1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Muscle Issues

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zaio, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC,

So, unfortunately I've recently received two minor injuries, however they're a massive inconvenience for me at the moment, as I am starting some jobs soon that will require movement.

1. - I'm not sure what has actually happened here, but I was playing Xbox and reached over to grab my phone, and something just started hurting loads, my leg seemed to be angled slightly to the left and if I tried to align it normally there was quite a lot of pain, I figured I twisted/dislocated something. Anyway, I slowly raised myself with my arms then put pressure on it, and something clicked in my leg then the pretty moderate pain was gone. However, it's still very uncomfortable and a little painful, causing me to limp occasionally. What actually happened here and how long will it take to resolve itself?

2. - Me and a friend were jokingly being a little rough with each other, he grabbed me very forcefully and pulled me to him (we do that quite a bit but what happened after has never happened before), something started hurting quite a lot on my upper right shoulder blade/lower neck. I can fully turn my head left with only a little discomfort, but when I turn my head fully right I have to do it slowly because it's painful, it's even painful if I do it slowly. The pain seems to flare on my upper right shoulder blade still too. That particular night it was so painful I couldn't sleep on my side. My first guess was a pinched nerve or something, but I really have no knowledge of these types of muscle injuries.

Can anyone give some insight on when these issues are likely to resolve? I haven't had anything like this in a very long time, how inconvenient that these two things happen just after I get a trial shift for a job starting soon :dry:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so weird, I had the same thing (your neck problem) happen to me a few weeks ago. I was drying my hair normally and my head jerked a certain way, I heard/felt a crack in my lower neck, followed by sharp pain. Subsequently, the pain radiated to my shoulder and down my right arm, with a certain degree of numbness but also definite weakness.

Went to see the doc who suggested it may be a herniated disk (definitely not the best scenario), the pain was intense and I couldn't find any position that was comfortable, sleeping on my side was impossible too.

Go see a doctor as soon as possible, for me the pain is gone, but I'm getting an MRI on the 23rd of October anyway (it takes that long to get one of those in these parts...) just to rule out a herniated disk, I hope...most likely in my case it was a severe case of a pinched nerve.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ahhh I've had that happen loads of times before (the head-jerk thing), it's always resolved itself within a few days though. I'm pretty sure this is a muscle issue because the pain seems to flare up on the exact location he gripped very forcefully.

Oh well hopefully they'll resolve soon. I'm not too worried now though because I've cancelled the trial shift for the job I mentioned, as I've been accepted for a different full time job, which lucky for me doesn't require much movement, so this leg/neck thing shouldn't be much of an issue. Thank you for taking the time to read and contribute though! :slight_smile: sorry to hear about your neck and good luck with the MRI results, I doubt it's a herniated disc though if the pain is gone, so you should be fine :slight_smile:

4. Aussir

I had that thing with the leg happening when I was crouched to paint the wall area near the floor... I still don't know how to describe what happened very well...

At any rate, it's has now been almost 3 months and it still gives me issues sometimes, especially if I squat. I went to the doctor but being the useless crap that they are here, all he told me is that it can be a crack in the ligaments or in the meniscus and told me to dab voltarol on it... thanks doctor, for telling me what I already knew... :dry:

Anyway... went to the pharmacy and the ladies there were quite more helpful than that idiot. One of them checked movement and did some tactile testing and pressure. All was in place so a rupture was out of the scenario. A small crack or concussion was more likely.

They told me to keep the leg free to allow blood flow and be careful with sudden movements or pressure on the area. I also got the voltarol to help the inflammation go down since they couldn't give me anything else due to the fact that the idiot doctor didn't even give me a prescription for decent anti-inflammatory medicine.

Due to the low blood flow, the tissue takes quite a while to heal so don't be surprised if like me, 3 months down the road you still get random episodes of pulling or pain in the area.

Some ice can help the area by increasing the blood flow to the affected area and if you feel stress on it at any time, take the weight off the leg right away.

On your neck and shoulder thing... sounds like you pulled a muscle on that area, I've had it happen to me. Throw some warm packs and some voltarol on it to ease the muscles up and do some soft movements with your arm, shoulder, neck and back to get them back to normal.

5. Split Arrows

If it is a herniated disc, you'll probably be able to palpate it easily.

If it happened after rough-housing, it could be that you've injured the fascia of the muscle.

In either case, I agree with greatwhale and a doctor's visit is the best course right now.