1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get in shape

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by js28, Oct 6, 2013.

1. js28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to get in shape but I need some help planning a diet and exercise routine.

I'm 5'10"/179cm and 11 stone/70kg so I'm not particularly fat, just unfit. I'd like some muscle definition but I don't want to be huge. This is the kind of body I want:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the moment I'm planning to run for about 30 minutes and then try to do this 30-30 Workout, 2 or 3 days a week. But I might have to build up to the 30-30 Workout as it looks pretty intense.

I have no idea where to start with my diet. I don't smoke, I don't eat a lot of junk and I've stopped drinking. I guess I'll need carbs and protein but I don't want to eat more than I can burn off.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Have any of you tried the 30-30 Workout? Can anyone recommend a good diet?

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

You're not going to build any muscle with that workout, so unless you already have some good muscle mass you won't be able to get to that stage with that workout alone.

The people in those pictures have low bodyfat levels and a relatively high proportion of muscle. If you've got low bodyfat without muscle mass you will look bony; if you've got muscle mass but middling to high bodyfat you won't have any definition.

I looked at your link and the 30-30 workout is entirely cardio work - this is excellent for burning fat stores but it isn't going to build any muscle. You need to add in some resistance training (i.e. weight lifting) to achieve that. Muscle mass is very important for that body shape - even though they don't look like bulging bodybuilders, everything you are looking at there is muscle just below the skin.

What is your diet like now? If it's not too bad you may be fine to just change your exercise routine at the moment - making radical changes to both diet and exercise at the same time is a big ask and often leads to people getting fed up and giving up.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Light muscle definition isn't too hard to acquire, compound exercises are quite nice for adding a bit of definition to everything, push-ups for example are great for overall growth, and sit-ups are pretty quick and easy for chest definition. Just note, don't workout every single day for muscle growth, muscle growth comes from your body repairing damaged muscles from working out, if you keep working out then the body cant repair the damaged muscles. For this reason, it's effective to go all out until you physically cant do the exercise anymore, then give it a break for a few days.

When you first start out, if you're new to it, you'll probably find your muscles will be very very stiff, called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), which occurs when the body overreacts to you working out. If you get this, then take a break (usually about 1 week) until you feel fully recovered and can workout without soreness/stiffness. The DOMS will then only last about a day or two, then keep decreasing until you aren't sore/stiff the next day at all.

As for losing weight, intense cardio is usually a great way to go, such as pretty intense jogging, cycling up hills etc. It's generally easier to have more effective cardio from treadmills than actually running, reason being is there is no change in terrain, so it's easier on your feet, which can keep you running longer. The constant speed forces you to keep at a minimum speed as well, so you cant just gradually slow down unless you consciously change the speed. Disadvantage however is you wont get to see anything nice :lol:

That's about all I have to add. Well, except one other thing: Posting pictures of a fit guy in speedos on a gay forum is just such a tease! :grin:

4. Aquilo

Always try to avoid sugary drinks (coke/fruit juice etc.), if you don't want to gain weight. It has been scientifically proven (and it was not one of those 'milk/whatever is good for you' experiments, but a good one) that people who drink sugared drinks gain more weight. 'Light' products often contain less fat, but more sugar, so these aren't recommended either.

Eating more protein (about 2x daily recommended amount) will increase muscle gain too if you also work out, but look out for eating too much protein as that can be bad for your health in the long term.

Guy #1 is hot btw : )

5. Ridiculous

(I love you Zaio but I have to correct this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Pushups do chest and triceps almost exclusively (there is some spread to the core/back to keep the plank position), and are only useful up until a point unless you do them while wearing a weighted backpack or something, although that goes for any bodyweight exercise.

Situps don't do the chest at all - full situps will target the abdominals and hip flexors; crunches will do the abdominals in isolation.

This is correct, however it only applies to that individual muscle group. If you do your arms on one day then you should leave them for a few days before doing them again, but during this period you are perfectly fine to do another muscle group like your core or legs.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I love you too guy (!)

My mistake, was my understanding they worked biceps as well, take back what I said then!

Really? Cause to work on chest I pretty much just do situps and I got chest definition from it :confused:

7. Ridiculous

Nope it's all chest and triceps for pushups! The biceps are essentially entirely unused apart from some possible stabilisation role.

Likewise situps don't utilise the chest at all, not even tangentially, so your chest definition must've come from something else.

8. danbyization171

So have I got this right?

Seen as I am alreadty a skinny person if I do as many pushups and situps as I can do in one go every monday and thursday then I will
    devekop muscle????

9. g4563

g4563 Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    tried pushups and sit-ups but they somewhat worked for me.

do you wish to have these types of body above?