1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i going to die?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DrkRayne, Dec 13, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

This is why a person should NEVER go to webmd(.)com

So I have been in moderate to severe pain since Tuesday night. Right below my left rib in the back. Burning pain that never goes away and just gets worse and worse. It reaches its peak in the middle of the night/morning (say 3 to 5 am) waking me and making me want to cry.
    I endured it for a while, then finally relented and went to the doc. My doc is out of town so i saw someone in his office.
    All my urine test came back clear. He thought it was a muscle issue, but then all those checks came back clear. Finally he discovered a lump right where my kidney is, where the pain is coming from. its about 1.5 inches and tender and painful. press on it and i start screaming.

He said he doesnt know what it is. it could be anything, from tight muscles to cyst or something. He gave me muscle relaxers, narcotic pain meds and said schedule an ultrasound next week when my primary doc gets back if it doesn't go away. he gave me no diagnosis.
    So I'm enduring the pain as I can't take narcotics and work. I woke up at 3am last night in agony again and had to take meds.
    Web MD has said some crazy stuff that scares me.
    What do i do? Do I just wait till Monday and keep popping vicodin? I'm in agony without it. Do i seek a second opinion before Monday?
    What do i do?
    Am i going to die from some obscure tumor or something?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa! First: breathe (slowly)!

Second: You saw a doctor right? I assume he is reasonably competent so no dire emergency was identified.

No one here at EC is remotely qualified to tell you what this is, and going on the WebMD was probably not wise. Unless the pain gets worse, or other symptoms appear (in which case go to emergency), you can probably wait until Monday while popping the Vicodin.

I have actually recently had an MRI which was done for my spine, but they found a 1-inch cyst on my right kidney (it was found 6 years ago but appears to have grown some). I also will have an ultrasound done, but there is no pain or urgency. Cysts are very common and can sometimes be painful. Again this is not a diagnosis in your case, just information.

Hang tight, and remember, any change in symptoms should be seen right away!

3. apostrophied

Breathe. You're not going to die, at least not right away, I promise.

And then go back to the doctor, ASAP. Is the emergency room an option for you?

*hugs* I have funny hearth rhythms which scared me quite a bit, so I kinda get why you're scared. Truth is, it could be anything or nothing, so try, just try, not to freak out.

4. DrkRayne

I'm trying to remain calm.

its just weird seeing a giant rock in the side of your body and going "wth?" and realizing that all the pain you've been feeling is from that.

I think I'll go to the urgent care near my house and see what they say. The pain just isnt tolerable anymore. I can't keep going through this.

5. apostrophied

Could it be a kidney stone?

Anyway, good for you that you are going to see someone about this. I hope they are able to reassure you a little. *hug*

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like it could be a cyst, or kidney stone (?), or tumor. But even if it is that dreaded last option, it doesn't mean you're going to die. If it's benign, all well and good. They take it out and you go on your merry way. If it's malignant, they still take it out, but then have to make sure that it has not metastasized (gone to the spreading stage) and gotten to other parts of you.

Whatever it is though, relax. Get a second opinion, but you will not go wrong by trusting doctors. :slight_smile:

7. DrkRayne

So...I ended up going to the ER

Its a 2cm mass. They don't know what it is. The doctor told me most likely its the beginning stages of an infection, but its not big enough for them to lance and drain (?) so I have to go see a general surgeon. Because its not an emergency (ie not a bad infection) they can't do much there.
    They simply gave me enough meds to start a street business and told me to take it easy.
    Have to go to another doc tomorrow to see about getting it removed surgically.
    Frankly...i just wanna know what the hell causes stuff like this :confused:

8. sometimes we are never sure why it goes wrong, the body is a little frail and parts happen to break, luckily there are medications and doctors to help us nowadays. You probably did nothing and could have done nothing to prevent this.

as an aside, I read the title and thought, of course none of us are getting out of this alive are we?

9. photoguy93

Web MD should be called "well might die ...right now."

Look, if you go to the doctors and they know what's going on, and it's someone you trust, let it be. Let them figure it out. It is true that you are your best advocate, but still....they are the professionals!

Yes, we all will die at some point but I don't think your time is right now! So don't fret too much!

10. Emilia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I had one of those, in my back. I don't know how you call it in english, but it's kind of a mass that sometimes gets hot and hurts all the time. It could be cause by any infection that escapes from its original place and goes out like that. I don't really know how to explain it, but you have to wait until it gets really big and then get it drained by a doctor, or a nurse, or whoever who knows how to do it. I'm not sure if it's the same thing that I had, but it sounds a lot like that.

11. I got shooting pains in my right rib for months. Said it was something with my gallbladder, I'd get that checked too.

12. MaineBiGuy

MaineBiGuy Guest

Last summer, I had a kidney stone and it fucking HURT! Could be that.

13. DrkRayne

Back to doc today...they should give out frequent flier miles.

So it hurts like a mess, and has gotten worse and is spreading..... soooo freaking nervous...

14. apostrophied

Crap. I hope you get that taken care of very, very fast, and feel much better soon. *hugs*

15. Silver Sparrow

Feel better soon!

16. apostrophied

How are you doing? I hope for a quick recovery for you! *hugs*

17. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Chill out. Your not going to die.

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hang in there. If it was something that needed to have something done urgently, it would have been done. I'm certain you'll find out more when you see your doctor tomorrow.

19. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Webmd is designed for trained medics and scientists. Most of people are not used to talk about cancers, mortality and stuff, because in 99% of times you don't need it at all. Those are just medical terms that you will probably never hear. Almost any pain can potentially be caused by cancer. If I have a headache, that doesn't mean I have brain tumor. Don't pay attention and only think about what YOUR doctor told you, not what an alien website lists.

Stay well and practise positive attitude :slight_smile:

#19 hatiko, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013