1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cystic fibrosis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 19drummer88, Dec 25, 2013.

1. 19drummer88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, so, im in a realtionship with a guy who has been on and off hospital all year. It started with pneumonia in April, then inflamation, three biopsies of his lungs, Bronchitis. The docotrs even thought he could have tb (he coughed blood). Now he got the reuslts that he has cystic fibrosis; diagnosed at 26. he s devastated and even wanted to leave me as he doesnt want to be a burden to me. i dont really know how to deal with it either. does anyone of you have any experience with that disease (life expectancy; being able to do sports etc.)?

2. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    when I was in middle school, a girl at my school had cystic fibrosis. She was diagnosed when she was a baby and lived a pretty normal life for several years. I didn't know her that well, but I know she owned a horse and went horseback riding almost every day. She was in my PE class for two semesters (we were 11 then, if I remember correctly) and she was able to do everything that we were supposed to do. When she got a bit older, 15 I think, her disease got worse and it eventually got so bad that she couldn't go to school. She needed a lung transplant and was put on the waiting list. She passed away two days before she was supposed to have that lung transplant, aged 17.

The life expectancy is normally pretty long though, if I remember correctly. I tried to look it up now, but it doesn't really say how long. It just says it's a lifelong illness and it differs from person to person how quick the illness progresses. The girl I knew was told that she was supposed to do sports because that would help her battle the disease in her lungs better, apparently.

I'm so sorry about your boyfriend; CF is an awful disease. I can't imagine how horrible everything must be for you and him right now. sending big hugs of support your way xx