1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclical depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 18, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just realized that I have cyclical depression, meaning that it comes and goes. As of now, it has come again. I guess I'm now just trying to learn to cope with the fact that it always will come and go, and sometimes, it gets bad.

A lot of it surrounds my family situation, and I've sworn off medication. The only way I'm ever going to get an FAA medical certificate is to stay off medication and get a full psychological exam, but that's a whole different issue. I'd taken Prozac for 4 years, from the time I tried to kill myself when I was 14 until March, when I stopped because I'd almost completely lost the ability to get an erection, a well-known side effect of SSRI medications. As time has gone on since I got off Prozac, that ability is slowly coming back.

But I've realized that this is something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life, and I just wish there was some better way to manage it. Over the years that depression has been an issue, I've learned to put on a happy face and act like everything's okay, when on the inside all hell is breaking loose.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The 'family situation' will (presumably) change in due course.
    You may be able to moderate the cyclical nature of the depression - or it may settle down or even disappear when your life circumstances change?

I am looking for positives here - as I know it can all seem very hopeless when you are weighed down by it.

Meds suck - I had awful problems with prozac and a number of others and have had an on/off relationship with meds in recent years

its a real bummer - but it may not be for life. You are still promisingly young !

3. hiddenxrainbows

I'm in a similar situation. Mine stasted when I was six, after my mum died, and has never fully went away. Sometimes I'm okay, but it keeps coming back. I've never officially been diagnosed though. And I haven't seen a psychologist in years, I was forced to by my high school for something but only for a short time. So because of this, I have never had to deal with meds. But I still know how much depression sucks, especially when it keeps coming back. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always message me or something.

4. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't self medicate if you are struggling too much with the pain and suffering from symptoms of withdrawing from the world. It maybe better to ask for help and seek advice. I have my own condition of depression that doesn't seem to just go away, or lift on it's own. I constantly have to motivate myself to accomplish even the smallest of tasks. Without help I don't know what I would do.

5. apostrophied

Can you get therapy (non-medical) and still qualify for the FAA? Like CBT or something might help you.

6. blond

I know how you feel it comes and goes with me too. The worst thing about it is going to work and pretending i'm happy.

7. monotone

8. biggayguy

Could you possibly be bipolar? Periods of feeling really great alternating with deep depression. You should have yourself checked by someone that's trained to see the symptoms.