1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to increase fitness and build muscle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by danbyization171, Nov 4, 2013.

1. danbyization171

Hi

I am 18 years old and am after some advice on how best to increase my fitness and build some muscle because at the moment I have like no muscle I'm not overweight or anything in fact if anything I'm underweight as I am quite skinny.

I don't want to go to a gym or invest in gym equipment as that's too expensive and I just want to build some muscle and increase my fitness. So I just want exercises I can do without any additional equipment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's lots of great exercises you can do without purchasing anything. Running, push ups, burpees, crunches, jumping rope (if you've got one), suicides, wall sits. Stuff that you do in Phys ed.

3. bassmaster

Yes... Allot you can do at home before you ever need a gym. If you wanna build lean muscle your gonna need .75-1.0 grams of protein for pound of body weight while working out. Either thru foods like chicken, tuna, etc... And protein shakes to supplement. To get some good ideas I would "like" the men's health page on Facebook. They have several articles everyday they post. There were some recently on exercises you could do at home.

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
  5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know who never used complicated gym equipment?

This guy.

Search around for Bruce Lee's workout regimens. Obviously you won't be able to do the same reps and stuff he does, but look at the exercises themselves. Most are simple calisthenics. :slight_smile:

6. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did the same thing when I first started out, although I was also working on learning Jeet Kune Do. :slight_smile: Whether learning to fight or just to become fit physically and/or mentally, you can't go wrong when learning from Bruce Lee. He's truly a master of the craft.

7. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eh. Lee did do weight training though, granted it certainly wasn't a bodybuilding routine or anything but it was weight training nonetheless.

A better example might be Muhammad Ali, who never touched a weight during his training. He didn't have huge muscles by any means, but he was in undeniably great shape and he wasn't exactly a small dude, either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That being said, I highly recommend researching anything by Bruce Lee; definitely can't go wrong there.

8. danbyization171

Thanks for the replys guys.

But how often should i do these exercises? And how long for? I mean i dont want to start doing this and end up injuring myself or something.

9. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How about I post a couple examples of what you could do, and you can start from there.

First you should warm up. I recommend skipping rope or doing jumping jacks for a couple minutes. After that do some stretching.

Ex. 1:
    Try starting out with something like 15 squats, 10 push-ups, 5 pull-ups, 30 oblique crunches on each side, and 20 side crunches on each side; do that cycle three times. If this is too easy, increase the intensity. Obviously change the intensity depending on what you're able to do. Do this either every other day, or three times a week with one rest day in between. (Except for the end of the week when you get two.) Personally I'd do it every other day.

Or you could split it up on different days.
    Ex. 2:
    For example, on Mondays do chest; four sets of 10 push-ups.
    On Tuesdays do lats and biceps; 4 sets of 5 pull-ups/chin-ups.
    On Wednesdays do abdominals; 30 oblique crunches on each side, 20 side crunches on each side, and plank for one minute.
    On Thursdays do triceps; 4 sets of dips to failure. (You could do chair dips, bench dips, a combination, whatever.) Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFT6nRIH74
    On Fridays do legs; tabata squats. Tabata meaning 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest, repeat for eight times total. Do as many as you can during the work time, try to get at least 15. Now, this can be pretty difficult, so if you want you could start with four intervals instead of eight, or you could switch the work time and the rest time so you do 10 seconds of work with 20 seconds of rest.
    Weekends are rest days.

There's a million ways to schedule your workout, but just make sure you don't work the same muscle group two days in a row, as muscles need time to recover in order to grow and increase strength. Again, obviously you should adjust the intensity (number of reps, form, rate at which you're performing the exercise, etc.) based on what you're physically able to do. I've chosen number based on what's fairly easy for me, but what may be somewhat difficult to someone who doesn't exercise.

Hope this helps.

-Stoccata.

#9 Stoccata, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. squally89

I say go to your nearest park with a playground. Make your workout fun by using bars, poles and other arms related exercise you can think of. Push ups, pull ups and crunches are just a few things you can do.

11. danbyization171

Would I be able to do all of those exercises at home without any extra equipment. For example I am planning on doing these in the evening when I get gome from work. Would that work?
    -Stoccata.[/QUOTE]

12. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yup, pretty much everything I listed you can do at home without any extra equipment.

The exception would be if you don't have something you can to pull-ups from. In that case, chin-up bars are pretty cheap; you can buy one for under $20 at a local Walmart.

13. mvjp

protein sleep water body weight exercises ( pressups dips squats planks etc) - body shape is much more about diet and lifestyle (generally keeping active sleeping well etc) than about training - some pts say its up to 75 about diet and lifestyle

14. g4563

g4563 Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    go to google helpouts, they have guides how to build your muscles and fitness