship with the person.

15. Frost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't agree with the longer you wait the longer the relationship will be, that just depends on the person. Some of the longest relationships I've had we had sex within the first week (if not within the first few hours of meeting). I mean, I am man, he's a man, we both really want sex! Why wait?

Not that I'm saying to just jump in and go for you. I respect you waiting and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

That being said, I think the respectable time is a good month - that's about 3 - 4 dates, maybe a bit more. About 2 or 3 months would be cool. I personally haven't had to wait that long, but I would wonder why the long wait. But that might be just me. But 1 - 3 months or a couple dates would be good.