1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimate examinations?..

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Myhipsdolie, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Myhipsdolie

(SLIGHTLY BLUNT AND STRAIGHT TO THE POINT)

Ok so basically I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor for an STI check up because I think it's wise due to some weird symptoms. I hope to get a female doctor because I would be more comfortable with one.

Anyway, has anyone ever had a check up as such? What do they do? Do they prod and poke around? Does it hurt?

I'm just very anxious about it s'all.

Thanks for any help everyone :slight_smile: :smilewave

#1 Myhipsdolie, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Silver Sparrow

I'm not sure, but I think you can probably request to have a female doctor.

3. flymetothemoon

Are you making an appointment? If so, you can tell them you would prefer a female doctor and they will try to get you one. I assume if you are going for something like that, you would go to a GYN and likely get a full exam? If so, they will likely do a pap smear, which is a little uncomfortable but not painful. They will also probably examine you to see whatever symptoms you are having. Most STD tests can be done with a blood test, so they will likely also take some blood for that.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doctors are trained not to care... You can ask for a female
    usually they don't even examine your 'area' and they just do a urine test or something, but that depends on the symptoms

5. Myhipsdolie

Thanks for the help guys!
    I'm a little more calm :slight_smile:

6. apostrophied

Honestly, I wouldn't have said this before I experienced it, but it's really no big deal. I've had a guy doctor shoving up a piece of God-knows-what up my vagina (I think?) all while asking me how grade 9 was going (it wasn't for an STI test, in case you're wondering lol). I had a female echo tech rub a goopy probe all over my chest for 20 minutes, and that was no big deal, and if I had to do it again with a male tech, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Basically, it freaks you out before you do it because you're probably over thinking it a lot. When it comes down to it, you just do it and you realize it's no big deal. They are really nice about it and will make a point to keep you as covered as possible. I found it far more unnerving to have my female doctor lifting my bra without warning to listen to my heartbeat, to be honest.

That said, if you have access to a female doctor, go for it. But definitely do not cancel or push back a procedure because of the doctor's or technician's gender. I've heard of people cancelling their echocardiograms because the tech was a guy. Your health is more important than that.

Good luck, you'll be okay!