1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have HIV? Or does it sound like I do? Please help me!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ohlookitssid, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Ohlookitssid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 16 years old, bi and closeted to everyone. Well about a month ago I met this guy way older than me on Craigslist and we gave each other blowjobs, then a week later I met this other guy and this time only he gave me a blowjob (I feel really horrible, guilty and desperate for doing it but I'm doing my best to move on from it). Both said they were STD free and I never swallowed semen at all! Well like I said that was a month ago and starting today Ive felt a little sick (nothing severe, barely runny nose and soar throat but the soar throat is gone now) and I have no rash, night sweats, mouth/genital ulcers, swollen lymph glands or diarrhea. There have been A LOT of students at my school getting sick, so it may be that. I wanted to get tested but I don't want my parents to find out (I'm only 16 and can't drive yet). Does it sound like I have HIV? Or am I just paranoid?

2. GayNerd

If you never swallowed Semen, you should be fine. But if you are genuinely worried, you should get tested. It might freak your parents out, but it's better to be sure than to keep wondering.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

My moneys on paranoid. I very very highly doubt you got HIV. Okay, so my first question is - did you have ANY cuts/ulcers in your mouth at all during these blowjobs? And these also include micro cuts such as brushing your teeth before giving a blowjob, as these increase the odds of contracting an STD.

The odds of receiving HIV even if you had cuts is extremely low though considering you didn't swallow. Also, even if you did swallow the odds of getting HIV are again, very low. The only time I'd personally be worried about that is if you had a throat infection or something at the time, that can cause inflammation/cuts along your throat. You're way more likely to contract other STDs.

I actually have an extremely sore throat right now, I think it's just a virus going around at this sort of time of the year. If it was HIV, it's unlikely you'd just have a sore throat and runny nose. People often recognise possible HIV as receiving very flu-like symptoms shortly after contracting it. This will include feeling very unwell, headaches/migraines, having to stay in bed, having no energy at all, not being able to eat well, being more sensitive to light etc.

However, you're the paranoid type clearly, as am I unfortunately, it's annoying to bare I know. But I don't think you'll be fine psychologically till you get checked out. So, if it's still on your mind, get checked after 6 months. If you have it, it'll show on the test, but you wont have it.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Zaio on this. I think you just have paranoia and whatever is going around your school. Getting yourself tested will solve the former, and most likely some time (and your body's immune system) will solve the later.

5. Ohlookitssid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had no cuts or ulcers in my mouth during either of the blowjobs. I don't feel extremely sick at all, it feels like just a tiny cold. I don't know how I could get tested without my parents finding out and I REALLY don't want them finding out. I'm starting to doubt I have it too but I'm not 100% sure. The only reason I even hooked up with those 2 guys was because I am really really lonely and I don't know where to even start looking for a relationship. I'm thinking about coming out to my mom tonight and I probably will. I just really hope this isn't HIV :'( :'( still kinda scared

6. GayNerd

I am in no way trying to scare you. But if you do have HIV, and you do not tell your parents you want to get tested, it's better if your parents find out if you get tested for it, than to find out the hard way.

You sound paranoid, but it's ultimately your decision to get tested.

7. Ohlookitssid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I go to my physician (doctors office) and I get tested there, will they tell my parents or is it just between my doctor and I?

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That can vary slightly based on your age and location. Presuming you are in the United States, 16-18 is kinda a grey area. In most states, you are over the age of consent, and can be held criminally responsible for your actions, but you are young enough you don't have all the freedoms that come from reaching the age of majority. This extends into health care as well. And, if you go to your doctor's office to get tested, and are on your parents insurance, they likely will find out about the test itself simply from looking at the insurance bill/statement. (Insurance companies send statements of what they have paid out on their policies, because there are often limits on how much they will cover) If you check with your local health department, you can find out where there are free confidential or anonymous HIV tests available. Note that they are often required to report positive results to the state, but based on what you put in your first post, you're probably negative.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way to be absolutely sure is to get tested. I'd say you're pretty much okay, but if you think you might have been infected, then get tested.

If you're in the United States (I forgot to look at your location status), then this is the website for you:

National HIV and STD Testing Resources

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're fine. Oral sex is considered lower risk, and not ingesting fluids lessens the risk even more, to practically nothing. Still, oral sex is nothing to take lightly, and can cause pesky bacterial infections.

If you are in a city or an urban area that's fairly progressive, you've got choices. Some community centers or reach out groups are testing via "rapid testing" for free. It involves either an oral swab or a finger prick. You get the results from a trained counselor in 20 to 30 minutes. Then, go out and get yourself an awesome yogurt swirl with all the toppings!

I think it's just a coincidence and the fact that some bug is going around. As for the other minor bacterial stuff, the incubation period is short and you're going on a month, so you probably don't need to worry about that either. RELAX. As for the 16 versus 18, the places that do the test don't have to know your age, I don't think, and are anonymous. Also, you should look for an anonymous test site. The public health world wants people to know their status, so take advantage of a free, public program.

I understand where you're at. The minute I don't feel just right, my mind starts to wander. However, I think you'll be fine.

#10 Tightrope, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  11. starry

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The real problem here that you should be most concerned about is meeting up with "way older" strangers off of Craigslist. You shouldn't be doing that. You are putting yourself at high risk for contracting an STD by meeting up with people off craigslist for sex, especially people who are "way older" then you who have likely had many many many sexual partners.
    Do not assume the people you are talking to on the internet are good people. Not to sound like your dad, but there really are a lot of bad people out there and you are not only putting yourself at risk for contracting an STD but being raped or worse. When you go out with these guys do you let anybody know you are going out with somebody whom you met off the internet or where you are going or when you should be back? Or who this person is? If you aren't then what if something were to happen to you nobody would know where to go looking for you or something bad may have happened to you until it was too late.
    I'm assuming these men do not know you are actually 16? You are putting these guys at risk of becoming a registered sex offender for the rest of there life and ruin there careers and entire life. I have no sympathy for you. Sorry. What you are doing is wrong. If these men know you are 16 what they are doing is also wrong.
    Tough Love.

#11 starry, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Depends, where are you located? If you're in the US then I'm unsure, but if you're in the UK then you can go to a sexual health clinic and no, they won't tell your parents Will they tell my parents? - Live Well - NHS Choices

There's no point getting tested now though, it wont show up just yet. The HIV test doesn't actually test for HIV itself, it tests for the antibodies you produce when you attempt to fight the virus. The detection of these antibodies is sketchy however, as people tend to produce them at different times. However, after 6 months pretty much 99.9% of people would start producing them, so if you get tested after 6 months it'll show up if you have it.

There are some very advanced tests out there now that would show up HIV probably within a few days, but it would be very expensive to perform and is not standard practice. You're best to ease your mind for 6 months before going to a sexual health clinic.

13. lukeluvznicki13

If you have HIV, your immune system will slowly be closing down etc and would get sick very easily.
    You could quite possibly just only have caught a bug from a fellow school student etc. Or you could've gotten an illness from whichever guy you had oral sex with etc. It probably isn't an STD or HIV, but if you are really that concerned, then perhaps get tested.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably could have been clearer in my post. The 16-18 range was more about your regular doctor and insurance, not the free tests. They're not going to find out about the free tests unless you tell them.

15. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    HIV doesn't kick in in a month. Most people who are infected take years before they begin to show symptoms. Anyways, now that you're sexually active, you definitely should get checked out regularly.