1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pain in the rear...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nerdtendo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Nerdtendo

I've had this little bump on the rim of my backside for a while now. It's sort of like a mushy pea, and I'm scared to death of it (I was told that testiculer canser can be found by a pea-like bump, and it's the same story in the land down under)! I first thought it was just some zit (couldnt see it well at first), so I tried to pop it...it hurt, but it didnt go away. Now, I'm just conserned that it might be some sort of canser... EC, should I tell my mother or a doctor about this?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

3. Nerdtendo

...wow, I think thats it. Thanks, Paul! ...uhhm I read the whole page, and to my understanding, it's uncomftrable, but it isnt exactly deadly, right? I'm obviously going to treat it, but just so I know I'm notliving with something that will kill me, right?

4. KaraBulut

It's a swelling of a blood vessel. They itch or burn and will bleed sometimes but they are not cancer or anything serious. Most people get them at one time or another.

At the grocery store or drugstore, you can buy cremes to treat it. At the drugstore, look for a creme that is usually with the laxatives and antacids- it will be labeled "hemorrhoid creme" and should have hydrocortisone in it. In the US, Tucks is a common brand or hemorrhoid creme and I think this is also a UK brand.

It's also possible to get them on the inside of your anus (where you can't see it or feel it with your finger but it still itches/burns)- the inside hemorrhoids can be treated with suppositories that are also available at the drug store.

The other thing that will help is if you increase the fiber in your diet. Straining when going to the bathroom tends to aggravate hemorrhoids, so increasing the fiber will help soften your bowel movements. Foods with fiber include breakfast cereals, vegetables and whole wheat breads. There's also a supplement fiber drink that helps- in the US we have a brand called Citrucel that is very good (http://www.citrucel.com/)- it may also be available in the UK.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

KaraBulut answered it very well.

To just answer your last question, no it won't kill you. It is not a serious condition, it is very common, and the treatment and prevention are straightforward. You don't even need to see a doctor about it (unless it persists and the drug-store treatments don't work).

I know you are in the USA, but for those in the UK a well-known brand of treatment creme here is Anusol. It is available from the major grocery stores like Tesco as well as chemists like SuperDrug. There are also fibre supplements available from the same type of stores.

6. panda

The most incredible hemorrhoid relief I found is something called "ANUREX" .It's like a mini frozen butt-plug that you insert for 6-8 minutes.
    It's kept in the freezer until use.
    I found it worked really well where none of the creams or ointments did much.
    I don't know how widely distributed it is.
    It's distributed by Back-to-Nature Products, Aurora,Ontario. L4G 6H8
    It really does work