1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way to get protein without eating meat?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by andrew812, Jan 13, 2014.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

What is the best way to get protein without eating meat?

2. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m a pescatarian, so I do not eat meat, but I do eat fish, so I get a lot of my protein from fish.

But, if you want to not eat fish either, beans, tofu, nuts, protein bars, eggs, protein shakes, whey protein(it comes in a powder) mixed with mixed with milk or a smoothie are good supplements for protein.

3. bassmaster

You are basically left with some vegetable proteins like peas, dairy (cottage chz, greek yogurt, milk) soy products, whey (which you'll find in protein shakes) or protein bars. Be careful of protein bars as they contain allot of sugar. Sytha 6, made by BSN is a good protein shake mix. Contains a variety of protein mixes, fiber, and low sugar. However this is probably one of those ask 6 people get 6 answers type a deal. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 11:45 AM ----------

Yes... beans and nuts. And also eggs.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Combinations of different vegetables and nuts and stuff should get you your essential amino acids.
    Buddhists have this dowb to a fucking art, man.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Typo. I meant down, not whatever dowb is.

6. apostrophied

Beans, tofu, dairy products (mostly cheese, like cottage cheese and cheddar cheese---not French cheeses or Kraft Singles), fish.

I'd stay away from these protein shake things, they contain so much protein that it would be easy to overdose. Excess protein is bad for your bones. Plus I'm pretty sure that real food is yummier and cheaper anyway, and it also contains tons of other important nutrients.

7. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
  8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excess protein is a harder to metabolize set of organic bio macromolecules than lipids are (fats).

Your body uses carbohydrates first then lipids second, it only degrades protein when necessary. So do not overcompensate eating too much protein supplements. They will easily add extra weight.

9. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm on this Nazi diet from my gym, and they want me to only eat organic food. I think giving up meat might be a good change in pace for me. I have been eating nothing but eggs for the past 5 days, and I have to say it's getting old quick. I might try beans, nuts, and tofu like you guys have suggested.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fish, fish, and did I mention fish?

Why deprive yourself of life's normal pleasures and go "Nazi," like you say? Just monitor your caloric intake.

I used to hate fish, for the smell and having to deal with scales. However, some types of fish which lend themselves to fileting are tasty, less odorous or not odorous, low in fat, and high in protein. It is one of the best foods out there. Shellfish does not qualify. These types of fish have some bad fat and cholesterol qualities. Also, there is supposedly a condition where you have to cap how much protein you take in, or it could set some blood and urine tests off, but most people with a balanced diet don't get there.

Good luck with this eating adventure.

11. Mogget

Just about every food has protiens, since protiens are the building blocks of the body. In general a well-balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, and legumes as well as a moderate amount of grains should give you everything you need.

12. thekillingmoon

Mushrooms are good too.

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Should I go there? :wink:

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love them or hate them. I love them.

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2014 at 04:55 PM ----------

I'm guessing this is more visual. LOL.

15. apostrophied

Only organic food? I hope the gym membership is free, 'cause you're gonna need to save that moolah... :confused:

16. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

No kidding. Gym membership is like $160 a month, but buying these groceries are going to put me in the poor house!

17. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Probably the highest protein-filled food that is completely un-animal produced would be legumes, beans, etc.

18. apostrophied

Honestly, I'd be concerned that if I limited myself to only organic food, I wouldn't get a very complete diet. A) because there are only so many things that one can buy organic, B) because organics cost 1.5 to 3 times as much as regular food, so unless you start eating 1.5 to 3 times less food, you're going to have a bit of a problem sooner or later.

What kind of gym is this? And how strict is the whole organic thing? I mean, it's not like they'll know if you eat *gasp* regular beans, right? =/

19. Mogget

You might want to look into Planet Fitness instead. My gym membership there is just $10/mo plus an annual $30 fee.

20. PurpleGrey

It's very hard to make up nutrients with vegetables and whatnot. Personally, I believe people were not designed to live on just plants. We even have an organ or whatever it is specifically for digesting raw meat. I myself would get very weak and sick without dead animals in my diet. Anyway, maybe it's just me, but there's something very wrong in a gym controlling your diet. I dunno, is this some different sort of gym than I'm thinking of?