1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to only eat once a day for a 23 year old guy ?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I usually only eat once a day, I never have breakfast or a dinner just something in the middle of the day, I don't get hungry really and I haven't really lost much in the way of weight in ages (just have a small belly that I want rid of) .

My family etc. try and make me eat 3 times a day but normally when I live alone that never happens. When I wake up I never have any hunger, if I have breakfast I have to force myself to eat it.

2. Nick07

I don't think it is wise. The level of your blood sugar probably shifts all the time and your body have to constantly deal with it. Together with other things that I am not aware of.

3. bitchyetough

Speaking from personal experience I eat only once a day most of the time.
    However occasionally I eat a huge quantity of food.
    I'm currently seeing a nutritionist as the doctor diagnosed me as a binge eater.
    I lost 14 kilos in 2 months, but other from that after blood tests I'm technically healthy, save the fact I'm a tiny bit over as far as cholesterol goes. So eating once per day actually had a positive impact on me. (But apparently it's not recommended and they both said it shouldn't continue)

4. danobi

Eat small portions various times a day, one meal can cause your metabolism to slow and make weight gain occur not weight loss. Its bad for you and causes your body to react to your eating pattern and store fat as it thinks you do not have options to eat.

5. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Safe? No. Stupid? Very. I only eat once a day because I'm between jobs and money's running dangerously low. Can't afford to eat (Being denied food stamps even when you've proven you have exactly zero dollars sucks). You, however, probably can afford to eat and should.

6. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your body might be in starvation mode, as others have said this wil affect your metabolism and cause you to store extra adepose tissue. It can also affect your brain, mood and other bodily factors that will not function optimally due to lack of nutrients.

7. Beware Of You

What is starvation mode?

8. Nick07

I think that your body starts to concentrate on what is really important - your body organs and your brain. Everything that is not really needed for surviving is neglected, at least partly. It will be a long process, but it will eventually do the damage. That's why starving people experience hair loss, damaged joints, women lose the ability to have children etc.

9. Anonymous

You should probably eat at least two times a day. If that's too much food, try eating a small amount each meal, rather than one giant meal each day.
    Also think about how calories might contribute to this "one meal a day" thing. Try eating healthier, if that's the case.

10. Dans le placard

Having a large meal at lunchtime is by all means fine, but try and eat something in the morning and the evening, even if it's something as light as some fruit or a small sandwich. As others have said, humans are supposed to eat three or four meals a day, and you're not doing yourself much good by denying yourself that.

11. apostrophied

Add in breakfast and dinner. Start small and gradually increase portion sizes until you're eating two extra full meals. Eating once a day is a bad idea, you need more energy than that, and you need it spread out more so your body doesn't crash and starts saving all it can, causing weight gain. :frowning2:

ETA: Loneliness has this way of cutting our hunger. Why don't you invite a friend to dinner? You will eat better if you're with someone else who's eating. And of course, eat something tasty that makes you actually look forward to dinner.

12. etiggy

In the middle of moving to London.That's the plan.
    Nowadays everybody has a goddamn opinion about nutrition and everybody is so awesomely well read and of course could be a fully trained dietitian if they wanted to be but who cares about papers, you know.
    Eating is just what it sound like: eating. You could go for days without eating and no, it's not gonna cause you any problem, it's just feels uncomfortable. In the last century we got extremely lazy and comfortable about our meals, but in reality it's not at all that important as people makes it look like. You enjoy a beer or two on fridays? Newsflash: that one bottle probably fraks you up much more than skipping breakfasts or eating at mcdonalds. Live in a big city? Heh, your are pratically breathing poison in every minute of your day.
    People love to talk about healthy meals because it's probably the easiest way to make them feel like they actually did something to improve their health while I reality they are just pigging out with a spin.
    My take? I don't give a damn. I live sensibly, if I want a burger, I will have a burger with large fries and extra mayo, a pint of beer on the side, followed by a slice of cake. If i'm not hungry I won't force myself to eat. Why would anyone?!
    Will I get sick, will I die? Of course I will, everybody gonna get old, sick and die eventually. Will I get diabetic because I dare to have sweets? No. Will I get obese because I eat fries? No. Will I become an alcoholic because I have a beer? No.
    Nearly every healthy food protagonists nowadays sounds like my grandmother and truth to be told if you listen to what they say it's exactly the same: eat your veggies, otherwise you won't grow biiiiig and strooong, if you eat your carrots you will be able to see in the dark/learn to whistle better/become fraking spiderman, if you don't drink your milk your bones won't be strong enough, yadda yadda yadda...
    As a rule when dealing with people I always try to remember: 90% of the population are two digit idiots and even smart people tend to make mistakes because that's life. Think for yourself, don't believe what others tell you without thinking it over and looking at the other side of the coin.

13. Nick07

Nice :lol: You poor thing, how hard it is to live surrounded by all those idiots? :icon_bigg

The truth is you can get used very quickly to a poor diet. Sure, several days long starving won't do anything in most cases. Try several years. After some time, you won't feel hungry and starving become really easy.
    From personal experience - starving for several years WILL do damage to your health.

14. Nikky DoUrden

It is dangerous and CAN lead to health issues ... increases if you smoke too.

If you don't eat as many as your body needs and you don't "feel" hungry, your stomach will shrink and it will be HARDER to eat, that's why you must MAKE yourself eat, here are some tips :

1) eat small meals from time to time, which won't make you feel full (preferebly food that has fat in it, peanuts are good example)

2) when you eat your regular meal, try to add some to it, and don't eat it slow, because eating slow will make you feel more full before you finish it

3) some nutritional shakes, they are drinks that contain a lot of calories and nutritions

4) consult a Dietitian :slight_smile:

if you want to talk more about it you can also message me :thumbsup:

15. apostrophied

And the post quoted above, ladies and gentlemen, does not contain any opinions.

16. sammy1

NO...your better off eating many small meals through out the day...I heard that eating a big breakfast and a smaller lunch and an even smaller dinner is also better than one meal a day...that's not healthy.

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you live off one meal a day? Yes. Should you? Not if you can help it. Your metabolism's gonna go downhill fast, so you'll start retaining whatever you put in you as extra weight, and you'll probably be groggier. Happened to my boyfriend, and he's mad about how much weight he's gained and how sensitive he's gotten emotionally, but he still can't kick the one meal habit.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it is. I have found that I can do a late breakfast (combining breakfast and lunch, on select days) and dinner without much in the way of hunger pangs. I think the best thing to do is eat 3 small meals. Hunger pangs just don't feel good. They are signals the body sends out for a reason.