1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kissing someone that has known HSV1 (oral herpes)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by prettylonely, Dec 16, 2013.

1. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    studies show that a large percentage% or more of the popular has oral herpes (virus that causes cold sores) so that means if you kiss someone they may have HSV1 even is no cold sore is present you can possibly get it from them. So you can't ask everyone their HSV1 status prior to kissing them. i guess you can but that's weird. also you can ask "hey do you ever get cold sores". if they say yes or i used to in the past, does that mean you rule them out from dating? also oral sex is scary because even if a sore is not present, you can transfer the oral herpes down to the genitals. i'm not sure how common this occurs but does anyone know? so basically i know if you see an active cold sore or one that is healing, no kissing or contacts with the lips, but if there's nothing there, it is relatively safe or it is russian roulette? any advice?

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although transmission of HSV (either type) is possible at any time, it generally only spreads when a sore is forming or visible. Sores tend to form relatively rapidly, so, from an HSV perspective, it's relatively safe. Also, for an otherwise healthy adult, HSV is mostly just a nuisance (sometimes somewhat painful one), and won't cause any serious effects, though it can have a side effect of locally weakening some of the body's defenses.

3. alwayshope11

Here's my question...they say you can get hsv1 down there but wouldn't you be kissing the guy first before he went down there so you'd be more likely to get it on your lips?

How do you guys not worry about herpes? Most men don't use condoms for oral and docs don't usually test for this so how can you not worrying? I want to get over this worry

4. Maeve

Herpes CAN spread even if a person has never shown any sign of infection. HSV1 is typically oral, but can be passed to the genital region. It doesn't really "like" it, so infection if there aren't any active sores is unlikely.

There's not really a ton you can do beside use condoms and not engage in activity if one person has visible sores.

5. alwayshope11

Would you use condoms for oral?

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You likely already have it. I remember reading somewhere that 80-90% of the population has it. Most people just don't know. Also, it can be transmitted by drinking from the same glass or bottle too, so I doubt there's really anything you can do to avoid getting it.

7. Maeve

Well, no, but I wouldn't have sex, especially oral, with a guy. Semen, ew. I would use dental dams, though. They make flavored condoms for a reason!

8. Yosia

Why are we reviving threads where the user has not logged on for a while?

9. Maeve

There are often questions about STIs, incincluding herpes. The advice is still good.

10. alwayshope11

Hahaha to your semen statement! Do you use dental dams all the time?

11. Maeve

I have only recently accepted my likely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:, so I have not had sex with a woman (unfortunately).

I think I would use dental dams in the beginning of a relationship, and then see how it progresses from there. I think it's pretty uncommon for lesbians to use them, but safer sex is good sex. (!)

12. badluckfairy

A lot of people get cold sores and they are difficult to avoid. You'd probably have to be really lucky, or really abstinant to avoid them totally. But I wouldn't kiss anyone with an active sore. I wouldn't let them go down on me either.

13. alwayshope11

Congrats on the self acceptance!!!

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think it's most contagious before the blister forms. I don't know, maybe it's just that once the blister forms people know not to kiss. I go to a church where everyone comes up and drinks out of the same cup. I figure that's got to be the surest way to spread it out to a thousand people in a short amount of time. It's pretty transmittable. I figure most everybody must have the HSV-1.

15. alwayshope11

True..I know I don't have it from a test like a year back but probably could have it gotten it by now..just don't want it on my genitals haha