1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zeevie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Zeevie

So as I write this, it's 6:45am GMT. Another night of no sleep. A lot of things have been keeping me up, worries about school, Christmas, the fact that I'm now semi-out to some and not others and not sure how I feel about it etc.

I was just wondering if anybody has some (legal :lol:slight_smile: pointers on how to calm my frantic brain and get a good night's sleep? I really don't like taking sleeping pills as they make me feel like a zombie the next day and as much as I like The Walking Dead, I don't really wanna be cast as a walker. :lol:

Any advice?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

There is this drink called Neurosleep available in local markets. (I guess depending on where you live ) I've heard that it works well. I haven't personally tried it though.

3. Data

Data Guest

Well you took away my sure-fire method! I love my Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and Doxylamine Succinate. They put me out like a light. I do feel a bit of a hangover the next day, you're right.

You might try Melatonin. It makes some people feel sleepy. It didn't really work for me. It just gave me very vivid dreams. I'll take those any night (lucid is ALMOST achieved) but it's not what I look for in a sleeping pill.

The best advice is to do a few things:

Don't eat before bed.

Don't have a light on for ~1 hour before bed. Computer, TV, cell phone, even a nightlight for some people. I can sleep in the middle of the day with the window open and I have no problem sleeping with the light on. That will DESTROY some people who are trying to sleep. So it's up to your own unique sleep style.

Don't drink caffeine after like 4 or 5 pm. I can't sleep if I have caffeine 5 or 6 hours before bed.

Maybe try some deep breathing to relax and calm the thoughts running around in your head. Stress will absolutely screw up your sleeping and you sound stressed. :grin:

For some people, too much noise will keep them up, and not enough noise will keep them up. I personally MUST have a TV on low volume to fall asleep. My mom used to play a radio when I was a baby, and I think that's why I need the TV. Dead silence will keep me up just as much as a rave going on next door. Try a radio on static. Just pick a spot with no station and just listen to the white noise. It might help.

4. Zeevie

Thanks, I'll try those methods. It's slowly but surely driving me crazy so I'll try anything at this point!

5. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's difficult to think about "nothing", so the way I handle this is to think about something I enjoy that will keep my brain busy in a pleasant way. In my case, I think about the fiction I write. I go over favorite scenes, sort of like reading to myself. I fall asleep almost instantly unless I start thinking about all the things that stress me. If I start thinking of something stressful, I make myself think only of the stories. It can take a few tries, but once I focus on the stories, I fall asleep.

My other trick for handling stressful thoughts is keeping a notepad by the bed to write down things I want to remember to deal with. If I think I'll forget, it can keep me awake. Once I write it, I can stop thinking about it. I almost never look at the paper - just writing it helps.

The other advice about lights, food, etc is good too. I've heard that the brain detects even the tiny lights from electronic devices, so you might need to make it darker to get the best quality sleep. (That's why writing the notes on paper is better than lighting up a device. Have a blank page on top so you don't have to see what you're doing.)

#5 Chloe, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. apostrophied

Watch out, Benadryl can be a stimulant for some people. Usually children, but still, you wouldn't want to take one when you need to sleep only to realize it keeps you up instead. xD

Have you tried those YouTube videos that feature hours and hours of relaxing music? Just plug in your phone (I have a plug right next to my bed so it's great for that) and play one all night. I personally like to listen to an audio Bible, that works great for me (no disrespect, I swear!!! Lol) but the music one has also been good.

Reading a really boring book?

I'm afraid, though, that many of the tips I and others have given you are effective for mild insomnia, like, "I went to bed at 10 and I only fell asleep at 12." If you spend whole entire nights without sleep, perhaps more involved techniques (relaxation, etc) are going to be necessary.

Hope you get better soon!!