1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diet and Gender (Effects on Mood)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by drwinchester, Sep 9, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So. I've been looking into the effects of diet on a trans* body. Inspired by a post Ryuichi made about how the presence of andronyns in their diet had great effects on their mood (TL;DR- being andro, avoiding andronyns lead to sluggish and ill tempered behavior).

So I wondered if by altering my diet, I could influence my mood based on the amount of estrogen and tetosterone production encouraged.

For a little background (in case there are newcomers), I am biologically female but male identified. I suffer from anxiety, depression, and self harm/suicidal idealization, along with gender dysphoria. All of these are beginning to seriously hamper my ability to function.

The past two days, I've been taking steps to reduce foods I know that encourage estrogen production (anything with soy) and increasing my consumption of foods reported to encourage tetosterone production (bananas, lean meats, eggs, etc).

Already, I've noticed a marked difference. I'm not as dysphoric as usual, my mood's more stable (fewer ups and downs), and my suicidal/self harming urges are less frequent.

I haven't played around with my diet long enough to prove this has any correlation with my mood. Could be a mood swing for all I know (TMI but not shark week). Not even discounting the idea of a placebo effect.

But could there be something to my diet and hormone production that could have affects on my mood? And if so, what are some foods to watch out for either because they encourage estrogen or tetosterone production?

Thanks. :slight_smile: