1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourette's Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by HermioneGaynger, Dec 30, 2013.

1. I think I may be developing Tourette's. When I was younger I use to toe walk a lot but grew out of that around 2nd grade. Now I've noticed if I'm really stressed or frustrated I'll start flailing my arms, pacing and making noises. It's really annoying and I'm scared I'm gonna start doing it in public and get embarrassed. If anyone on here has Tourette's, does this sound like it? I don't want people to think I'm special or something.

2. Sarcastic Luck

No, it doesn't. Tourette's is more of a tic, like a muscle twitch. It happens regardless on if you're stressed or not, but stress will make it worse.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

That's not tourettes. Maybe a form of ADD? I'm not sure. Tourettes is more like a spasm.

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was going to be my suggestion, but I may just be looking for it became I have a tic.

5. i have tourettes and that doesnt sound like it.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tourette syndrome (also called Tourette's syndrome, Tourette's disorder, Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, GTS or, more commonly, simply Tourette's or TS) is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic. These tics characteristically wax and wane, can be suppressed temporarily, and are preceded by a premonitory urge. Tourette's is defined as part of a spectrum of tic disorders, which includes provisional, transient and persistent (chronic) tics.
    Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks (coprolalia), but this symptom is present in only a small minority of people with Tourette's.[1] Tourette's is no longer considered a rare condition, but it is not always correctly identified because most cases are mild and the severity of tics decreases for most children as they pass through adolescence. Between 0.4% and 3.8% of children ages 5 to 18 may have Tourette's;[2] the prevalence of other tic disorders in school-age children is higher, with the more common tics of eye blinking, coughing, throat clearing, sniffing, and facial movements. Extreme Tourette's in adulthood is a rarity, and Tourette's does not adversely affect intelligence or life expectancy.

While Wikipedia is not the be all end all, nor is this forum intended for medical advice, tics are usually something short lasted and uncontrollable. I have a friend who has a mild case of it, and it's a simple wrinkling of his nose followed by a blink.

I get whipped up into a frenzy when I'm stressed sometimes and exhibit what you say. If you are really worried ask a real medical professional.