1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential HIV after 9.5 years?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Anxietyfilled, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Anxietyfilled

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    About nine and a half years ago, I had unprotected sex with a girl I met on a beach trip in N. Carolina. I had never had unprotected sex before. She said that she was on her way to the military, so hope she was tested prior. I was so paranoid afterwards about catching an STD, especially HIV. I looked up the symptoms of HIV on the Internet and frequently started checking my glands in my neck to see if they were swelling. Ironically, seven days after the encounter, they slightly swelled up. The left gland was a little bigger than the right. I started feeling my armpits, but was not able to tell if they were swollen or not. The left side of my face seemed to slightly swell and I could not tell if it was a swollen parotid gland, which I have read could be a symptom of HIV. I think after another week or so, this all went away. However, my slightly swollen face seemed to linger, but eventually went away. I had no other symptoms (no fever, no rash, no sore throat). Could this have been non acute mono? I also had a cholesterol test at work and my HDL was a little lower than standard. I had not fasted beforehand though. Not sure if that is an early HIV symptom. Had read that it could be. I am a healthy fit person. No other symptoms developed over those years until I got a sore on my leg a month ago that turned into cellutlitis w/ possible MRSA (Diagnosed by Emergency Dept) Is that a sign of my immune system weakening? My WBC was high. I was put on antibiotics that caused me to break a fever in the middle of the night. The ER said the cellulitis was probably community related from the gym. It went away after a couple weeks, but my stress of HIV again seems to cause me to have very minor night sweats. Armpits and a little on my chest, but this is not consistent. I lowered the room temperature and seems to have stopped. I have read that once HIV infected, symptoms can disappear for up to 10 years before progressing to aids. I am wondering if I am HIV infected and if it is progressing to AIDS. I get anxiety very easily and feel guilty. I have a great life and healthy, otherwise. 90% of my sexual encounters are protected. I wanted to get your thoughts if I’m infected.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As most will tell you here, there is only one way to know and that is get yourself tested.

Trouble is you can have anything that seems even remotely related to HIV and still be HIV-negative.

I've had cellulitis requiring IV antibiotics, still tested negative thereafter. I've had a touch of psoriasis, still tested negative thereafter...these things will drive you crazy until the day you get yourself tested. Do this in a center that is staffed with counsellors who are trained to deal with these anxieties, I know it's not easy to do, but the peace of mind that comes after (in the very likely event that you are negative) is worth it!

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope I can allay some of your fears.

Vaginal intercourse, particularly for the unprotected inserting party, is "around" a medium risk activity. Few acts of vaginal intercourse lead to HIV for the male. It's a numbers game. It can happen to those who do it a LOT and with promiscuous females.

The fact that neck glands swelled up is also a matter of perception as to how swollen or asymmetrical they were, and there are many other things that can cause this. While I have never had swollen neck glands, I've had swollen armpit glands, just one nodule at a time and very close to the surface. It was probably caused by the overuse of roll-on deodorant, several times a day, because I don't like to smell (morning, gym, before going out) and these can probably block the pores. Who knows?

It is totally normal to wonder about this sort of stuff when bacterial infections start kicking in. I only had strep, with asymmetrical tonsils, and I've seen some cellulitis. Your ER doctor was smart. For athletically active men, the gym and athlete's foot can ultimately lead to cellulitis. I've had it. It can bring on chills and minor night sweats, once it gets going and by the time you've figured out something is wrong. I got put through expensive DVT (deep venous thrombosis) scans for a blood clot, and they were negative. And you're thinking "Is my immune system weakening because I'm not fighting off bacterial infections?" I thought the worst. But bacterial infections are common in the healthiest of people.

Another thing you mention is no fever/temperature. That's a good sign. Another thing you mention is no other health concerns or weird, unaccounted things popping up. That's a good sign.

Depending on your area, anonymous oral swab or finger prick quick tests are available. Avoid your regular GP if these are in fact given free or low cost, and anonymous, in your area. Then, you'll be able to relax. But getting the courage to go in there is the hardest part of this situation. They will listen to your sexual repertoire and make a preliminary assessment of risk before conducting the test. They are very good at this. And, since everything sounds good, go out and buy yourself a nice dinner upon leaving the testing facility with a highly probable negative result.

I can relate to this. Including the celebratory dinner. I hope this helped.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The likelihood of contracting HIV from a single unprotected encounter with vaginal intercourse is pretty close to zero.

The likelihood of having no symptoms for 9+ years and then getting them is equally close to zero.

Nothing you're describing is consistent with HIV. But tests are plentiful, take 5 minutes, and can be found for free nearly everywhere. Get tested to be sure.

5. Anxietyfilled

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all for your support. I am going to bite the bullet and get tested. It is the swollen glands in my neck that freaked me out the most. One gland seemed more swollen than the other (at least I think they might have been swollen) Do you think that constant poking at them out of anxiety could cause a little swelling? Is 7 days after exposure too soon? Sorry for all the questions ....just trying to brace myself as much as possible for test results. You all have helped provide me some relief and the courage to do this. I greatly appreciate that.

6. Mzansi

The only way you're going to be sure is by testing yourself,
    If you know you have it/Don't have it,
    Then you can actually make plans to either combat the HIV or combat the anxiety!

But I'd like to just tell you that,
    In the end,
    If worse comes to worse and you turn out to have HIV(Which I do doubt),
    You're not going to be handed down a death sentence as recent surveys have shown those who get the correct and regular care needed,
    Are not expected to have a MUCH shortened life span,
    They were saying something like 76 on average?
    And this is supplemented and raised by the continuing break throughs in treatment!

So to deny yourself the knowledge on having the virus,
    Is putting your longevity at risk,
    Either through not getting the correct treatment,
    Or through the immense stress you are putting yourself under!

I find that usually those who fear they have HIV,
    Will put any sort of abnormality,
    That would've been otherwise ignored,
    Into a category of "This may be a symptom for HIV",
    When it's really not!

Get tested,
    Get geared,
    And move on,
    HIV isn't a death sentence anymore,
    So don't make it one!