1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MyChemRomance, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MyChemRomance

Lately, I've been seeing that at random times, the hearing in one or both of my ears will go out, and they'll go numb and I can't feel them. I wasn't doing anything unusual, and that's why I'm afraid it's something serious. Any ideas on what's going on?

2. apostrophied

Hmmm, weird symptoms, have you tried googling them? Either way, definitely head to the doctor to talk about this. Good luck!

3. Data

Data Guest

This happens to me. I'll just be sitting doing nothing loud, and one of my ears will go deaf and then slowly come back with a slight ringing. Both ears do it occasionally.

My mom always says "it's wax settling" and she does have a point. Wax can cause a ringing noise that comes and goes. If you have clean ears, I would say it isn't that.

I had a homemade pyrotechnical device explode about 4 feet in front of me on a patio with a sheet metal roof. The bang was so loud I went deaf for about 5 seconds and then had ringing in my ears for about 5 minutes after that. Faulty fireworks, check.

I have shot a few .22LR rifles without hearing protection, and I have rolled up to the range benches in my car and gotten out just as someone let off a large caliber hunting rifle. It is loud, but not loud enough at that distance to make my ears ring. Besides the incidents where I had no muffs on, I have been shooting for over a decade with muffs that had a 32 Db rating. That is still pretty loud when you look at the numbers, so that has probably taken a bit of a toll on my ears. Guns, check.

I rode a motorcycle everyday for a year and every few days for 6 months before that. I took a few highway trips where I'd ride at 80mph with no windshield and a 3/4 face helmet. As I came off the off ramp, all I could hear was a shwooshing sound like the ocean at the beach. I never wore ear plugs because they deafened me to the point where I couldn't hear cars pulling up next to/behind me and that made me VERY uncomfortable. Motorcycles, check.

Toss in three concerts, and probably 20 college hockey games so far. I'm fucked.

So I think it comes kind of like tinnitus. I haven't lost enough frequencies to where I can hear the phantom ringing all the time, but I get the deaf bouts. I just think it's the damage I've done to the inner ear that causes it.

I've had it happen before I was in my motorcycle accident, so it wasn't a result of the concussion.

IDK op, I probably haven't helped you at all. Perhaps the extra info from my experience lines up with some things you have done as well?

4. things that have been really known to mess with hearing

first is just a temporary infection or cold and this is not serious at all or if just travel and altitude

if you have at all been exposed to sound - I did this with too many concerts and loud music in my own room & with headphones (earbuds also do this)

medications also cause problems - any NSAID are notorious can do this if used long enough.

it is also just sort of normal to lose it as you get older. ( I have recently had to get hearing aids due to pretty bad loss myself)

5. Silver Sparrow

Definitely talk to your doctor if you are worried.