1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hangover

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zak, May 26, 2008.

1. Zak

Zak

How do you get rid of a hangover?

2. davo-man

The night before put a big bottle of water in the fridge, then as soon as you wake up have that bottle handy, and drink as much as you can. I dunno about anyone else, but this helps me immensely. Has to be very cold water, though

3. Louise

Drink a litre of water before you go to bed and you won't have a headache. In the morning if you are feeling groggy drink orange juice or any fruit juice high in vitamin C, it wil give you some energy and help restore your electrolites.

4. dhutchid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yh litre of water before bed, two painkillers as well if its a heavy night.

5. Zak

Zak

good...thnks Louise and Davo.......i feel terrible! im gonna go the the water now. this isnt too much is it?

Last night at the wedding I had 1 screwdriver, 2 roy rodgers, 5 shirley temples with a splash of skyy, 1 glass of strbrry skyy.....and sum green thing that they gave me. mangori sour or sumthing like that.

6. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Prevention is better than cure, drink water before you go to bed.

7. Zak

Zak

^That is soo true

8. DylanBoy

stay away from pain killers. you could get really sick, it happened to a friend of mine. sorry to disagree with you dhutchild.

water before you go to bed + gatorade and oj always does the trick. frankly though, water before bed is more effective than anything the next morning.

9. Zak

Zak

i can ahve my brother(he is a paramedic) to give me an IV.

10. s5m1

There is no sure fire way to get rid of a hangover. I am speaking from experience. Re-hydrating yourself with huge amounts of fluids is key. Also, staying hydrated while drinking is a good way to lesson a hangover the next day. The reality is, though, that the only 100% perfect way to avoid a hangover is not to drink too much.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed. Your liver is already working hard trying to clear all the alcohol out of your system. Adding pain killers just gives it more work to do and slows the process. They also don't do much to help with the pain.

Plenty of water, plenty of fruit juice or fruit, and go and lie in a dark room.

Next time, try to avoid the problem by having a juice drink or water between each alcoholic drink. I like J2O which is fruit juice, sugar and water - just what you need to compensate for the effects of the alcohol. If I have one of those between each pint I feel much better in the morning, and still have a good evening!

12. Tim

Tim

I don't mean to be nosy, but why did you drink that much when you're only 13? You're growing, I hope you aren't doing it that much, as drinking a lot that young can have some side effects...

13. KaraBulut

Never take pain medications that contain acetaminophen/paracetamol (aka Tylenol in the US) before or after drinking.

These pain medicines are processed by the liver, as is alcohol. When you take acetaminophen/paracetamol with alcohol you can cause permanent damage to your liver.

14. cc6log

I don't think anyone has said this. Working out gets rid of my hangovers fast. It is a miserable, miserable time working out with a hangover but from the time I started working out to the time I'm done it's night and day.

15. sexyalex

taking pills, NO
    drinking a liter of water upon alchohol? DOUBLE NO

i mean come on! drinking a liter of water? u go out, drink up a storm and going to srink more to go to bed....UNCONCIOUSLY?! all ur gonna do is piss the bed.
    *fullstop*

you don't get rid of hangovers. hangovers are there to stay until they wear off. however, u can PREVENT hangovers by chewing on chunks ice between drinks, sweating it off (usally by dancing) getting the alchohol out ur system through the use of lympth before it consumes the blood, and most importantly drinking what u can manage.

if you however got tipsy and felt concusions and achs *hangovers* best to ware i off painless by drinking tomato juice, mixed vegetable juice, resting in bed on ur back wiht ur pillow under your feet(elevated) and ur head flat on the bed. These proceedures help allot of people, including myself.

check into it. and don't pee the bed...:dry:

please...

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed. As Karabulut explained, some pain killers taken while your system is trying to deal with alcohol can cause liver damage. They don't work for hang-overs anyway.

drinking a liter of water upon alchohol? DOUBLE NO

I agree with that too, though some people find it helps.

To me it seems to be too late. The water or other liquid to rehydrate you should be drunk between the alcoholic drinks, not once you get home.

That much water before going to bed would make me feel even more sick and also need to get up to go to the toilet a few dimes during the night. So I get less sleep and feel worse the next day.

I have a juice drink between each alcoholic drink. It helps to rehydrate, replace sugars and vitamin C which reduces the hangover, plus it means you probably drink less alcohol through the evening which obviously reduces the likelihood of hangover too.

However if you are going out with the aim of getting totally hammered and out of your head, then you can expect a hangover and there is not much you can do to minimise it.

I haven't tried that lying position (I will next time), but fruit juice and other liquids do help as they add what your body needs to help get rid of the alcohol. I find tea and coffee make me feel worse.

There is no quick-fix instant cure though. You can help reduce the hangover by drinking more sensibly and help ease the symptoms, but your body still needs time to process and get rid of the alcohol.

17. Evilmonkey

tut tut tut... you are so wrong...

i HAVE FOUND THE CURE!!! kindof...
    before you go out on a bender, have a berocca. once your fairly drunk, try and have a water for every 2 drinks you have, or thereabouts. also drink gatorade before you get home to bed, and if ya can.
    in short berocca, gatorade and water. none of this pissy 'moderation'!!!

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My absolutely fail-safe cure for hangovers? Not getting drunk. Trust me - I've done it all my life, and I've never had a single hangover!

But once it kicks in? Gatorade. Or, even better, Pedialite bars.

Lex

19. smartguy

a hangover is dehydration
    so yea, drink water

20. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I.... umm... yeah. Agree. Sorry but it is weird, you drank in one night like double of what I've drunk in my whole life.