1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does oral sex cause throat cancer

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chic30, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Chic30

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it just the oral sex itself or is it the ejaculation process, or when you swallow? I'm not sure. So since oral sex is dangerous is it unsafe to ever have oral sex ever again either with a female?

Also, lets say if my partner and I were both virgins before we had sex with each other (hypothetically speaking. Not that I have a partner i'm a big loser lol) is it likely for us to give each other hpv or throat cancer? Or is it just when you're sexually active with multiple partners?

I just don't get how this works, i'm so embarrassed. Sorry guys.:confused::icon_redf

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it has to do with HPV.

3. Ridiculous

The risk is increased if you are consuming any sexual fluids, but it is still possible to contract HPV without any fluid contact. You can get HPV from any kind of oral sex (vagina, anus, penis) - it's also possible to get it from kissing. HPV can be contracted through pretty much any skin-to-skin contact, although obviously some areas are riskier than others.

If you want to make it safer for you to have oral sex with a woman, you can use a dental dam to provide a physical barrier between your mouth and your partner. (And for blowjobs, you can provide the same effect by using a condom.)

There are also HPV vaccines that will make you immune to the virus, however I believe these are most useful if they are gotten when you are young. I don't know how effective they are as you get older.

As for how likely it is:
    You can only get HPV from your partner if they have HPV. If neither of you have it then you aren't going to get it. Additionally I believe that only certain strains of HPV (there are many) have been linked to oral and other cancers, so unless you have that strain then you aren't at risk of cancer.
    Furthermore, your body will fight off HPV infections given enough time. Common warts are caused by a strain of the HPV virus, so if you've ever had a wart then you've had that strain and fought it off and your body is now immune to that strain. (as far as I'm aware that wouldn't make you immune to the other strains, although it may make you more resistant, but I'm not sure on this.)
    To get throat cancer from oral sex then there are quite a few stars that have to align to make it happen.

Look at it this way: 90% of the people on this planet have given oral sex, and maybe 0.1% of people on the planet have developed oral cancer. Of that 0.1%, less than 5% would've been caused by the oral sex (as opposed to smoking or something). It's certainly not common, it's just something to be aware of.

4. GirlWhoWaited

All this logic and intelligent debunking...I was kind of going to use this as an excuse...darn it. :wink:

5. Chic30

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, thanks so much. I was beginning to think it was as common as aids or HIV. I was never taught about sex and had to learn from friends and other sources growing up. No matter how much research I do on HPV and oral cancer I never fully understood how it worked. Now I understand completely and i'm not as afraid, thanks guys.

6. Ridiculous

There is comparatively little research regarding HPV and cancer compared to other diseases though, so what I've written may be proved wrong (or right) in the future. And of course I'm not an expert and certainly not an authority on the issue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But getting cancer from oral sex is near the bottom of the list for things you need to be concerned about when having sex.