1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've been using sugar to get high

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by stocking, Dec 14, 2013.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been doing this since i was 19 it helps me de-stress , I don't want to use drugs or drink so it's the best option for me , I do it at my job because i hate my job and it makes me feel numb if i'm high on sugar I also do it a lot at home . The problem is diabetes run on my dad's side of the family so if i continue to do this i will probably get it by age 30 . I know I shouldn't but i just need some thing to self medicate The only person that knew about this was my ex boyfriend he kept begging me to stop but i never could it's very hard to get off a sugar high .
    I would normally eat candy from 8pm at night 2am sometimes to 5 or 6am . My ex thinks that i'm slowly killing myself but i just feel like i just need this now just to cope .
    What should i do to stop this behavior ?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is a task better delegated to a psychologist who could help you with this. You are right, of course, that much sugar will cause serious problems if it continues.

All the best, and do seek help!

3. Nick07

Do you eat enough? Because craving for sugar may be your body asking for energy. I believe that our brain simply needs sugar in some moderate amount. Or something that is chemically similar to it.
    People have addiction to chocolate. Maybe you could google some websites to learn more about the ways how to cope with that.

People who try to lose weight say that if they feel the urge to eat, they brush their teeth, or do some physical activity to feed their brain endorphins.

Some minerals may help you too. I don't remember so it is a wild guess, but perhaps chromium could help?

Also, people who started to eat a lot of vegetable say that they don't feel the urge to eat sweets.

So, you eat at night? You don't sleep then?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clearly you're self-medicating. So the real answer is, you have to address the underlying issue, and I don't think the underlying issue is just that you hate your job (though that undoubtedly contributes to it.)

I would pretty strongly suggest that seeing a counselor or therapist would be your best solution. When people simply try to cut out one addiction or self-medicating behavior and don't deal with the underlying problem, they invariably end up seeking out another behavior or addictive pattern, often a worse one.

The good news is, there are a lot of coping strategies that a qualified therapist or counselor will be able to help you develop so that you can find healthier ways of coping while you're working on the underlying issues. This isn't a difficult problem to resolve, but it likely will get worse if you don't address it sooner rather than later.

5. you are doing this as a drug substitute, the problem is - it is no better than any other chemical. Any escape is just that, an escape. You need to deal with whatever is the problem that you are trying to escape.

I simply getting off of the sugar and not getting help for whatever is causing you to want to get high won't do it. You will only find another escape. Even if it is not drinking or drugs it will be some other think that will probably harm you. Extreme dangerous activities, or sex addiction or whatever. All of which can harm you.

is there any way you can get professional counseling? even if just at a county clinic if you do not have insurance?

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have any insurance at the moment

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many options for free and low-cost counseling for people that don't have access to health coverage. Many universities have counseling centers where intern therapists work with clients on a sliding scale basis, and often there are community centers that offer such services. I'd suggest looking into that possibility.