1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin Health

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gazza123, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hey

I know I know it's been a long while since I posted something here on EC but I am back and feeling a lot better about myself.

Anyways...

I just wanted anyone's opinion on stuff like facial cleansing, moisturizing, face washes etc etc... you know the types of things I mean.

Currently I use nothing but cleansing wipes and warm water to clean my face. Bars of soap tend to dry my skin out and well I have used moisturizes before and they were sort of hit and miss. I think it's cause when I want to start something like that I tend to go a little O.T.T on things and maybe do too much.

I just want a little advice or what I could do etc etc. By the way my skin isn't exactly terrible but it's not where I want to it be either. I am also UK based as well so some products etc etc might not be available here or might be too expensive.

Also... Glad to back on EC :icon_bigg

2. thekillingmoon

I just use wash gel to wash my face in the morning, then apply moisturizing cream. It prevents my skin from getting dry. If your skin gets greasy you can use toner lotion. I usually do that in the evening.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My skin health has dramatically increased over the past three years, and I attribute it to a few things:
    1) Washing once daily with some Neutrogena face cleanser. It's cheap.
    2) Not letting skin get too dry.
    3) Drinking lots of water.
    4) Changing bed sheets once a week. You rub your oils all over your bedsheets for hours every night. Just think about it. They need to be changed frequently.
    5) Exercise.
    6) Acne medication.

I don't know if you have access to acne medication, but it is sooooooo awesome.
    It's just an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that clog up pores. It's not 100%, which is why I still drink lots of water and clean my bedsheets, but it really helps.
    It costs $5 every two months with insurance. Worth it.

4. apostrophied

My opinion? Don't use them.

They tend to do no better a job than a basic moisturizing lotion from a big bottle, cost a fortune, and for the medicated, anti-acne ones, irritate the skin even further, leading to an oil-pimple-medicated product vicious cycle.

Rinse your face with warm water in the shower and rub with your fingertips. Use lotion or a little bit of baby oil if it gets a bit dry during the winter. Soap is really bad, I agree, it dries my skin, too. =/

Of course, if you have severe dryness, you might need a special moisturizer to counter it (Cetaphil is good), but otherwise, take it from someone with much experience with these kinds of issues: less is more...

ETA: Many face washes are as bad if not worse than soap because they contain sulfates (usually sodium lauryl sulfate, but there are various similar chemicals that go by similar and not-so-similar names). These are extremely drying, especially for sensitive skin. If you insist on using one, try getting something 100% natural and soap/detergent-free from a health-food store or something. Expensive, but less likely to dry out your skin.

Good luck!

#4 apostrophied, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014