1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jerr, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerr

so in school my parenting class was talking about smoking...

I don't mind people to smoke... I personally will NEVER smoke... but I don't care if you do... in Arkansas (dunno if other places do this) you are not allowed to smoke in well public eating places and pretty much most public buildings which I mean it never bothered me but whatever its ok if they smoked in the same building... so now they can't whatever I mean at first my parents were mad and my family was but oh well they are over it... but now they are trying to ban smoking in your own home if you have children (I would be considered a child 17... even though a lot of people my age already smoke) and you can't smoke in your own car if there are children present... also they are trying to pass where your home is the only place you can smoke...

honestly I don't care... I AM A NON SMOKER... but I don't care if you CHOOSE to... because thats what it is... a CHOICE... the age restriction on it is there for a reason... because ever sense you are 3 years old it is shoved down your throat that if you smoke you will get cancer/heart problems/bad breath/yellow teeth/look old and of course lets not forget but smoking can cause Barnie to fall over and die... (hey anything to prevent our youth from smoking!) so if you choose to smoke when you turn 18 then by all means smoke your face off! even if you didn't get the memo when you were in school... theres a SHINY GOLD label on the side that tells you if you smoke this it will KILL YOU (i can quote it but I'm to lazy to get up at the moment.)

Smoking can and probably will cause horrible health problems but that is a risk those who smoke are willing to take...

with quitting... yes smoking is addicting and we have ALL seen those STUPID commercials... but you know... if you have a habit... its a habit... PERIOD... smoking may be one persons habit and eating can be another... a smoker who makes excuses uses the nicotine an overweight person who overeats uses depression or that food is needed to live....

It is possible to quite... just flat out (grandpa did it) there are things that help... (my mom used these pills that help you quite by telling you to keep smoking and eventually it will taste bad to smoke...) but I mean those who keep smoking are not doing it even though they don't want to because the option to quite is easy and out there...

Something good out of smoking is the TAXES!!! Alcohol and Tobacco taxes go to TEACHERS!!! w00!!! and whats great about tobacco products is they are taxed to the point of actual insanity... a box of Cigarettes does not cost oh so much to make yet they sell for about 4.75 a box (i guess with 20 cigarettes in it) (here... price depends on brand and state... this is average for camel here) those taxes are INSANE... but they go to teachers so w00! I really wouldn't want to pay taxes like that on anything... so I don't smoke woo lol

well thats all for now (I've left my computer like 4 times and so I haven't really kept a train of thought)

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I don't smoke, and I find it a *major* turn off. I'd like to think that others smoking doesn't bug me too much. Except if they're smoking upwind of me at a bus stop, or in the bus shelter on a rainy day where the signs say "No Smoking"

Where I am, many a year ago there was smoking in coffee shops, restaurants, etc. While I'd like to think it didn't bug me, I find it an awful lot more enjoyable now to go into a coffee shop for a nice social get together without going home smelling like an ashtray. I also enjoy my food more now that it doesn't taste like ashes.

A couple years ago they changed the rules so no smoking in restaurants, and bars can only have smoking areas if they were separately ventilated. A couple months ago it was changed again so there is no smoking allowed at bars at all.

Anyways, the issue with the parents smoking around children isn't just the influence of seeing their parents smoke, but there is significant risks involved in second hand smoking, and the children have no control over that. :frowning2:

Also, while the idea of heavily taxing tobacco seems good on the surface, governments become addicted to the tax, so in a way they'd like people to keep smoking, because it gives them more income. Also, it seems it's the people that can least afford to smoke, are the ones that do smoke.

3. Jerr

My parents have smoked ALL my life... now yes they wouldn't smoke around me when I was a baby but I mean in the car n such yea... I was never possessed to smoke at all.... even though my parents said smoking was bad (never not to smoke just that it was bad) now my mom says if I want to smoke... I can go ahead and smoke... but she won't pay for it... and she won't buy cigarettes for me until I'm 18 and then only if I give her the money... because she smoked... she is not some stupid hypocrite (sp?) who says "You know kid *inhale* you *while exhaling smoke* shouldn't smoke *cough cough*" she tells anyone if they want to... go ahead... as long as you are of age whatever it is your money

Arkansas is raising the taxes as a way of trying to stop youth from smoking figuring they won't be able to purchase them... well... kids don't normally have jobs... those who do don't have many bills... they can get money easy... either saving up lunch money or just working or even just taking it... so stupid but hey at least the Government is getting money

4. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Alright guys.. I am a smoker.. and I have to tell you that I agree with Jerr on this one.. I am of age and it is my decision.. all be it a poor decision.. still it is MY decision to smoke or not.

As far as smoking in my home goes.. I do have a child in my home, but still it is MY HOME.. and frankly no one has the right to tell me what I can do in my home.. I can understand no smoking in restaraunts and such.. but there has to be a line drawn.

If all the risks truly outweighed the benefits to the gov't they would have made it illegal. Bottom line is that they are in it for the money.. Look at Alcohol <--- MOST DANGEROUS DRUG <--- 1 person killed every 30 minutes and 1 person injured every 2 minutes due to alcohol related car accidents in the USA.. LEGAL due to money...

To allow the gov't into our homes on that level would open a "Slippery Slope," very bad idea..

Okay.. that's my 2 cents..

Will

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well as far as the whole smoking thing goes, i'm fine with it. Like Jerr both of my parents have smoked throughout my life. My father doesn't so much any more but my mother... she's like a chimney :wink: and so to an extent i'm not anti-smoking. It's a choice that people can make and if they want to knowingly inhale chemicals then that's their choosing.

It only really bothers me when it encroaches on non-smokers wishes. Say for example a none smoker is in the car when you decide to spark up. This is when I get a little peed that I have to inhale this crap, where the smoker has no consideration. If it was an open space then it's not really a problem, I don't wanna enhale it i'll just move... but if for some reason I have to enhale it then it's not fair.

6. Micah

Guys that smoke have horrible breathe. One of my friends who I kissed last week is a smoker. It wasn't as enjoyable as I'd liked it to have been - simply because he tasted like an ash tray.

7. Jerr

I've kissed a guy who smoked the only problem I had was when he exhaled in my mouth ...yea that was a bit rude haha but whatever he was cute

Yes, his breath was not desirable but it did beat plane old bad breath. (I had strong gum anyways so problem was solved)

In the car well... my family always rolls down the window and holds their hand were the cigarette is by it so all the smoke goes out... yes when they first lite it up that smoke goes everywhere but to tell the truth I like that first lit smell.

I can rarely smell it on anyone who smokes unless they just got done and it is a different kind from my parents.

Well to be honest, I am surprised that people are not cutting off my head for this.

A girl at school tried and said "My grandma died because she smoked." ...I was like... so? Where evil space monkeys forcing her to? I don't think so. Yes way back when the hazards of smoking where not widely known (if known at all) but during her life time the hazards where discovered and she could have chosen to quit and she didn't. (she then proceeded to go on about how I am such a horrible person and yadda yadda)

Has anyone seen that smoking episode of South Park? I actually enjoy the message it gives when the kids first visit the tobacco company. It gives the history like how slaves were brought over to help with the growing of tobacco so many of our black friends wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for tobacco. It also says how tobacco was a main export of the United States when we were first trying to be a country. It then went to the year when the Surgeon General's warning label was required to be on every box. It said something like "...now people know the dangers of smoking and are allowed to choose if they want to or not and we believe thats part of what makes the United States so great." (referring to the ability to choose period not just to choose to smoke or not.... in case that went over a few peoples heads...)

8. Micah

Well exactly - its a personal choice, and as long as it doesnt affect others then its fine.
    Health issues aside, the real issue comes from smokers not being considerate of the fact that cigarette smoke can be extremely repulsive for non-smokers.

9. Jerr

I was actually a bit more pissed off then I let on when Mr. X (I'll just call the guy that) exhaled in my mouth. I told him I didn't smoke. I would have been more expressive with my dislike of that if it wasn't for we were both in the lake and naked. (nothing happened more then me giving him a hand job... I'm not oh so whorish I promise)

10. GuitarGirl1350

Smoking. Disgusting habit that should be illegalized. The reason it isn't is MONEY- NOT THE GOV'T WATCHING OUT FOR YOU. I lost my father to smoking when I was nine years old, my grandfather died from it, my great-grandfather died from it (both before I was even born). If you have children, a wife, husband, partner, etc, you shouldn't smoke in your home because the secondhand smoke is just as dangerous as the crap you're inhaling. The innocents are forced to suffer the formaldehyde, tar, and rat poison fumes as well. If you want to kill yourself slowly, go right fucking ahead, but don't put those you love at risk. What are you going to think 50 years from now when you're in the hospital, moments away from death because you decided you had to be a smoker? When your partner and children are there, tears in their eyes, because you're too young to die? Because in a way it was your own suicide? I'll tell you this- I have been on the child end, and it is not a fucking tea party. I'll bet my father didn't want to die because of it.
    Also, the "choice" is taken away the minute you get addicted to the damn things- which makes the government RICH, also why they DON'T ILLEGALIZE THEM. And don't give anyone that "I could quit tomorrow" bullshit- my father said that for YEARS and it NEVER WORKED and now he's DEAD.
    The beauty of America, and other countries with free will, however, is that people have the right to be idiots. Yes, that's right- I called smokers idiots. Because you've got to be dense on some level to even start.
    Okay. I'm finished fuming.

#10 GuitarGirl1350, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  11. Jerr

There we go! That is what I was waiting for. You remind me of Holly. She lost her... god I can't even remember... didn't care oh so much... but yea she lost some loved one due to smoking...

My best mate's Great Gramma can't be around smoke. (hey she is old so I give her a break) so his Gramma (not Great but her daughter...the Great Gramma lives with the Gramma) smokes outside... It is one small step that helps her... It would be nice if all would do that but I understand if you don't want to I mean hey it is YOUR house and YOU paid for it. I wouldn't say go out and smoke when your child is in the room but like if you are smoking with a group of friends playing cards at night and little SaJennaLouise (yea Samantha Jenna and Louise haha gotta love my made up name) comes in thirsty... you are not going to throw your cigarette in the sink and wave your arms franticly to rid the room of smoke... you are going to put down the cigarette in the ash trey and get little SaJennaLouise her glass of water and take her back to bed... YES she will inhale some smoke... OH DARN... She will live I PROMISE.

So there are steps people can take so others won't inhale the smoke... but I don't care. I've been around smoke all my life. I'm not the most athletic of the group and yet amazingly I have no lung problems what so ever.

My mom has smoked sense well forever and it is the FUNNIEST thing when they X-Ray her lungs. (if it is a new person doing it) Their face is like one of horror. It is the greatest thing. They come in with that look of horror and like act all urgent and tell her she needs to go to the hospital now and yadda yadda. She has to stop them to inform them that all those black things on her lungs are scars NOT cancer. haha It is so funny. (She got chemical pneumonia when she was chlorinating a pool and it scarred up her lungs but on an x-ray it looks like tumors.) The first time it happened she didn't catch it and figure out why they were spazzing out. So she had to go to the hospital and talk to the doctor... she was well... disgruntle... (not NEARLY as amused as I was)

Another thing about my momma... Again the woman has smoked sense she was at least 20 and has only stopped for like a year and a half for when she had Chemical pneumonia. The whole bad breath and yellow teeth thing always amuses me. YES, Smoking will help those along but if you have good brushing/rinsing habits.... those problems are non existent. The dentist had no idea that my mom smoked... she even said that my mom had some of the best teeth. (apparently her breath wasn't so horrible either)

12. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Okay time for my 2 cents again...

If you don't like a smoker smoking in the car.. FIND ANOTHER RIDE!!! If I am in my space it is still my choice.. I don't know that I am an IDIOT as some have suggested.. but let me tell you I have quit worse things than cigarrettes in my lifetime(you ever wanna chat about that.. let me know)... and frankly in 50 years SMOKING OR NOT.. I will be on death bed with my whole family by my side.. I don't hear you all complaining about the exhaust from your cars and the toxic fumes put out by industry... People who smoke are really not the largest contributors to the air quality problems that some people face.. If you don't like to around smokers- then don't go to there homes, don't ride in their cars, just leave them alone.. THEY WILL BE GLAD THAT YOU DID...

Thats it.. TYVM

13. Jerr

Yea if you're like say a parent and your child is in the car... just crack a window... WAIT... every smoker cracks a window when they smoke and they hold their cigarette by the window... and yet... the smoke going out the window is somehow intoxicating the poor youth to the point of death!... wait... no its not!

So... why are people complaining about being in the same car as a smoker? If by chance you get the 1 out of every smoker on earth that doesn't crack a window... ask them to! Simple answer for a simple problem.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

For what it's worth, here is my views on this:

Smoking killed my father when he was 64. He had smoked all his life since he was about 14, and for many years was on about 40 a day. He was diagnosed with lung cancer when he went to the doctor with a cough that wouldn't clear up after a mild cold, went for tests, was diagnosed and despite the usual attempts of treatment with radiotheropy and chemotheropy he died just 10 months later. His lung cancer was the usual form that smokers get (I don't know the details, but the cause was never in doubt). Had it not been for the smoking I am sure he would still be here.

So maybe I am biased, but whatever.

He smoked in the house when I was a kid. Back then of course people were less aware of the risks of passive smoking, and indeed even of the risks of smoking yourself. However he never smoked in the house when my sister's kids were there (his own decision because the risks were now better known).

Mum had obviously lived with him smoking for the whole time they were married - just over 40 years. She has had a couple of lung tests after he died (she was obviously worried about the effects of passive smoking) and is fine.

When I lived there I never noticed the smell. However having moved away around 18 years ago, and not smoking myself, I did then notice the smell when I visited. It was their home though, and if he wanted to smoke in it than that's his choice. He would generally go into another room to smoke, and left the windows open etc.

I am very pleased that in the UK a ban on smoking in public places is coming into effect later this year. I hate going out to where people are smoking, having the smell in the air and getting into my clothes etc. A lot of places now have smoking and non-smoking areas, and if that is properly organised (some sort of division and an extractor fan for example) it works very well. Some places do it less well and just assume the smoke and smell will not cross some invisible line across the room - but it does.

The majority of smokers are now considerate towards those who don't smoke, even when the non-smoker is in their car or home (places where they are obviously free to do what they like). Some though seem to take delight in blowing their smoke towards those who don't smoke, despite requests not to do so.

A moving car is difficult because even holding the cigarette out of the window doesn't help much as the smoke blows back. The worst is the smoke that the smoker exhales into the car, not the bit that wafts off the end of the held cigarette. Anyway that's my choice - do I accept a lift with a smoker knowing that he will smoke or do I find another way of getting where I need to go. Likewise I choose whether to visit the home of a smoker friend or meet elsewhere.

It is of course more of a problem if your parents smoke, you are living with them, and you want to avoid the smoke as much as possible. The best thing would be to try to come to some arrangement or compromise, such as that they do not smoke in or near your room, they don't smoke in the car except on long journeys, and they don't smoke at meal times until you have finished eating and drinking.

Every year the government in the UK put up tax on cigarettes, claiming it is for health reasons. However they never put it up that much. They know of course that if they put it up a lot people would cut down or stop smoking, which although it would have health benefits, it would aso reduce rather than increase the revenue coming in. So they increase the tax as much as they can get away with but that people will withstand, then they can claim health reasons but the increase is actually just for revenue.

For health reasons, the best thing the governments could do would be to ban smoking or to tax it to the extent that nobody could afford it. But then the revenues they receive in tax would drop drastically, so they won't do that. They bring in other legislation that may save a few dozen lives a year (child car seats, home electrical wiring regulations etc) because these won't affect the revenues significantly. But they will never being in the legislation that would save many thousands of lives a year - banning smoking - because they could not afford to.

15. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    as has been said though, as anti-smoking as some people on this forum are it is a personal choice and as long as people are well educated then I believe they should be able to take the risks. That's a part of the whole freedom game.

As for the car scenario goes, granted if it's someone elses car then sure i'd get a different ride, but when i'm DRIVING my dad's car and suddenly 2 or 3 family members spark up and I suddenly get a lung full of smoke i wasn't expecting then it's not particularly nice. Another thing is the smell, with two of my sisters (who visit regularly) and my mother all smoking like chimneys then the smell gets everywhere in the house. To the extent that all of my clothes smelled of smoke - not particularly nice. However, to be fair since i've told them to keep smoking to the one room in the house then it's not a problem!!!

It's really just when people smoking gets in the way of the freedoms of the non-smokers that problems occur.

16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Okay, i've been quite silent in this thread because i didn't really think i could be civilized enough to talk about it.

But i have to express my disgust for what you posted. I'm not sure if you're posting this as an invite to be bashed and make the mods job a freakin hell trying to keep the rest of us under control or you're just ignorant enough to assume you can say these things and expect even one person to agree with you.

Are you completely out of your mind, these yellow teeth and "scars" (you say it as if thats not threatening enough) are just your body's warning signs....this is child's play considering what to come. You realize your mother might as well drink ammonia because not only is she killing herself slowly but raising a completely insolent child.

I'm not sure who i hate to hear speaking more....you or a bible preacher. And believe me, congrats because i don't think anyone has ever made me as insulted to be a human as you have. With all respect, please just stop posting about topics such as this and the (RED) campaign because i don't know how much longer before i seriously start breaking rules. Sorry if i've broken them already, i'm quite drunk but this has obviously been quite sobering.

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Blowing smoke into someone's mouth is not cool unless the recipient has agreed to it. I might kind of like it in the right situation. :lol:

I'm a smoker (half a pack a day) and I'm tired of the government getting too involved with private businesses. I think a business owner should have the right to decide whether to allow smoking in his establishment. There should be reasonable air handling standards that new businesses woud have to conform to (building codes) and existing businesses would have to upgrade to at the next major renovation. People can choose to work at and visit these places or not. Allow the market to dictate whether it's good for business to allow smoking. If one bar allows smoking and customers start going to non-smoking bars and no one wants to work there, then that will drive owners to change to non-smoking. I think I would have this opinion even if I wasn't a smoker due to my feelings regarding liberty.

I really enjoy smoking right now. Maybe I'll regret it someday, maybe I'll quit, or maybe I'll die of something totally unrelated to smoking 50 years from now or tomorrow. I rarely smoke in my house because I don't like the smell lingering everywhere. I don't like the smell on me so I wash my hands and drink something while and after smoking. Several people I worked with for years had no idea that I smoked until they saw me coming in from the smoking patio. When I'm in my car I open the window about an inch and put the fan on high to push the smoke outside. Non-smokers say they can't tell that I smoke in it. I can't imagine smoking in an enclosed car. I think that is gross, but I don't think there should be a law outright banning it. At least allow for the window/fan thing which is very effective. Furthermore, if the fan is pulling in fresh air, the air inside a car is turned over fairly quickly due to its small volume. The smell of smoke is not the same thing as actually breating smoke. I am considerate of others when I smoke and try to stay down-wind and keep it away from others as much as possible.

The government should not be allowed to regulate smoking in our homes. That is too Big Brotherish

If the government really wants to raise money to help pay healthcare costs related to unhealthy choices, how about taxing junk food? I don't think we pay sales tax at all on stuff like potato chips, cookies, candy, etc when bought at a grocery store. These are luxuries, albeit small ones. Tax these types of things at the same rate as tobacco and alcohol or at least at the standard sales tax rate (6.5% here). It seems there are far more overweight people around than smokers, and being overweight is unhealthy, according to doctors. It seems to me that the general population thinks it's ok to target smokers, but not overweight people. Please understand that I'm not talking about people who have medical reasons for their weight, but there are many people whose caloric intake (food and drink) rarely approaches their caloric output (physical work, exercise, etc.).

18. Jerr

I thought I had mentioned the whole scars thing as in where they REALLY came from... The Chemical Pneumonia she had caused the scars. In no way are they related to smoking what so ever. Although many an x-ray tech has thought they were. (of course they thought they were little tumors not scars) ((also I found it funny because the scars are just scars... they are not related to smoking and they are not affecting her health in anyway... to say something that would be close to how I see it... I can bend my arms in a way that makes them look broken... I had no idea that I could do this... well more that other people couldn't... and like it freaked people out to see me doing it... like the way the x-ray people were when they saw the scars.))

I also believe I mentioned that she has stopped. Yes, she could still possibly have problems because of her smoking for so long but she knows what she did she still chose to do it even though she knew the risks. (as many Americans do)

The yellow teeth thing... I think I said that she didn't have yellow teeth... or I might have just implied it.

I really like what mnguy had to say. Especially about how you mentioned that you were not talking about those with medical condition. Chances are when people are talking about those who are overweight, they are not referring to those who have medical conditions which cause them to be overweight. At least I don't. Yet, it is one of the first things mentioned when someone says something about the overweight population. So kudos for you, mnguy!

19. nisomer

My dad smokes, my mom used to smoke but she quit. I for one, will never smoke because I think it's gross and for me, its a complete turn off when I see a hot guy that smokes.

At the MN state fair maybe 3-5 years ago, they had these car bumper stickers that said something like, "Kissing a smoker is like licking an ash tray."

20. Micah

Except an ashtray doesn't call you back :frowning2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.