1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Me again, *sigh*) A slightly delicate matter

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Helen, May 27, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

Um, well, I don't think I'll go into raptured details this time. Basically, what I want to know is, what kind of foods should I steer well away from (excluding beans) in order to avoid a bit of excess gas?

2. Tim

Tim

Well, I know other then beans, some big gas causes are Potatoes, Broccoli, Cabbage, and Eggs. (I've heard about eggs, but I dun get gas from eggs, so eh)

3. JSG

JSG Guest

^What he said, except some don't cause excessive gas but rather the more... putrid smelling type.
    Cauliflower is terrible, my neighbor used to eat loads and eggs too >.<

4. Jerr

Starches. Like bread and such. Ugh. I accidentally overate me some starches one day... twas awful. belched like a maniac and had some very bad gas.

This was a long time ago. haha.

I have learned.

Doesn't stop me from partaking in any sort of food.... unless I have something special planned that night. Then I just eat something very basic.

5. LOVEjames

Foods That Contribute to Gas Production

Legumes
    Most beans, especially dried beans and peas, baked beans, soy beans, lima beans

Milk & milk products
    Milk; ice cream; and cheese

Vegetables
    Cabbage; radishes; onions; broccoli; Brussels sprouts; cauliflower; cucumbers; sauerkraut; kohlrabi; asparagus

Root vegetables
    Potatoes; rutabaga; turnips

Fruits
    Prunes; apricots; apples; raisins; bananas

Cereals, breads
    All foods thst contain wheat and wheat products including cereals, breads, and pastries. Check labels.

Fatty foods
    Pan-fried or deep-fried foods; fatty meats; rich cream sauces and gravies; pastries. (While fatty foods are not carbohydrates, they too can contribute to intestinal gas.)

Liquids
    Carbonated beverages, medications, or powders

From here.

6. Alexander

funny how everything good for you is on that list ^_^

7. MeskElil

well, *ahem* gas is good for you, so it makes sense that the stuff that's good for you contributes to it.

8. Vampyrecat

the reason you body produces those gases is because they are able to be quickly digested, and can often leave yeasts/fibres/bacteria's which smell. *yay for year 11 biology!*

9. KaraBulut

Two common things that are issues with younger people - sodas and sugar-free candies/gums.

Many of these foods on the gas-producer list are not easily digested by the human GI system, so the bacteria in our GI systems digest them. Unfortunately, the bacteria also produce gas in that process. If this is a problem for you, then there are enzymes that you can by at the pharmacy that will help you digest these foods. Or you can just avoid the foods that cause you problems.

People from certain ethnic groups also lack the abillity to fully digest one of the sugars in milk and milk products (like ice cream). If you have problems with milk, there's an enzyme called lactase that you can buy at the pharmacy that you can take with milk to help digest it.