1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am scare too get tested!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by andrew812, Nov 29, 2013.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I have never really been tested before. I know I really need too, because i have slept with over 25 five people. And some of them it was non-protected sex too. I am just really scared. How bad is it to get tested?

2. Incognito10

It's more scary to let time pass and worry about the "what if?"

In addition, you need to be aware of your status so you're not putting your partner/s at risk.

The test itself is simple--you receive a regular blood draw and wait 20 minutes for the results.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi andrew812,

It is scary but necessary.

Here's what I did: I lined up a group of friends with whom I shared what I was going to do, this did two things; (1) I would have looked foolish if I had changed my mind at the last minute and (2) they were there for me if the news was less that I had hoped for.

I hope that you have stopped having unprotected sex, right?

The testing itself is not difficult, make sure it's a centre that has a counsellor at hand. You should be tested for ALL potential STDs, not only HIV; these include testing for gonorrhea, syphilis, etc. these are risk factors that increase the likelihood for HIV. I did the HIV antibody test first, that was my preference, the rest were done after.

The chances of having a serious STD are low, but they are not zero; hence the fear. What motivated me to do it was more a concern for others, I could not live with myself if I were to infect someone else...

4. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

Yeah it is not really me that I am concerned about. I would just hate to spread to somebody.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ummmm... why do you not care about yourself? You deserve to be healthy and happy, you know? :slight_smile:

I appreciate that you care about others but caring about yourself is just as important. Also... you probably already know this but, ya gotta cut out the bareback sex or you *will* end up HIV+. I don't know anyone who has consistently played safe who has gotten HIV, and, sadly, I know several dozen guys who always claimed they "usually" used condoms... all of whom became HIV+ since I have known them. There's simply no excuse in this day and age.

Testing is psychologically scary, but takes about 5 minutes, requires a mouth swab or a drop or two of blood... and that's it. Please do get tested. :slight_smile:

6. walshy222

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would get tested straight away, just for piece of mind to be honest. No point in worrying about something you probably don't have and if you do have something it is better to get tested and treated for it. Don't worry, you will be fine!

7. yidnah87

I was in your position too at one point. I had had several partners and had never actually been tested. I was too nervous to see the result. But then I finally went and did it. I went to the county health dept and got tested for HIV and other stds. A lot of these facilities will have you meet with a counselor beforehand to answer any questions and assess your risk. This really helped to calm me down. I then found out that I was negative :slight_smile:. I have gone once since then and I plan to go once or twice a year from now on.

8. taobroin

taobroin Guest

greatwhale is right you really should get tested for the spectrum of possible STDs including HIV, HPV (Human Papillomavirus) and Hepatitis A and C; Herpes; and others... It's better to know that not - certainly you and your partners should be practicing safe sex - especially since you don't know your status. Keep in mind - you can also get a home HIV test kit if you need answers quick. OraQuick is an in-vitro diagnostic home-use test for HIV (HIV-1 and HIV-2) in oral fluid. This HIV test works by looking for your body's response to fighting the HIV virus (antibodies). Available over the counter at pharmacies for $40.