1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy pills

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RCJ24, Oct 14, 2013.

1. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have recently started taking 20mg of Prozac daily for major depression disorder and anxiety. I have been on it for almost a full week but I haven't had any side effects yet. I've heard the first week is hell because the side affects are ridiculous. So has anyone been on or currently on Prozac? How are the side affects? Does it work for you? Any comments are welcome!

2. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I took it, and it made me go crazy. I was sent to the hospital. But after the my time in the hospital they said it was because I had a mood disorder. I have heard it works great for other people just not me. One other thing is that I think it messes with sex drive sometimes.

3. StephenSC

Everyone responds to medication differently. Some people will suffer serious side-effect, in others it works perfectly and for some people it just wont do a thing. So far it sounds like you might be a lucky person that doesn't get any side effects!

I've never used the product mentioned but am on something else. (Citalopram, 30mg. Which is the same class of medication, an SSRI) I had no noticeable side effects when starting on them. Only time I notice a "side-effect" is when I forget to or don't take them. I get a very serious headache for a day or two.

Should you get any side effects it's possible they will fade after a day or two. If they don't or if they are serious side-effects make sure you visit your doctor! Also note they might take awhile to start having an effect on you, don't despair if you don't notice a change right away. They can take a few weeks to kick in as your body gets used to it. If they don't seem to work after that let your doctor know so you might be able to try something else, this isn't your one chance/option.

For me, seeking help with my depression was the best thing I've ever done. Does/did the medication work? I seriously believe so. I think just acknowledging the problem was a big help as well, it was a huge weight off my mind. I also took the chance to improve my diet and lifestyle as well, which I'd recommend if possible. Also seeking therapy can help you understand any root causes that there may be and help you deal with them. Fixing the cause is always better then just treating the effects.

All the best with it, and good luck!

#3 StephenSC, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've been on it for almost a year.
    The first effect I noticed is that I slept a lot better... and started having dreams again (which I couldn't remember having before hand)
    It's generally worked well for me, but it has completely killed my sex drive or whatever and seems to have given me slight concentration issues.

5. Hrantou

I've been on many of them, including prozac. My advice would just to be very careful about what you take. Some of those side effects are kinda crazy.

My experience with them is that they really did nothing for me. In the end, it took my own willpower to get past depression and survive. Unfortunately one of the anti-depressants left me with an unfortunate physical side-effect. Nothing life-threatening, and I would prefer not to go into details, but it was physical and noticeable. If you wanna know more, you can message me.

But like I said, just be careful. Realize that this is medicine that is going into YOUR body probably on a daily basis and you should always be weary of that. But I think you'll be ok :slight_smile:

6. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on Prozac before and did NOT do well on it at all. It made me zone out all the time, gave me the worst constipation I've ever experienced and made my back break out in pimples really bad! Now I'm on citalapram and the only side effect I seem to be experiencing is bad dreams.

7. Hrantou

Yeah, some of the same things that happened to me. That's why I'm not a fan of anti-depressants at all. Most of the time (from what I've seen) They do nothing other than to numb you, while giving you physical side effects like back acne, constipation, and more.

In short, a pill that's supposed to make you feel better can sometimes give you side effects that have you end up feeling worse than before.

That's all my opinion though, and I just like to share. If they work for you, then please take them. Just be careful.

8. biggayguy

Yes, the side effects can be worse than the depression. The doctor will say he hasn't found the right dosage or the right medicine if you want to switch. After four or five times of "adjustments" you want to just forget about pills. Maybe they did even out my mood. I was a zombie.

9. FrozenGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I am currently on Prozac and have been on it since 2008, so I would be more than happy to answer your questions. I was put on Prozac for the same reasons as you (severe depression and anxiety; in my case, both were quite severe). I started on 20mg but after about 2 years the drug was losing its effectiveness so my doctor increased the dosage to where I could take up to 40mg a day. Now with antidepressants the side effects that people experience differ, but in general Prozac is one of the most tolerable antidepressants that are available out there. During my first week on Prozac, I never actually experienced any real negative side effects - it wasn't until later on that I developed some minor side effects (one side effect being reduced sexual drive, but in a way that's a good thing because it takes longer :lol: ). The only real side effect I can say that's been a negative has been the slight insomnia that I gained months/years down the line - it's not severe insomnia, but it's enough to where I usually don't get a full uninterrupted 9 hours of sleep. As for Prozac's effectiveness, it again varies depending on the person as SSRIs react in different ways. For example, for a short period of time (~4 weeks) I had been placed on Paxil, and good lord was it the worst experience I *ever* had with an antidepressant. In the case of Prozac, it's done wonders for my anxiety - I'm not nearly as anxious as I used to be growing up as a teenager (and I'm talking panic attacks, severe social anxiety, irrational fear towards certain things, etc.). As far as depression goes, it's hit or miss for me personally - some days I feel great, and then others I feel like garbage. I wish I could go back to using Abilify because that drug was absolutely wonderful, but my insurance won't cover it. :frowning2:

For some people, antidepressants tend to flatten their emotions (ie. make them feel muted or like a zombie). For me, Prozac has not done that - however, it's a different story with everyone really.

#9 FrozenGhost, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I tried it years ago. The first couple weeks were actually the best. I had no side effects and my mood definitely improved. I was much more upbeat and assertive. I eventually turned into a zombie and quit taking them.

FYI, I've tried three different SSRI's and they all eventually lead to a lazy, zombie like state where I just want to lie around and watch TV. I just recently gave up on lexapro for the same reason.

11. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have had no early side effects by now that is a good sign that you may get on with it OK. My bad side effects were instant - and very bad - and I had to come off it.

So good luck :icon_wink

12. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean! I also always feel trapped and hopeless on the pills, because of the fact that I've been on them for so long I can't just quit taking them. I'd end up worse off then before, it's like it's a never ending cycle!