1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to be celibate for life?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

A while back before I decided to come to terms with my sexuality I forced myself to be celibate and well it drove me into depression, seeing friends find girls, get married and being happy with me then a 22 year old who had never been in a relationship or anything.

My shrink thinks its the celibacy through my teen years (I repressed it when I was 13) is partially to blame for my now poor mental health,

Does this make any sense?

2. Nick07

hm, not much? :slight_smile: I think celibacy is good. But it is not supposed to be forced.
    Why did you make that decision?

3. EscapeArtist

Agreed.
    Celibacy should not be forced due to lack of decision, but a conscious choice for greater reasons. I have a great interest in psychology, however, and would venture to guess sexual repression during your sexual pique has consequences. I repressed myself for a long time as well, though I was with men during this time in a forced effort toward normalcy. Ultimately, this lead to a greater unhappiness than I could have ever fathomed. My son has instilled in me a sense of self-worth that didn't exist otherwise, and the simple fact that my wellness vastly contributes to his own. I hope this is something you are willing and able to work though. I am glad you have mental health resources at your disposal, as so many of us go without.

What has your psych recommended in treatment? I imagine denying yourself the very human connection we strive for is painful, however, I respect the sentiment with the correct convictions. Be strong.

4. Hefiel

I guess I can sort of understand where your shrink is coming from. You avoided relationships because you were repressing your sexuality, and this lack of emotional bonds could then further impact your mental health.

There is nothing unhealthy with being celibate though, provided of course that you are happy with it. If you are unhappy to be celibate, then of course it will weight down on your mind, depending on how unhappy you are about it.

5. Ohhai

If you naturally want to, it;s fine. Not forced though. That's bad.

6. Beware Of You

When I was a teen, I just refused to let any sexual feelings develop I avoided getting close to a guy this literally went on for 9 years until I was 22 and actually gave someone a chance

7. DrkRayne

I think its the point of the celibacy.
    Forcing yourself to not get into interpersonal relationships isnt good. Holding back from sex because you want to, or whatever it great, but force not so much.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I did something similiar. That would explain so much...

9. Beware Of You

She convinced me to go to a LGBT group for my age bracket to try and interact with other people. I did end up meeting my bf in one.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think forced celibacy is definitely bad for one's health and can make people crazy. Look at all the priests who were forced into celibacy and denying natural healthy sexual urges, and they ended up turning to little altar boys to release that sexual tension in very unhealthy ways.

Not saying that all celibate people turn into pedophiles, of course. But the desire to remain celibate for life really has to come from within your heart (and from within your genitals). If your body is telling you you have sexual desire, it is best to have a healthy outlet to release that sexual tension.

The idea that there is something wrong or sinful or unhealthy about releasing sexual tension is totally insane and rooted in outdated superstitions. Sexuality is an entirely natural healthy part of human life, of course it shouldn't be allowed to completely take over one's life, but it shouldn't be suppressed and denied completely either. Plus sex is just fun, and it can bring two partners closer together in ways they never could be otherwise; two bodies literally become one as one partner enters the other.

11. EscapeArtist

That's wonderful to hear! I hope you're both in a healthful place.