1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varicocele

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 19drummer88, Jan 19, 2014.

1. 19drummer88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, so I've been told by my urologist that I have a varicocele. I ve been considering having it removed etc as I think it's kinda uncomfortable while doing sports, it's ugly (you can see it) and I just don't like knowing that there's something that could cause infertility (...yes I know I'm gay...still I dont want to be infertile)

Does anyone of you have a varicocele or any experience witrh different op-techniques (which one is probably the best one etc)?

2. Today I learned what that was. And if it hurts I'd say remove it, but if it's purely cosmetic you should give it a bit more thought. IMO it doesn't look that bad from pictures, but I'm not exactly a testicle expert (obviously lol.)

3. Cryptkeeper

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought this was a kind of pasta until I googled it. I hope everything gets resolved for you!

4. K2 40YOV

K2 40YOV Guest

I had 4 of them on one side when I was 18. Had them operated on because it really bulged and was extremely uncomfortable with sports. Before surgery I had fertility test and it was definitely subdued (having all that pooled blood there raises the temp of the testes which isn't good for sperm production... why are nuts are outside the body in the first place)

My first surgery... they went in orthoscopicly via the femoral vein of my right leg and inserted a tiny steel spring in the faulty vein (causes blood to clot and seals the vein). Surgery worked but I still had the symptoms... somehow they missed there were 3 more still there. 6 months later they went in via my carotid vein on my neck. BTW, you are awake for the procedure. Anyway, they went through my superior and inferior vena clava to get down to the groin and that little tickle caused me to go in to shock and I passed out on the vertical table. I woke up horizontal to a room full of concerned doctors so I kinda think I died for a few secs... no worries, I pass out all the time :wink: They finished the procedure closer to horizontal and it was totally effective.

22 years later, I have had a child... always a niggling concern as I never went back to jerk off at the hospital to see if my stats were up after the surgery. My left test does have a bit of loose tissue around it and its sensitivity is slightly less the the right side.

Other than that, no complaints. Get the surgery, you feel way better... not having to constantly nut tuck to get it in a comfortable position.

BTW, that was 22 years ago... they probably just shoot you with a laser from space these days while you are sleeping and get it done :wink:

hope this helps.

5. 19drummer88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cryptkeeper: it does feel a bit like having pasta around your spermatic duct so you weren't that wrong :wink:

K240YOV: thank you for your answer. I think i'll go with embolization, which sounds like an improved procedure (with regard to your treatment):

"Varicocele embolization is an image-guided procedure that uses a catheter to place a tiny coil and/or embolic fluid in a blood vessel to divert blood flow away from a varicocele.

A varicocele is an enlarged and lengthened vein in a man's scrotum. It can cause pain, swelling and infertility. A clinical examination can confirm the presence of a varicocele and an ultrasound examination may allow further evaluation of the findings.

Varicocele embolization safely relieves that pain and swelling and may improve sperm quality for infertile couples."

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it all depends how big it is and whether you feel pain at all.

If urologist says no harm in keeping it then the choice is yours. I expect it is quite a minor procedure and you would be under anaesthetic?

7. K2 40YOV

K2 40YOV Guest

I did have embolization. The tiny coil is the spring I mentioned. The catheter does not go up your penis to get there like a bladder catheter... they have to cut into a large vein and the catheter goes down the vein network till it reaches the varicose vein.