1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Dying

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by UnderARock, Jun 22, 2008.

1. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    Staring Today I am going to be home alone for 4 weeks. With this new found freedom I want to experiment with my hair. I want to try going blonde (I'm naturally brown/brunette as per photos in my gallery.) I really know nothing about hair dying, so any tips and advice would be great. I want something that doesnt look extreme. I'm concerned that i want to be able to undone it b4 my parents get back. Does if I get a pack with a female on the packing? Any tips would be great.

2. Willywilly92

Willywilly92 Guest

heres some advice, if u dont know wat ur doing dont dye ur hair. my sister tried it once when we were home alone and her hair ended up bleach blonde, she was tryin to make it just a little bit lighter. if u dont know wat ur doing it could be very expensive to fix it

3. KaraBulut

If you want to go darker, use a semi-permanent dye and it will have washed out before you parents return.

If you want to go lighter, save up and have it done at a salon by a professional. Lightening your hair can go tragically wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

4. Alexander

You can put hydrogen peroxide in your hair when you condition in the shower but only if it's standard 2.5 or 3 percent solution. Otherwise I wouldn't risk lightening.

5. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have fun, Im a chronic hair dyer, I use semi-prems so I can chnage my hair color like once every 5 weeks or so.

If you want to see what the color will look like either use a temp or snip a small piece of hair off and die that cause i guarrentee that the color that it'll turn will be different from the one on the box.

If your lighting your hair DO NOT use only a lighter die. I have your hair color and it will turn it orange if you simply add a blonde hair dye to your dark hair. If you want to die it lighter than you have to bleach it first than you can dye it to the appropriate color. It'll take a couple hours to do everything but its worth it in the end. Hope this helps.

6. revolutionrock

Hmm.

Well, my hair is (was, I guess) about the same shade of brown as yours. The only advice I have for you is be prepared to do multiple bleachings... and wait a couple days after each one.

I bleached my hair once and it came out a really crazy orange. Not like, normal red-head orange, like crazy bozo orange. I chickened out and dyed it back brown (it actually went to really dark red) but now it's fading and really noticeable. In retrospect, I think I should have just bleached it again.

If you have dyed hair, you should avoid bleaching. The metals in most dyes, when combined with the chemicals in bleach, will cause your hair to break off at the root.

I think you should go for it though! It's fun!

Oh, and make sure to do a strand test. I did one for about and hour and 45 minutes, and it was pretty light yellow, but I only left the bleach on for about an hour, just because it started to irritate my scalp.
    :slight_smile:

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't have much of an idea as to what you're doing, maybe you should try the temporary one and nothing permanent, that way if it doesn't come out as you want you it will go away faster.

8. Tim

Tim

Temporary Hair Dyes have the fact it's temporary all over the box. However, if you don't know what you're doing, ask a friend who does to do it for you. The chemicals can be quite dangerous, which is why my family doesn't dye their eyebrows when they dye their hair.

9. Alex

Real beaching is as permanent as it gets and will only go away when your hair grows and you cut it off again.
    So yes, save money and go to a hair dresser.

10. Trumpetplyer23

Advice, don't color your hair at home. I might sound like a stick in the mud, but seriously, the chemicals in the boxes of colour are seriously bad for your hair and if you decide you want to go to a salon for colouring or any other chemical service, they won't be able to perform the service. Why? Because if they put their chemicals on your hair after you put the color on there, your hair will burn. Literatly, it will burn. I'm dead serious.