1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching off and tiredness

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yahooooo, Jun 1, 2008.

1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Well... This has probably been asked so many times but oh well.. I need some new ideas.

Basically I find it really hard to just relax and switch off. My mind seems to constantly be thinking about so much all the time and I don't seem to be able to just relax and do nothing. This is totally my fault as I get bored pretty easily so always feel like I need to find something to do/ think about. I usually don't mind this, it's just how I am, but recently its been stopping me from sleeping properly. Now I'm sort of used to constantly doing things I can't switch off and relax.

I have been finding it really hard getting to sleep, and keep waking up frequently during the night, mainly because I'm trying to sort something out in my busy mind. It's just getting a little annoying as I have exams all next week and I'm just really tired!! It's like however long I'm "asleep" its only light and I wake up still tired :dry:

So yer.. any ideas on how to relax in general and switch off would be appreciated.. the only time I really switch off if when I'm doing excersise.. which isn't too usefull when your tired all the time and trying to save energy!!

Thanx :slight_smile:

2. Alex

Not sure what to do. But i can ask if you eat enough? eating enough is very important to be able to control this!

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

YEahhh that happned to me but thats becoz i was very depressed, but now its just gone.. i dunno

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mind is a bit like a car engine. If I don't have anything specific to think about, it revs in neutral - waste of gas, and it's murder on the engine.

...hm. That analogy sort of fell apart. Anyway, I found it's near impossible to just turn the brain off. Instead, I give it something else to think about. I write stories. In my head, mostly, although I've written some down. Each time as I go to bed, I revisit one of my stories. Maybe I'll try pushing it forward a bit. Or I'll rewrite it, switching the characters around. ("What if the president was a woman?") Or change the plot halfway through. The best thing about these stories is that they're totally open ended. I don't have to finish them this week, or this year. I can redo the same part over and over again. Or I can skip over the part I'm not interested in. Some nights, I fall asleep the second I get the characters into position. Other nights, I move them around quite a bit before nodding off. But they provide me with something innocuous to keep my mind on.

The stories provide me with tons of entertainment, too. Whenever I'm stuck somewhere "boring", like in traffic or in line, I'll pull up a story and start messing with it. Entertaining, as long as I don't start falling asleep. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Louise

When my mind is filled with a whirlwind of ideas all juggling for place in my conscious mind I put on loud music. There is a point where the music takes over and thought is impossible. I would suggest you wear head phones otherwise you will annoy your neighbours.

You can lie down, listen to the music, sing along, listen to the lyrics and you should be able to relax.

Another method is to write down everything you have done in the day, what is still left to do and when you will be able to do it so that when you go to bed your mind is at rest, you won't wake up at three in the morning thinking 'damn I forgot to phone so and so' because you will already have remembered and scheduled it for the next day.

JSG will laugh here but 'STRUCTURE AND ORGANISATION' are wonderfull things to stop your life spiraling out of control. Structure your day and organise the coming week and over time everything will fall into place.

6. jayy237

force yourself to read. its the last thing you might feel like doing but if u get into a good book it will get your focus away

7. Blitzkrieg

I find exercising to be a good way to regulate my sleep patterns, I do it during the day so that when it comes to the evening time I'm tired enough to relax in bed with a good book away from all the busy thoughts of the day.