1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIDS/ HIV Cases Rising

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BitterEdge, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

There was an article on msn, don't have a link, that said cases among MSM were up this year.

I encourage all those who are sexually active to get tested. This is not enough though, we must get the public educated and increase funding to researchers who are looking for a cure for the disease.

:help:

2. MeskElil

I know this is a dumb-kid question, but if you and your partner have not been sexually active (i.e. are both virgins), it is impossible to get AIDS, right? I mean, it has to be transferred from person to person (through body fluids like saliva and blood, but mainly through intercourse), right?

3. LOVEjames

Someone could be born with AIDS, so it's not always safe, but it's a good bet. Almost everyone born with AIDS is aware of it, so they'll let you know.

4. Alexander

People aren't born with aids. People can be born with HIV.

5. LOVEjames

o.o Sorry. I totally knew that, don't know why I typed AIDS.

6. Alexander

hehe, sorry if that's a bit nit-picky :grin:

I just hate hate hate when people mix them up.

7. LOVEjames

No problem, I'm a grammar whore, so I know the feeling. xD

8. Trumpetplyer23

Well, you can be a virgin but still have HIV/AIDS. Like James said, you can be born with HIV, but they're aware and they'll tell you.

However, you can also get HIV/AIDS through dirty needles used for tattooing, piercing, or drug abuse.

HIV/AIDS is transmitted through four body fluids; semen, vaginial fluid, blood, and breast milk. As long as you are careful, you shouldn't get infected though.

The only way you can actually get it into your body besides intercourse would be one of those four fluids entering a cut or sore on your body or like I said, getting a tattoo or piercing with a needle that was previously used by or on someone with HIV or AIDS.

I hope that cleared some stuff up for you.

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

You're exactly right. Getting people educated on HIV/ AIDS is important and I believe it is the GBLT community who must lead in that effort.

10. Corny

Corny Guest

Others already mentioned that you can be born with HIV, although this is kinda rare here. But what I want to tell you: don't assume somebody is a virgin just because he told you so :wink: Some say that to make themselves more interesting, others maybe out of shame or for whatever reason - this one of the things that often is lied about. Just keep that in mind.

11. Uncertain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's true, they said it in the time magazine as well. Despite "straight" transmissions having gone down, "gay" transmissions went up quite considerably recently.

Get tested if you practised unsafe sexual behaviour, and I suppose more importantly is to practice safe sex all the time. Otherwise, the homophobes' who use HIV as an excuse will in time think their discrimination is justified to an extent.

12. Trumpetplyer23

Uncertain is right.

The only reason I know so much is because of Health class. Other than that, my school doesn't really talk about it (besides Life Skills, and they teach you everything from sex to after birth). And my parents don't know everything either.