1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About caloric counting

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Drago2012, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Drago2012

Hello everyone,

I've been dieting for two months already and I've lost 30lbs. I'm uber happy about it, but I have a question that I'm really not sure about.
    I've been doing caloric counting and not exercise (yet) because I think Im still too heavy for exercise (I could be wrong though, but I've gotten results). I used to be 305lbs when I started and Im down to 275, I just figured I was eating about 3000 + calories a day, so I went down to 1500 or so a day.
    My question is, when it comes to counting calories does it count how many you consume a day or is it more weekly based? Because some days I eat very little (not on purpose, I either forget or I have nothing to eat (tough economic times)) and some days I eat a lot more. I'm still loosing weight so I imagine, I must be doing something good.
    One more thing, I also don't want to exercise because it would mean that I'd need to eat more, and I can't afford it yet. Healthy food is quite expensive, you know? (If you need to know, my budget is between 10 and 20 bucks a week (tough times, indeed):icon_sad:slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

First of all, well done for losing that much - that's impressive!

Gaining and losing bodyfat happens over a long term (weeks and months rather than days). As such your average energy consumption over a week will be more important than any daily fluctuations in how much you eat. Ideally you would want to consume about the same amount each day, simply because this is the easiest to keep track of and keeps your appetite in check, but what actually matters is how much you are consuming in total.
    Consuming 1000 calories one day and 3000 calories the next isn't going to be significantly different to consuming 2000 calories on each day in the long term.

If you are concerned about hurting yourself while exercising because of your weight, then you can do non-impact exercise. Things like cycling and swimming and rowing are not affected by your weight as your legs won't be supporting yourself during them.

You shouldn't need to eat more if you start exercising - you should be able to get away with doing up to about 20 or 30 minutes of exercise a day without making changes to your diet.

3. Drago2012

Ty for that, I used to row when I was a teenager, but it is quite expensive unless I could find a rowing machine, which as quite expensive as well. :icon_sad: Rowing is actually my favorite sport, and I miss it a lot.
    I suppose I should get myself a bike, they are not that expensive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I've been trying to loose weight for a long time, but I think this is the first time that I have found good inspiration and will to go all the way. My goal is to go down to 200 but to have low body fat percentage. Eventually I want to start to work out and gain muscle, and ideally a six pack :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and I wanna do it all before I turn 30 years old which will be December next year.
    A friend of mine told me that it is possible, but I really don't have a work out plan or anything, so I think Ill start by getting myself a bike.

Extra info in case you wanna know:
    - I haven't have any sugary drinks since I started the diet, that includes any juice and soda. I only drink water.
    - I no longer eat bread, but if I do is whole wheat, is not often though. Same goes for pasta or anything that contains carbs. The only two exception are Milk (2%), which I drink in the morning with cereal (usually healthy stuff like Cheerios or Bran Flakes).
    - I try to eat more veggies and fruit, but they tend to be expensive, so is not an everyday thing. I stick to bananas and apples for fruit and tomatoes, bell peppers (all the colors), spinach and dark romaine lettuce.

Any other suggestions or comments are always appreciated. ^_^

4. Tyrael

Congratulations on the weight loss! You're quite an inspiration to me. I am currently hovering around 280 pounds myself and I am struggling to lose weight. I lost about 20 pounds a month ago and I've went back up to 280 now which is a real bummer. I need to be stricter with myself like you have been, no fizzy drinks etc. I'll follow your lead! :slight_smile:

Getting the bike is a good idea. I've taken to walking a mile or two a day, started that this week. It's low impact, I just walk fast for a short time, then slowly and then repeat. Better than nothing I suppose! :slight_smile: Good luck.

5. apostrophied

If you're on an uber-tight budget, have you tried oatmeal for breakfast? Personally, I can't stand the stuff, but a lot of people like it and it's extremely healthy and cheap (like 2 bucks or less for a kilo at Wal-Mart). It's also a lot more nutritious than the majority of commercial cereals available. Cook with water, add a little milk and sugar, and you're all set.

Good for you to pick lettuce, at less than $2 a head (usually), it's one of the cheapest veggies out there. Carrots (large ones, not baby) are also cheap when on sale.

You could learn to cook things with beans maybe, especially if you get the hang of cooking your own beans (vs. buying canned). Not the tastiest things out there, but they sure are cheap and healthy...

Why are you completely cutting out carbs such as bread and pasta, though? A healthy diet contains at least some carbs, it's a myth that carbs make you fat. No harm in a pasta dinner here and there, I promise. :slight_smile:

I hope the money situation gets better for you, $10-20 a week for food sounds awfully low, even when I factor in lower food prices in the US. (*hug*)

6. Drago2012

Well, for the holidays I'll have a bit more money, specially when the XMas bonus hits, but after that, my employer will cut my hours again. I work for a grocery store, until I can start doing internships and beginning work on my field of study. (Should be soon)

Ty for the tips on the Oatmeal, I LOVE oatmeal, I just though it was full of carbs and not much more. I do eat carbs, I haven't completely cut them out, but I stick to whole wheat stuff.

Ill try adding carrots to my salads too, that's a good idea. :icon_wink

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on the weight lose. When it comes to calorie counting, my fitnesspal and loseit are helpful sites. I have heard great reviews on loseit. I do not use them, but my friends have had great results with them. You can personalize them, at least I know you can with loseit, to how much weight you want to lose per week and it gives you the amount of calories that you can eat. I have heard of people having great success with these sites.

8. Ridiculous

- I haven't have any sugary drinks since I started the diet, that includes any juice and soda. I only drink water.

This is seriously the easiest and one of the most effective thing you can do and it is brilliant that you have done it. I'd definitely suggest you do the same Tyrael. Sugary drinks and fruit juice and pretty much anything other than water has none or negligible nutritional benefits for you and is just empty energy (and expensive!).

I try to eat more veggies and fruit, but they tend to be expensive, so is not an everyday thing. I stick to bananas and apples for fruit and tomatoes, bell peppers (all the colors), spinach and dark romaine lettuce.

Yeah fresh stuff can be expensive, and depending on what it is may not last for long. However frozen vegetables you can buy in the supermarket are just as good (and often better, because they are frozen very quickly after they are picked and don't have a chance to degenerate before you eat them like fresh does) and much cheaper most of the time. You can just put a couple of handfuls of frozen stir fry vegetable mix in a pan with a squirt of chilli sauce and it's great.

You could learn to cook things with beans maybe, especially if you get the hang of cooking your own beans (vs. buying canned). Not the tastiest things out there, but they sure are cheap and healthy...

This is great advice too: beans and lentils and so on are a really excellent food and are affordable - even canned red beans or chickpeas or something isn't very expensive. However the dried ones that you soak and cook yourself are dirt cheap - you can get a kg of them dried for about $4 here and they'll more than double in size and weight once they've been soaked and cooked. And I for one love how most of them taste :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

9. emkorora

emkorora Guest

YAY! FINALLY A TOPIC I CAN GIVE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ON!

*Cracks knuckles, adjusts chair*

There are approximately 3,000 calories in one pound of human body fat (this rate changes depending on many factors). The basic concept is obvious: consume less calories than you are expending. Applying this can be more difficult.

Every action requires energy (calories) to fulfill, voluntary (walking, chewing, etc.) and involuntary (heart-beat, eyelids, digestion). Most involuntary activity is generally consistent among people. It is the voluntary activity that varies greatly and contributes to the theories regarding how many calories to consume.

However scary this notion might be, when you are expending more calories than you are consuming, your body (like when you are diabetic and have a high glucose number) automatically will begin using the energy (calories) stored in your fat.

There are only four compositions in food that contribute to its amount of calories. Furthermore, their caloric value varies, too.

Protein - 4 calories
    Alcohol - 7 calories
    Fat - 9 calories
    Carbohydrate - 4 calories

I believe it is a 1 gram (g) quantity used for these ratios.

It is neigh impossible to single-handedly count every calorie in hand-crafted meal. For that reason, if you're making your own food or dining out there are basic assumptions that must be made (like diabetics do for carbohydrate quantities).

For that reason, I won't recommend websites to count calories because there are plenty to find independently.

But, I will break-down the general application of each caloric food composition.

Protein is contained in all meats. Fish, poultry, and red meat. I'll expand further a bit.

Fish-- mahi-mahi, tuna, caviar (fish eggs, note this later), crustaceans, salmon, etc.

Poultry-- chicken, turkey, duck, cornish game hen, etc. Eggs, particularly egg yolks are very high in protein. Due to contaminant-free qualities, egg whites are considered the "purest" form of protein and egg yolks the "purest" form of cholesterol. Eggs contain a great deal of both.

Red meat-- swine, cattle, etc.

Also all game animals contain protein. Furthermore, lentils (beans, essentially) contain protein.

-----

Alcohol, this is obvious what/where it can be found. HOWEVER, there are small amounts in all flavor extracts (vanilla, maple, almond, etc.).

-----

Fat. In culinary terms: lipids. Crisco, margarine, butter, vegetable oils, palm oils, etc. Certain foods high in lipids are pastries (due to the necessary characteristics of the dough-- raw fat is added to flour and water), diary products, meats, etc. Agricultural products-- vegetables and fruits-- do contain fat but in negligible amounts when consuming reasonable quantities.

-----

Carbohydrates. Every food has them-- meat, alcohol, vegetables. Some have less then others. I will list the food categories in order of their carbohydrate content (general):

Meats
    Vegetables
    Nuts (each nut contains few, but in reasonable amounts they have considerable sums)
    Dairy products
    Lentils/Starches (starches are things like potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes)
    Fruit (especially fruits high in fructose-- apples, oranges, grapes)
    Bread products (the flours often have many carbohydrates-- nut flours can remedy this)

I hope this helps!

I would cite all the scholarly and peer-reviewed sources I got this information during my time in the culinary institute but there's just too many.

10. Drago2012

Yes, I have been using the app FitnessPal because it makes it super easy to scan something and count it that way, but its hard to use on home made foods.

Good idea on the frozen veggies, I'll definitely give them and try, and you're right lentils and beans are cheap and I love me some lentils too. :grin:
    Ty everyone for all the support and tips. Now I have a better idea on what to spend money on, and I'll probably have enough too. ^_^

And when it comes to exercise, I have been doing 3 sets of 10 push ups each day. Ill do more when I get used to it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'll probably start speed walking as well, it's a good idea. I wish I could fix my iPod, it won't charge for whatever reason. (though its about 6 + years old)

11. Drago2012

First, sorry for the double post, I just couldn't edit my last one.
    Second.... WOW that's a lot of good info TY for that!
    and Third and I wanted to share a few pictures of me before I gained weight and after. I haven't taken any recently so the last ones I have are just before I started dieting.
    This one (I think I looked my hottest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) is from June 2008 and this one from 2009. I looked good on both (I think)
    Then this one is from 2012, just before I started gaining a bunch of weight, notice the raid hair as well lol (I think it looked good on me, whatcha guys think?).
    And finally this one is from February this year at my heaviest, 305lbs.

12. apostrophied

Oh, but oatmeal is one of the best carbs you can get! First, it's unrefined (if you just buy it plain in a big bag), and second, it has lots of fibers and protein, and third, it is what is called a long-chain carbohydrate, which means it has very long chains of carbon-hydrogen bonds for your body to break down to get energy, so you won't get hungry for a while after eating it. If you like it, you'd be infinitely better off eating that than commercial cereals. Bran flakes are just fiber and there's only so much energy you can get from that, and cheerios are very refined and full of air (and sugar, if you get the honey-nut kind). Basically, what I'm trying to say is that oatmeal is just as much a whole grain as whole wheat, and that it has tons of benefits that completely outweigh the (good) carbs that they contain. If your want to make it in the microwave, put it in a deeper ceramic or glass bowl and cover with water half an inch over the oats. Microwave for 3 min and watch that it doesn't boil over.

13. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Yes, I agree. You look very handsome in all the pictures but the 2008/hottest one. Good luck on your journey!

14. Drago2012

That's awesome! I'll be having Oatmeal for Breakfast every morning then :grin:

Aww ty :icon_wink

15. apostrophied

16. Drago2012

17. apostrophied

18. Drago2012

Really? no Grits in Canada? I would imagine since we are neighbors that you guys get them too? Huh.... Well ty again for the info on raw oatmeal.
    and
    How about if I add dark cocoa (not the sugary kind), then that should be fine, shouldn't it?

19. Ridiculous

Cocoa powder has about 70% as much energy as an equivalent amount of sugar - brands will vary though.
    However that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever have it - you've got to enjoy what you're eating! Some sugar (or cocoa powder, or other equivalent) is perfectly fine, just don't go overboard.

20. apostrophied

Well, yes, we do have "grits" here, the real word for them is Liberals (as in the Liberal Party of Canada)! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you mean the corn type of grits, now that I look it up, I know what you are talking about except it's extremely uncommon. I've made it a few times because I needed to eat something and I had corn on hand (I usually use it for cornbread), but it's definitely not a common dish at all. If I remember correctly, it's very filling, but mostly carbs. A quick google search led me to this page Dr. Gourmet Says... Eat - Don't Eat : Grits vs. Oatmeal, which pretty much confirmed what I already thought. This Red RiverĀ® Hot Cereal 1.35 kg | Walmart.ca is also a decent choice if you can get it in the states, although it's more expensive than plain oatmeal, and takes a long time to cook (you need to do it in a pan, unlike oatmeal, it doesn't really microwave well at all). It is full of fiber and gluten (aka protein) and is quite filling. Can't compare nutritional content to that of oats, as this is not my specialty lol.

Re. cocoa, I don't see the harm as long as you don't use too much. Bear in mind that the taste may be quite strong if you don't use any sugar, though.

If you decide to go with canned beans, watch out to get the no-salt-added kind, otherwise that stuff is full of salt... Lentils are actually not bad, I have to admit. You can make a nice soup by cooking a bunch, adding them to a chicken/beef broth mix to which you add cooked onions and some garlic. Throw in some carrots, herbs if you feel adventurous (no clue which ones lol), and add some lemon juice to it after you serve it. Great with a piece of bread and margarine on the side!!

For another version of this, I do the same basic recipe, but with less water and throw in some cooked rice, a pack of frozen chopped spinach, and some frozen corn. Cook the whole thing until it looks like a kind of a stew. I would skip the lemon juice with this, but that's just me.

I usually use plain brown lentils, they're cheap and easy to find.

OH HEY! Look, a website full of lentil recipes! XD http://www.lentils.ca/