1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this stress?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by drwinchester, Oct 22, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Past couple weeks haven't so much been stressful as more of the same. Came out to family- still dealing with fallout. School's started and I'm living part-time as male without my mother's knowledge. Along with that, I've officially gone two weeks without self harming.

I've noticed lately, I've been hyperventilating more and more. Throat clenches, especially whenever I'm nervous or especially dysphoric/irritable. I don't think they're panic attacks- they don't seem severe and the hyperventilating never lasts long- seems to be anywhere from five to fifteen minutes, eventually going away on its own. Usually get really nauseous during and after hyperventilating and that feeling sticks around for a couple hours. Haven't passed out, but get really light headed and faint.

Anyone have similiar symptoms? I know an official diagnosis can't be given but would these be similiar to panic attacks and anyone got any advice for dealing with them? Thanks.

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I doubt anyone on the forum is medically trained, but from the symptoms you mention, I think you should see your medical practitioner.

If you know what's really causing it, then it may help you deal with it, or at least not feel so afraid. I'd be scared if I got those symptoms without knowing the cause.

Best of luck.

3. apostrophied

Sure sounds like something anxiety-related to me. I say wait until your general situation gets better (with the coming out and whatnot), and if it goes on, a doctor's visit is in order. You're in a phase of acute stress right now, so it's not surprising that you're showing symptoms. Good luck!

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, not going to be able to see a doctor until I've got insurance, which won't be until January. I'm seeing a counselor on campus and have brought it up- so learning coping methods.

These symptoms only began showing up as acute as they've been once I stopped self harming. And what worries me is that lately, when the hyperventilating kicks up or I'm beginning to panic, that my natural tendency is to either dig my nails into my skin or otherwise try and cause discomfort.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I've been discussing these with my counselor. And there seems to be a pattern to them that I hadn't noticed before.

The last time I've had anxiety this bad, I was fourteen-fifteen. Just started homeschooling, taking on more household responsibilities. Practically raising my younger sisters. I had a perfectionist streak that was especially noted when I was that age, so I'd flip and hyperventilate if I got something wrong, fucked up, etc. Add in puberty and I was a hot mess. The attacks went away on their own and I never had another bout of anxiety that bad until a couple weeks ago.

So it's definitely stress related. Especially since in both cases, I was undergoing two huge life changes (homeschool; college)....

6. SilentCreatures

Stress comes in many forms. For me it's a bit different. I hope the techniques your counsellor is giving you are helping. I understand how you feel, like you I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I recently had that hyperventilation and it scared the heck out of me.

Rationalising everything inside my mind helped me. That self talk to confirm what I'm doing is right, it's ok not to have everything 100% perfect, its ok to let my guard down so I can relax. Small affirmations.

I'm not sure what to say to help you, as everyone is different but I do hope you get through this - wishing you all the best.