1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paruresis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ruby Dragon, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone else suffer from paruresis (shy bladder syndrome)?

I do. It makes me so uncomfortable when someone else is in the restroom when I have to "go" because I don't want them to wonder what's taking me so long, and don't want them to hear me "going". Just a few minutes ago, nature called and I went to the bathroom at work. But there were two other women in there and as much as I needed to "go", I just couldn't - I came close a couple of times but just couldn't relax enough. :eusa_doh:

As soon as I heard them leave, I was able to "go". It's extremely embarrassing because sometimes it'll take up to 5 minutes or more before anything comes out, and by then I feel like they're wondering what's taking me so long, which further increases the anxiety. It happens in public restrooms too, but then I don't care so much because I don't know the other people and they don't know me, which takes some of the pressure off. But sometimes at home and mostly at work, I just can't seem to "go" knowing someone is listening in. And it's not just with urination either...:icon_redf

So, can anyone relate? :bang:

2. Niko

Ooooh yes, I can relate very much so. It's so bad at times, it doesn't matter how bad I need to go, if there is a person in the restroom I cannot go at all. Though I learned that if you bring in headphones and your iPod/Mp3 player, it helps a lot. You just focus on the music and not what's going on in the restroom.