1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arthroscopic shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheDifferent13, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TheDifferent13

In about 5 months I'm scheduled to have an arthroscopic surgery of my left shoulder, due to a SLAP tear.

I injured my shoulder about a year ago, when fooling around in a handstand. For a week or so after that I couldn't move my arm, and ever since then, whenever I do something physical that puts a lot of burden on my shoulder, causes pain and soreness during the activity and afterwards.

So, I was wondering if anyone ever had anything similar, and had any more insight on this, like how long is the recovery back to full functionality of the shoulder afte the surgery, or at least how long until I can start working on getting the strength and flexibility back.

I'm also wondering, if I should be working hard towards training and strenghtening my shoulder before the surgery, since I know, that I will loose a lot of strenght in my entire arm, from not being able to use it for a while after the surgery.

Also, as I mentioned in another topic, I would like to start with shaolin kung fu, and I don't know whether I should even bother going there before the surgery, since I won't be able to participate for a while after it. But on the other hand, I don't want to wait for a full year (if not more) before starting something like that. If anyone could throw in a piece of advice on that, or maybe a personal experience on something similar, I would greatly appreciate it. :slight_smile:

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I dont want to devalue anybody on EC, but what you are essentially looking for is medical advice.... And even if someone has the qualifications here, they arent seeing you in person as a patient, which means nobody really has the scope to give you that sort of advice.

I would encourage you to seek the help of a medical professional, and maybe get a few different perspectives. Maybe try massages, physical therapy, holistic medicine (its worth trying if you can avoid surgery), and exhaust all of your resources and then try surgery.