1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPV vaccine is dangerous?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Stridenttube, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

So many websites and people saying that the HPV shot can cause cancer and other terrible things. Is it better to not get the shot and just hope I don't ever get dick and anal warts? The stuff I've been reading scares me. I'm scared to take something that hasn't been around for very long. I don't want to like start slowing dying in ten years because we didn't know what this shot does in the long term. Plus one of my friends says it was the most painful shot ever.

Maybe I should just remain a sad virgin forever as it seems that sex will just kill me..:frowning2:

2. I did a quick search. I'm finding nothing reliable that says HPV vaccines are dangerous. it's used on millions of people in a hundred countries worldwide. The CDC has an entire page devoted to why people should get the vaccine and exactly how they have monitored it and are still monitoring it for safety.

The reality is, vaccines used to be a lot more dangerous than they are these days, but the lingering suspicion of them is still around.

And if this doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. I have found nothing credible online to suggest HPV vaccines cause cancer, but it HAS been proven that HPV does cause cancer.

At any rate, this is something you should ask your doctor about, because they should obviously know much more about it than just finding info on the internet.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The HPV vaccine was tested in over 20 thousand young people before being marketed, with no significant safety signals that I am aware of.

In this case, the internet is not the best source of information. Nevertheless, check the FDA website itself for a more accurate representation of what was needed to get this vaccine approved by a very stringent and safety-focused agency such as the FDA.

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Pages like.these.all.over..
    Gardasil Vaccine the Truth | The Truth About Gardasil | HPV Prevention with Gardasil | Gardasil Vaccine Side Effects | Gardasil Warning | Gardasil Dangers | Human Papillomavirus Quadrivalent (Types 6, 11, 16, and 18) Vaccine, Recombinant | Sick from

5. Okay, but who wrote these? Where did they get this information? If you don't know who created it or what their credentials are, or if you don't have any good reasons to believe that these stories are true, I wouldn't count these sources as more credible than places like the CDC or cancer.gov--sources we have much more good reason to believe.

I think you should talk about your concerns with a doctor if you think you should know more about vaccination. The internet is a trove of bad information about medical things.

At any rate, safer sex practices will also be of help, obviously. It's a pretty effective way of making sure sex won't actually kill you.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internet pro-tip: If it says "The truth about..." assume it's a lie!

7. Sarcastic Luck

That's the one vaccine I refuse to have. Back when it first came out there were a lot of adverse reactions. Knew a person who was given the shot, stood up, and promptly passed out.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All vaccines carry tiny amounts of risk. The early Salk vaccine that prevented polio was contaminated with cytomegalovirus, a very weak virus that was essentially harmless, and public health officials made the decision to vaccinate the population using this version of the vaccine, rather than risk the continued deaths and disfigurations from polio. This posed no problems until organ transplants became common, and those who were vaccinated with the Salk vaccine and also had an organ transplant had problems with CMV, because their immune systems were now compromised by the anti-rejection drugs, and the formerly harmless CMV was able to cause serious harm.

Nearly every vaccine is a complex combination of biological matter, stabilizers and other chemicals. They are generally safe, but there's a tiny grain of truth about risks, and for some people, that's enough to warn them off of them. Robert Mendelsohn, a highly respected pediatrician, wrote about this extensively in the 1980s and ended up recommending against most vaccines (much to the chagrin of much of the rest of the medical establishment.)

Nonetheless, the stuff you read on those sorts of websites are generally taking a grain of truth and grossly exaggerating it. It's sensible reading those things, but only with a healthy dose of skepticism, and a willingness to search out legitimate scientific journals to get a counter-point.

9. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I don't know who to listen to. Sounds like a bad idea. Hopefully I don't warts or cancer from sex. I used.to.think sex was supposed to be a special thing that you do with someone you love but now it just seems like a health hazard. I don't think I could ever enjoy sex either way with my terrible anxiety and OCD. Yikes!!!!

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that if there were really huge problems with this vaccine, it would be all over the media, and it would be pulled from the market. The fact it's been used extensively without many problems being reported is an indication of its relative safety.

Also, as long as you practice safer sex techniques all the time, using condoms and such, then your risks will be much lower.

11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Hasn't this vaccine only been out since like, 2007? Could be more issues later. Even one of the 2012 presidential candidatss said something about.it

So if I used condoms for.everything then I won't get HPV?

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The chances of getting HPV are low in any case; using protection will lower it substantially more. No one can say you won't get it (I know, this can make some people nervous) but the chances are very, very low when using a condom.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Michelle Bachmann spread lies about Gardasil during her run for the republican nomination for president, including it will cause retardation in young children, trying to scare people away from taking the HPV vaccine. These are all lies, and the vaccine is completely safe, and I suggest you take it, because HPV is a really bad thing if you get it, but even worse for women.

14. Gen

Gen

The HPV vaccines sole purpose is to protect against vaginal and rectal cancers, as well as genital warts. Its literally why it was designed. There is no such thing as a drug that does not offer possible side effects. It is highly implausible that you would gain cancer from receiving any of these vaccines, nor does there need to be more time before evidence of that is discovered because that is simply not how cancer operates.

When you are in doubt of any health issue, always talk to an actual health professional. Everything on the internet is not a reliable source.

15. LD579

Without knowing the finer details, it's hard to be definitive, but maybe it was just because the person isn't good with needles, whether they know it consciously or not?

16. Gen

Gen

+1.

Especially since a reaction to the drug that quickly would be physiologically impossible...

17. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

The main thing for me is preventing warts.

I asked my GP a few months ago and he said "if it makes you feel better both of my boys are vaccinated." So I'm not really sure at this point. I just have a bad feeling about this. As if it ten years it will be found that it does lots of damage. But I was specifically waiting to have sex because I didn't want to catch HPV. Okay, well that and the fact that I'm not exactly attractive lololol

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2013 at 06:13 PM ----------

I asked my mom what she thought and even she was skeptical of it. She said she didn't like new vanccines because she doesn't want it to shorten my lifespan or anything.

18. Gen

Gen

I said it above, but I will elaborate a bit more in hopes that it might make more sense. Drugs, vitamins, and supplements are products that can result in long term and future damage to the body. This is because these products alter the bodies natural chemical distribution, or even introduce entirely new elements that humans don't naturally produce. Hypothetically, this is how a long term side effects would arise.

A vaccination is not a drug regime. I'm clearly not going to claim anything to be impossible, but there is near zero percent chance that you could receive a vaccine today and show signs of damage in twenty years. And I mean as near zero as possibly possible. A vaccine is most commonly a cocktail of the live, or nearly dead, organic cells of the virus or disease it is meant to protect you from. Once the cells have entered the blood stream the immune system begins to attack it, and through it's success is how the body gains its immunity.

So, you have to understand; if a vaccine was defective, the only possible period that negative effects could arise is within the incubation period of that disease. You are not going to receive a faulty influenza vaccination and die as a result in twenty years. Again, I don't like saying things are impossible.....but that pretty damn impossible.

If you don't want to get a vaccination directly after its release, that is perfectly reasonable. But we have long passed the incubation period for the HPV vaccine. It is ultimately your choice; I only want to make sure that you are making an educated decision and not simply listening to inaccurate speculation.

19. Sarcastic Luck

According to them, it was the only vaccine they'd had issues with.

Not according to the CDC. Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Side Effects Scroll down to Gardisil/Cervarix

"Life-threatening allergic reactions from vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it would be within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccination." Then it goes on to mention fainting.

If I recall correctly, it was her second shot of gardisil. First one went fine, second didn't.

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. This is why at my previous employer, when they provided flu shots, it was required to get it in the first half of your shift, so you wouldn't be driving home if you had a reaction. (They had people on standby those days, and there were a lot of people with various allergies at that workplace)